What else have you guys used besides Moongel?

Moongels are expensive and they move around. If you hit one them, it's usually ruined. Most drum companies have stopped offering internal mufflers. Ludwig drums can still be ordered with the mufflers(Tone Control) as an option or you can buy just the muffler itself. The normal cost is around $20 each. The Ludwig mufflers tend to rattle a bit and can be annoying in the studio. I have fixed this problem with everything from duct tape to silicone gel.

I use the "Felt Fix" ...

Closer to the rim yields a bit drier sound, and you may try different sizes, it's cheap clean and best of all works!

More about it here

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=913305&postcount=15

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=913309&postcount=16

FeltFix.jpg
I use these also. :)

Moongels are expensive and they move around. If you hit one them, it's usually ruined. Most drum companies have stopped offering internal mufflers. Ludwig drums can still be ordered with the mufflers(Tone Control) as an option or you can buy just the muffler itself. The normal cost is around $20 each. The Ludwig mufflers tend to rattle a bit and can be annoying in the studio. I have fixed this problem with everything from duct tape to silicone gel.

indeed they are expensive, but Ive never had one move and never ruined one (and Ive hit them countless times) Curious as to how they move and why/how you could ruin them>?

F

Back in the day all quality sets had internal tone controls. Why they ever did away with them is beyond me.

I experimented with Moongel and rings.

Finally, being "old school", I bought and installed Ludwig internal tone controls in every drum (except the kick) in my Gretsch Catalina Club set.
It's a little bit of work, you have to take the drum apart and do a little planning and use care when you decide to drill but in my opinion it's by far the best solution. You can go from full on to completely off and anything in between with a few quick turns. Besides I think they look cool and give the drums a little bit of that "high end" look.

I have never had a problem with them rattling.

Last edited:
In 1968, I had a then "state of the art" Rogers Dynasonic metal snare, 14x5. That high end drum had an internal tone control, just like the Ludwigs. It never ratted, but I never understood the proper way to use it either. Most guys over cranked them, as I did. some purists insist that anything inside the drum disrupts the flow of sound waves is bad. I can't argue that, but I never heard a difference. Most Symphonic players use handkerchiefs or wallets. Works fine for them! Now I use moon gels, and I don't care if it leaves a blue spot. No one sees it but me, and that's nothing compared to what sticks and brushes do . . .

Back