John Dolmayan

• Thread starter System_Of_A_Slipknot
  • Start date
Re: Jon Dolmayan

Class A Drummer said:
maybe i didnt click it. jeez chill out. ill say it one more time, your a jerk.

Not to be mean, or anything, but don't they teach the fundamentals of grammar and spelling anymore? If you're in such a hurry (giving you an out here), why bother posting... I hate CAPS lock as much as the next guy, but ill really doesn't come close to I'll, and your means something completely different from you're. Here, I'll give you an example... Your arguments carry a lot more weight when you're a better commnuicator. See, now that wasn't too bad, was it? You may eventually become a great drummer, but nobody will know it if you can't communicate clearly and effectively away from the kit.

-Michael

TMC, can you please give me a hug? Bad grammar and spelling are two of my biggest pet hates around here. Not to pick on anybody, but translating from 'idiot' sometimes takes a while.

i like Jon.. hes smooth, quick, knows the groove and how to lay it... i liked SOAD's earlier stuff but some of their really dumb songs get on my nerves..

Mediocrefunkybeat said:
TMC, can you please give me a hug? Bad grammar and spelling are two of my biggest pet hates around here. Not to pick on anybody, but translating from 'idiot' sometimes takes a while.

Dude, consider yourself hugged...

Rock on!
-Michael

tmc said:
Dude, consider yourself hugged...

Rock on!
-Michael

Hooray! You just made me very happy on the inside.

beatsMcGee said:
i like Jon.. hes smooth, quick, knows the groove and how to lay it... i liked SOAD's earlier stuff but some of their really dumb songs get on my nerves..

Hey beatsMcGee.

Jon is good, I like listening to him. I agree about their 'dumb songs", but I am impressed with their discography. In fact, I'm looking forward to their next album.

-Michael

Re: john dolmayan of system of a down

Stu_Strib said:
I took the Stu_Strib test with Dolmayan. Yep, that dude can play.

The test is, you listen to the music, then try to copy the style and feel of the seemingly easy sounding bits.

And damn, is his style unique and hard to copy.

Toxicity is a perfect example. Its not physically or musically challeging, its just really hard to nail.

He is the reason I started playing in bands. He is my biggest influance. I actully gets to me when people write him off as an ok drummer.

Re: john dolmayan of system of a down

Stu_Strib said:
I took the Stu_Strib test with Dolmayan. Yep, that dude can play.

The test is, you listen to the music, then try to copy the style and feel of the seemingly easy sounding bits.

And damn, is his style unique and hard to copy.

Toxicity is a perfect example. Its not physically or musically challeging, its just really hard to nail.

I tried it too, but it's partly made hard because there is no band playing with me to give my playings fell a setting if you know what i mean...

I don't understand why people bag on "Steal This Album". It's one of my favorites - definitely higher on my list than their last two. I guess if you like SOAD because you're really an angry angst-filled person that album might upset you because it's so damn fun. Catchy and pointless and fun. Great for long drives.

Personally, I lost interest in System of a Down when they released "Mesmerize" and "Hypnotize." They really had the metal sound going for them in the self-titled debut. I enjoyed the anger on that album. "Toxicity" was a more mature album, but still had that metal sound to it.
Despite my lost interest in SOAD, I thoroughly enjoy Mr. Dolmayan's drumming. Being Armenian like he is, I see where he gets some of his licks from. He is influenced by Armenian and Middle Eastern music, and the smooth way in which he incorporates those influences is extremely impressive. Solid. Just solid.

John is very...very...very Armenian!;)armenians will understand me=)
And he is so sweeeet!!!That's why I can't stop thinkin of him=(

John is an awesome drummer and soad rules. Why do you hate their last albums? Holy mountains, hypnotize, soldier side... they 're all brilliant songs!

His drumming style is quite possibly the most original of all the new metal bands. U can listen to a new metal band and tell its soad because of John Dolmayans drumming. I do not agree with his choice of cymbals though. Paiste=bad.

I'm sad to say: Daron should quit singing forever. He's a fine guitarist, but the boy should quit singing. He was the downfall of Mes/Hyp. I loved Steal This Album and System of a Down, and toxicity was pretty good, but Daron didn't sing. John is a great drummer though. His more exotic rhythms and grooves are always fun to listen to.

I dont think Daron should stop all together. Listen to Ego Brain with your headphones on and just focus of his vocals. For me it really makes the song. The early albums he didnt sing much but I think they got it spot on for Steal. Its the perfect ammount of Daron which isn't much and its more harmonies than a full on annoying song like Lonely Day (this coming from a huge soad fan that still loves every album so much) but saying that anyone who saw System on their tours for the mez/hyp tours has to agree that Serj's voice is not what it used to be and hopefully a long break is what he needs to get it back.

But to move back on topic I think its a huge shame that John is not planning to do any drumming in the break, just his comic store. I'd love to hear what he can do in some diffrent styles.

Yea, I was wrong in saying he should quit altogether, but he doesn't have the voice to be a lead singer at all.

i think jon is a great drummer, not tht he writes his own stuff but he contributes to it so much and makes the song wat it is!

he's not one of those drummers that just thrashes out on toms the whole time (joey jordison cough cough)...

the only problem is, he's c**p live!!

whot do u think of him?

crap live???? what are you talking about? have you ever seen the live videos. he's solid as heck! awesome drummer.

crap live???? what are you talking about? have you ever seen the live videos. he's solid as heck! awesome drummer.

He was at his best on some MTV Europe awards show but other then that theyre good live.Check them out on youtube.

Back