Which cowbell mount won't damage my bass drum?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I know some of them clamp down on the hoop and others clasp on the edges of the hoop. I'm thinking the ones that clasp the edges of the hoop will not leave scratches.

Has anyone looked into this?

Give it its' own mount and have it just over your floor tom. I got one of those Danmar cowbell mounts that attaches to a cymbal stand and it works out great. I haven't had to worry about messing up my bass drum hoop for a while now. I thought I wouldn't be able to play it correctly without it being in the center of the kit as it would be mounted on the bass drum in the usual place, but it's working out so far.

I used to use this LP mount that was huge and it had its own L-arm for the cowbell, and then I realized just that piece alone is about four pounds! But I needed that because I use a rather large LP Mambo bell - which is probably overkill for the classic stuff I end up doing, so I'm searching for a smaller bell, like a 5-inch classic bell - whatever Charlie Watts used on Honky Tonk Woman - you can use on everything ;)

Actually I have a cymbal stand mount and I'm going to see if I like it today but I got comfy with a bass drum mounted cowbell at the practice rooms last year and I just think it's an ideal place to put it.

Money is no object Bo!

At least not with cowbell mounts.

I just use an adhesive rubber or felt strip (the kind designed to protect furniture) in between the jaws of the clamp. Some of the newer mounts include it already, but if they don't it's an easy DIY fix.

Well, for years I've used this one. Like I said, it's made by Latin Percussion and it came with the L-arm that fits the mounting hole in the cowbell. The hoop clamp is rather large and it it'll hold my big mambo bell with no problems.

Attachments

• cowbell-mount.jpg
    cowbell-mount.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 404
The DW hoop clamp has a lightly padded inside & grips the edge of the hoop. I use the hoop-mounted spurs (same clamp piece), and have no trouble with scratches or any kind- though for right now I'm using a cymbal stand-mounted tom arm for my cowbell.

The DW hoop clamp has a lightly padded inside & grips the edge of the hoop. I use the hoop-mounted spurs (same clamp piece), and have no trouble with scratches or any kind- though for right now I'm using a cymbal stand-mounted tom arm for my cowbell.

+1 for the DW mount. It is the best, by far, that I've used to mount a cowbell. Check out this YouTube link:

http://youtu.be/XS9iRtOdDGw

Thanks very much.

Question 2 - what's the best cowbell?

Haha

I just got a Meinl hand hammered gold finish 6.5" cowbell the other day. I'm not really a cowbell expert (my only one before this was some no-name $20 piece of crap) but it matches lathed cymbals in its look (and looks pretty damn fine doing it) and sounds like a cowbell!

It also came with two little adhesive/foam pads for muffling and a small Meinl sticker, which is now on my kick head.

I have the DW as well, works great but, I normally use the LP mount and put it on my HH stand
LP236C-2.jpg

The Tama CBA5 mount/arm is terrific, let's the cowbell sit right next to your hats so you can alternate from hat to cowbell without reaching elsewhere on the kit.

Bermuda

Moooo

Yes I have a tama one that mounts to a cymbal stand but it just doesn't reach far enough to be useful anywhere other than under the hats (not a fan). My cowbell is an LP matador wrapped in gaffer tape, I think I like the bigger lower pitched ones.

whatever Charlie Watts used on Honky Tonk Woman - you can use on everything ;)

Pretty sure that's a Ludwig cowbell, you know the copper looking ones. I used to have one and it sounded like Charley's.

Moooo

Yes I have a tama one that mounts to a cymbal stand but it just doesn't reach far enough to be useful anywhere other than under the hats (not a fan). My cowbell is an LP matador wrapped in gaffer tape, I think I like the bigger lower pitched ones.

You should try the LP Mambo bell - it's big and black, low pitched enough. It's about the same size as their Rock Bowbell, but flatter. I like it, but alot of times it seems overkill just due to the size. I think the smaller one is called a Black Beauty, standard 6" or so?

And Larry - I think the LP cha cha bell (small 5") sounds just like the Charlie Watts Ludwig bell, but probably too efficient!

I tried all the LP's and the pearl horacio Hernandez blows them all away. A deep one would be the HH4. You can get so many sounds out of that thing (curved side up) , it is unbelievable.

Back