Weird Configs

don't have a weird set up but i did see an ad on craigslsit for a " standard sizes" kit consisting of a 20" bass, 13x13 14x14 mounted toms, 18x16 floor tom and a 10x5 snare.

i'l have to go find a pic if the ad is still up, looked really odd with a small bass drum and massive toms then having a 10" snare. made it look like a midget's snare....

Whoa ... That red kit on the bottom, coldhardsteel maybe?? Anyway, that one looks like fun to play!

Yes, it's mine. I sold a bunch of cymbals and got rid of the Pearl cymbal, so now it's in a different configuration, but everything is still flat. Another drummer who used my kit last week almost couldn't use it because it was so out-of-the-ordinary, haha. I have a great time playing it.

Cool idea, and speaking of that, one of these days I'm going to try doing a complete marching band kit--marching bass drums--at least two bigger ones for bass drums (maybe more, with them tuned very differently), 2-3 smaller ones for floor toms, a marching snare, either a quint or sextet of tenors for the toms, etc.

I've always wondered what having battery percussion on a set would be like. Adding marching sounds and beats to tracks opens up a lot of possibilities. However, I wouldn't want to make the quints and the snare my main drums, as the sound only really works when they're in unison and I doubt that's possible for one person.

Attachments

• phpoTma3GAM.jpg
    phpoTma3GAM.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 3,194
  • php6oXywIAM.jpg
    php6oXywIAM.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 3,182
My previous YAMAHA Beech custom was set-up this way for a few months :
I loved it !

Attachments

• low-back.JPG
    low-back.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 3,208
  • low-front.jpg
    low-front.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 3,239
  • low-left.jpg
    low-left.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 3,131
  • low-right.jpg
    low-right.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 3,119
Some weird set-ups found on the net few years ago :

Attachments

• mikeBdrumkit04].jpeg
    mikeBdrumkit04].jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,985
  • 0.JPG
    0.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 2,972
  • 00.jpeg
    00.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 3,014
  • 000.jpeg
    000.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 3,025
  • 0000.jpeg
    0000.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 3,011
  • 4708001.jpg
    4708001.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 3,202
Yes, it's mine......QUOTE]

i'm kinda curious, it looks like you have the toms set up left to right 10" 14" 8" 12" 16"? how does that work for rolls and such?

The idea was a mixture of Bill Bruford's set-up and the idea behind marching quints. The set=up would be mixed up, with the 14 and 12 switching places, making linear rolls possible but very difficult. I was trying to force myself to learn double-stroke rolls on the toms and mess with tunings and stuff. I'd tune the pairs of toms on each side of the bass drum to be in harmony with each other, so they'd make some interesting doubles. Kind of like timpanis. It turned out to be a cool idea, and it made my set look pretty awesome, but it wasn't very practical for a lot of what I was playing, so now it's in a boring old three-up one-down config. How sad.

My previous YAMAHA Beech custom was set-up this way for a few months :
I loved it !

Nice, Earthshaker! I appreciate the other interesting configurations that you showed us!

My Luddies, 26, 13, 16, 18 ... basic 5 piece kit ... set up in a rather "unorthodox" configuration.

First the e-kit, now this? How on earth can you reach that one floor tom? It seems so far away.

The photo kinda throws an optical illusion at you. With my left foot on the remote hat foot pedal that 18" floor tom touches my left leg. I couldn't get it closer, if I wanted to.

The photo kinda throws an optical illusion at you. With my left foot on the remote hat foot pedal that 18" floor tom touches my left leg. I couldn't get it closer, if I wanted to.

Very nice. That'll make for some interesting cross-over work.

I guess my old setup is weird as well.....

p1040282m.jpg

p1040284.jpg

My current configuration could be considered weird, but I like it. I have a 12" rack tom mounted low simulating a FT. This gives me a one up two down.

IMG_0814.jpg

My current configuration could be considered weird, but I like it. I have a 12" rack tom mounted low simulating a FT. This gives me a one up two down.

Although that's not as weird as some other things out there, I've done this myself with two toms to the left of the bass drum, and one floor tom to the right.

Right now, I'm doing this with an 8-10-16. Very colorful upper toms, very thumpy, attacky floor tom. It makes for a very good fusion and prog set-up.

I find that leveling out the toms and the snare drum make for easier fills and cymbal work.

Although that's not as weird as some other things out there, I've done this myself with two toms to the left of the bass drum, and one floor tom to the right.

Right now, I'm doing this with an 8-10-16. Very colorful upper toms, very thumpy, attacky floor tom. It makes for a very good fusion and prog set-up.

I find that leveling out the toms and the snare drum make for easier fills and cymbal work.

If you want a prog kit, you should put your toms in 10-8-16. I've done that for a while, and it's quite interesting

If you want a prog kit, you should put your toms in 10-8-16. I've done that for a while, and it's quite interesting

If you go to my OP in this thread, you'll notice I had some fun with reversing the order of toms.

It's not that weird. You're just a left handed player, of which there are few. So it just looks a bit different than other kits. :)

It's not that weird. You're just a left handed player, of which there are few. So it just looks a bit different than other kits. :)

I don't think he's a lefty. I think he just moved the hi-hat to the other side.

Back