Remo Powerstroke 3 or Evans EQ3?

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
I'm trying to decide between these two heads (or any others if possible).

I just punctured my stock head on my Yamaha (it's been on there for a number of years, just never got around to replacing it). This was actually a good thing because I'm going to start recording here pretty soon with my kit. I need a head that will have enough lows to keep you going but a well-defined thud and attack. I'm using an Audix D6 right in front of the kick resonant head (there's a big rip in it from me cutting a hole and then accidentally tearing it, don't ask). I don't think I *need* to replace the resonant head, maybe I should? If the mic is pointing inward through the hole, won't it be fine?

I guess I was asking about the beater head in the first place. I like evans heads but Ive heard the Remo Powerstroke 3 is good too. I have a 22" bass drum.

What's a good beater head, and resonant head if I need one? I play heavy rock style drumming (think Foo Fighters or Sunny Day Real Estate). Thanks!

Well, i dont know about the eq3, but the powerstroke 3 is (i think) remo's most popular bass drum head. I would definitely go with that one. Also, Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters uses it, so if thats your kind of music then there you go!

For the resonant, i would suggest an ambassador. Pretty standard for resonants in general

The PS3 is extremely popular...I run it on both sides of my kick and I love the deep thunder I get. Do a search on the forums and you'll see lots of opinions and info on it.

Thanks guys, another question here - when mic'ing a kick drum, is it essential or important to have a non-damaged resonant head?

The "rip" in my resonant head consists of a hole that is oblong and 10" wide, and the whole rip across including the open hole is 15" and is about 3 inches to 10 inches from the bottom of the kick drum.

I am pretty tight for money and i need to purchase some new tom heads and a snare head as well; just curious if this was an essential replacement if I was to be recording. I am placing the microphone about 2-3 inches from the oblong "hole" in the kick drum. Thanks!

Thanks guys, another question here - when mic'ing a kick drum, is it essential or important to have a non-damaged resonant head?

The "rip" in my resonant head consists of a hole that is oblong and 10" wide, and the whole rip across including the open hole is 15" and is about 3 inches to 10 inches from the bottom of the kick drum.

I am pretty tight for money and i need to purchase some new tom heads and a snare head as well; just curious if this was an essential replacement if I was to be recording. I am placing the microphone about 2-3 inches from the oblong "hole" in the kick drum. Thanks!

i would assume that the resonant head should be intact. It would produce a cleaner sound. But you could always try recording with the ripped one and see how that sounds if you want to save some money. I think you will want another head though.

That is a huge rip...If I were you, I would pick up a Remo Ambassador for the reso

I'm currently using Evans cause I wanted to try the EMAD to see what all the hype was about, but used PS3 for years. Go with the PS3. You'll love it. EQ3 is a nice head also. I put one on my son's PDP kit and it sounds good, just think the PS3 has a bit more punch to it.

As for the ripped reso, replace it before you record. If you're tight on bucks, try to record without it.

The PS3 is extremely popular...I run it on both sides of my kick and I love the deep thunder I get. Do a search on the forums and you'll see lots of opinions and info on it.

After reading a number of the threads Zam notes (thanks folks!), I changed out the stock reso head on my Mapex Birch kit and put on a ported PS3. It's paired with an Aquarian Super Kick II batter.

I cannot tell you what a difference this made. It sounds like a damn cannon going off. I'm running the bass wide open with no additional muffling. After I had it tuned up and attached pedal and started stomping, I couldn't stop. My wife ran down to see what the hell was going on....I just smiled and kept stomping.

If you want full, thundering bass, this may be a combo to try. I'm never switching to anything else...

Cheers!

Good call replacing the reso... even though the mic is placed through the hole, there is a good chance you might pick up some distortion from the ripped skin. You'll save yourself some possible problems arising once you've already started recording.

I know you've already got the skins you need, but if you dig your bass drum with some serious thunder, you should check out the Aquarian Force series resonant head (with no port). I doubt it's the best head for recording because it's really open and kind of wild, but if you want to add your neighbours to that list of people running to see what the hell is going on in your house, give it a try.

I personally use it with the Force I Batter in combination with it, but I've tried it with the Superkick II as well. It's definitely one of the best reso heads I've come across, especially if you don't use internal muffling. I always leave my kick wide open, I'll just change the tuning, or change to a drier skin if need be.

Anyways, good luck recording.

go with an EMAD or an EMAD2.....that's all. you won't be disappointed.

Remo PS3 Coated--big warm sound
Remo PS3 Clear-big fat sound with attack
EMAD2-deep sound, but weird hollow boinky qualities at certain tuning, while plasitc slappy sounds at others (that's what I've got right now and I hope to replace it soon)
EQ1--not bad, probably Evans' best bass head

go with an EMAD or an EMAD2.....that's all. you won't be disappointed.

Well, he might be. I certainly was. I did not like the EMAD's at all.

PS3 is a single ply head with a control ring.

EQ3 is a 2 ply head with a control ring and an additional mylar ring tucked between the control ring and the head

My personal choice is a clear PS3 batter with an ebony PS3 either ported or unported as needed. I use an Evans EQ pad with the smaller end in contact with the batter for muffling.

I actually bid on an EQ3 and won one the other day, I was going to go with the PS3 but this one was a good deal.

I'll let you know (or hear) how it sounds. Thanks for the help, guys!

I'm in love with my Remo Powersonic 22"! I have read some threads that clam that this head sounds dead. In my opinion, if you know how to properly tune a bass head, that there is not a better head out there! And it gives you options, for a open sound or be it a fat thud with quick delay. Give it a try!

History repeats itself on this forum so many times, when will the ape learn?

I have to say, I normally use Aquarian Superkick II on my bass. I've tried Evans EQ3 before and wasn't a big fan, although I swear by Evans heads on every other drum. I don't really ever buy Remo, but a few weeks back I picked up a Powerstroke because GC was out of Superkicks, and let me say I am EXTREMELY impressed with this head. I currently have an Aquarian Regulator as my reso head and with the Powerstroke, my bass sounds like a thing of beauty. It has a ton of umph to it, but still very punchy. I don't particularly like Remo, but the Powerstroke is a fantastic head and I definitely recommend it to anyone.

(Geez, I sound like a damn "testomonial" on an infomercial :) )

Last edited:
Back