What else have you guys used besides Moongel?

BigDinSD

Gold Member
I had a spare Evans ST I just put onto a PDP ACE Brass Snare 6.5 x 14. Got the ACE on sale off the shelf, complete with the worn-down head.

It has a nice crack to it, and needs just a little bit of control. I would probably buy an ST Dry next, because I do like a little ring to it. However, the ST has a little more ring and overtone for me.

Can you guys recommend something besides moongel? I prefer not to buy it because I don't really use it.

I've heard duct tape, scotch tape over cloth strips, wallet, dollar bill, sticky toys...

I'm looking for something that I can remove without leaving too much mess.

thanks!

34 AA breasts work well....

go to the dollar store and get those gel things that kids stick on windows...same stuff, lots cheaper.

F

go to the dollar store and get those gel things that kids stick on windows...same stuff, lots cheaper.

F

I'll keep an eye out for those. My kids used to stick them on the window. After a year, I finally peeled them off and tossed them.

The rings work nicely but really if you get some gaff tape instead of duct tape which leaves residue, you would be better off. just tear of a piece and create little folds 2 or 3 and you are good to go. works really well for me

The rings work nicely but really if you get some gaff tape instead of duct tape which leaves residue, you would be better off. just tear of a piece and create little folds 2 or 3 and you are good to go. works really well for me

Would electical tape remove cleanly? Hoping not to have to get a roll of gaff tape, since I don't see myself using after.

Would electical tape remove cleanly? Hoping not to have to get a roll of gaff tape, since I don't see myself using after.

You only tape the edge of the "0" ring to the hoops, any eventual residue from a piece of electrical tape is easily removed..:)

The "0" ring work on the principle that when you hit the heads, the ring "lift" from the batter head, letting the precious little frequencies to freely resonate, and almost imediately cut the overtones when returning to it's original position, so you don't actually tape the ring to the batter head.

When I use a "0" ring, I just let it rest on the batter head, no tape needed...

Ok - so I went with the original drumhead that came with the snare and made an O ring.
Now, it had been under tension for some time, while on the display room shelf. Seen its share of stick action too. So that wear and stretching did not allow it to lay perfectly flat around its 360 degree edge. Kinda was a little wrinkled in a spot or 2.

However, the imperfect contact to the head allowed for some natural ringing, like it was slightly muffled. That was my target. If I flip the ring over, it contacts the head more. I guess because the edge of the ring curled up due to contact with bearing edge (???)

I probably would be afraid to lose the ring, if I gigged with this snare. I use it for practice - so I'm OK until I get a dry head. You know, those guitar guys are always helpful but will bang into the doorway with your gear or lose an O ring some where... :)

O rings all the way.... Depending on the depth of the ring depends on the deadening of the resonance.. I used to use an Evans Power center dot natter head with 'Evans E Rings' they were 2 inches deep, I now use an Evans HD dry head and Remo E rings which are only 1 inch deep.. sounds nicer too

Its worth experimenting to get the sound you want...

O rings all the way.... Depending on the depth of the ring depends on the deadening of the resonance.. I used to use an Evans Power center dot natter head with 'Evans E Rings' they were 2 inches deep, I now use an Evans HD dry head and Remo E rings which are only 1 inch deep.. sounds nicer too

Its worth experimenting to get the sound you want...

Question: Do you still get at least a little ring from the HD Dry? And what snare do you have it on (metal or wood)? I have an HD Dry on my DW Collectors maple. Quite dry, but clean - crisp crack.

The Ace is brass, so I still wanted a smidge of tone - ring in there.

That ring and overtone are why you buy a brass drum in the first place. I just got one of those $99 Aces, myself. I put put a Vintage Emperor and a hazy Ambassador on it. I switched out the snares with a Fat Cat 30 strand. It does have more overtones than I am used to but I like it. In a close mic'ed situation, it might need a half inch of gaff tape but other than that,I would keep wide open. I hate 0-rings!! :)

OK. This is a trade secret but I am willing to pass it on for you guys. It is cheap, very abundant and works well. You place this object close to the edge near you and your problems are over. A business card. Stays put, leaves no mess, easily carried in your wallet, and most of all they are free. Moon Gel works great but leaves blue on white heads, all of the tapes leave residue, and are a mess. so grab your wallet pull out a card and kill the ring.

OK. This is a trade secret but I am willing to pass it on for you guys. It is cheap, very abundant and works well. You place this object close to the edge near you and your problems are over. A business card. Stays put, leaves no mess, easily carried in your wallet, and most of all they are free. Moon Gel works great but leaves blue on white heads, all of the tapes leave residue, and are a mess. so grab your wallet pull out a card and kill the ring.
Back in the day, I just left the whole wallet there on the snare. It was empty anyway.

I use the "Felt Fix" ...

Closer to the rim yields a bit drier sound, and you may try different sizes, it's cheap clean and best of all works!

More about it here

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=913305&postcount=15

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=913309&postcount=16

FeltFix.jpg

Back