Chad Smith

skippy said:
pretty true. but when they do play its pretty rad. but for chads solo he just plays a straight groove. nothing fancy or anything at all.

thats whats great about it. He doesnt have to overplay to be great. even his simple stuff blows you away. thats what makes him what he is. He always fits the music. and is always right on top. very tight, and you could set a clock by him. Excellent drummer with lots of taste. One of my personal favourites.

His studio work is very impressive. Good groove player, very locked in with Flea's licks. His snare work on the song "Californication" is very tasty, and I can never listen to "Breaking the girl" only once.

I was somewhat disappointed with a live performance I saw a few years ago, though. Sound was very bad, which may not have been their fault. But worst, their playin' wasn't very tight. I've seen other good comments elsewhere about their shows, it may only have been a bad night. I kept wondering however, how big a factor is pro-tool on their recordings.

I was so glad to see a post about Chad Smith. He is one of my favorite drummers. Okay maybe he's not a Bonham or a Powell in rock, or a Garibaldi in funk, but he's got that flow, and grooviness when he plays that just makes him so great.. I have his his DVD "Red Hot Rythm Method" and its absolutely hillarious, but also contains pretty sick drumming. He's got style when he plays, and it shows in the diversity of beats.

And aslo like someone mentioned, try his signature snare... I wanna second the fact that it's super cheap, but very cutting edge sound, and great punch... has a wide range of tuning too.. I dont think i'll be changing snares for a while...

dry_water said:
And aslo like someone mentioned, try his signature snare... I wanna second the fact that it's super cheap, but very cutting edge sound, and great punch... has a wide range of tuning too.. I dont think i'll be changing snares for a while...
Yes... His snare works pretty good for me too. Specially in studio.

Chad is an extraodinary drummer, very deep in the pocket grooves fit the basslines oh so well. He knows how to set the the mood and play for the music without being totally flashy. When he plays live its a bit of a different story but on all of the albums hes very in in the pocket and his use of ghost notes are just incredible!

Re: Chad Smith. Like? Dislike? come in.

Elemental Nausea said:
the by the way album is really terribly boring in drumming aspects, a drum machine could have done that as well...why do you say this cleanness was missing in the old days? he has always been tight and professional and clean but in the old days it was more creative and groovy

Chad Smith is a best rock drummer in action current . He Have solid Grooves and your creative style is inspiration for drummers like me . Not forget : pocket is necessary too , and By the Way disc is a lesson of it .

I saw the modern drummer festival yesterday, when he's playing with Ian Paice... Not much show off, but who needs it when you groove like he does?
"A lot of drumming tonight (...) but how do you get a job? You gotta groove!!!" Very smart.

"I saw the modern drummer festival yesterday, when he's playing with Ian Paice... Not much show off" (the quote button wasn't working)

He has a very inidvidual approach to drumming, which works great with his funk genre. But that duet with Ian Paice that Wile E. Coyote sums him up, he could probably have broken out into millions of things but because he is a mature drummer he knows he doesn't have to do that to make himself look good. I feel he is a very big brick in the wall of drumming.

chris--byrne said:
"I saw the modern drummer festival yesterday, when he's playing with Ian Paice... Not much show off" (the quote button wasn't working)

He has a very inidvidual approach to drumming, which works great with his funk genre. But that duet with Ian Paice that Wile E. Coyote sums him up, he could probably have broken out into millions of things but because he is a mature drummer he knows he doesn't have to do that to make himself look good. I feel he is a very big brick in the wall of drumming.
I totally agree... didn't I mean that? It's maybe my bad english...

Chad Smith= AMAZING! I really can't say much more than anyone else. The reason I like him is that he has really tight, funky grooves. He doesn't play to prove that he is a technical genius, but just grooves it out.

He's in Guiness for playing the biggest drumset, anyone ever seen this in a pic maybe? I'd like to see it if there are pics.

He's in there for playing a 308 piece kit. How I envy him................

What does you all think of "Dani California"?I think its so so much better than anythin on By The Way.....

Stadium Arcadium should be good....I hope they get back to their funky form...

da cheese walks said:
What does you all think of "Dani California"?I think its so so much better than anythin on By The Way.....

Stadium Arcadium should be good....I hope they get back to their funky form...

I agree, I hope it's the perfect amount of funk and rock. Not just rock, but I agree with being better than By The Way, but that wasn't really my favorite album. Compared to californication though, i'm not to sure.

im not into his playing

there is a difference between playing what the song needs and being utterly forgetable. thats the way i feel towards him. its more like a robot playing for alot of thier songs. ive seen live solo footage and some jam footage and was like "where the hell did that come from!!", i was very impressed. so i think he showed too much restraint during songs, too much for my liking. after one hot minute i stopped listening altogether. blood sugar sex magic and mothers milk are the good releases, everything else, ill pass

on a sidenote John frusiante' older solo stuff is amazing, first 2 albums

oh man i totally agree with some stuff you say...Mothers Milk and the RHCP old stuff is definitly their better stuff...I love playing all their old funk..."Stone Cold Bush","Brothers Cup"...etc.etc....

But I disagree totally what you say about the "robotic playing"??Chad Smith, if anything is not a "robtic" player....they guy is so funky...hed even be what some people consider an extremley messy drummer...I mean, he may constrain himself recording songs...but i can see hwere hes coming from..

I laid down loads of technical an crazy beats for my bands up-an-coming demo,and now ive suddenly realised how messy it will all sound recorded...it will sound nice an funky an cool live an stuff...but recording it will be a total gip!!

i think thats where hes coming from...Ill admit the chilis newer stuff(excluding the new song) have been totally toned down in comparison to their greatest stuff....but teh band got a bit more chilled out...i think they calmed down...

I mean Chad live nowadays is definitly not what he used once be!!hes still a brilliant drummer but hes not rolling around on his kit rippin cymbals apart...haha....yes their old stuff was the best,their new stuff is toned down a lot more than their early funk, doesnt mean Chad has become robotic???

low-tech said:
im not into his playing

there is a difference between playing what the song needs and being utterly forgetable. thats the way i feel towards him. its more like a robot playing for alot of thier songs. ive seen live solo footage and some jam footage and was like "where the hell did that come from!!", i was very impressed. so i think he showed too much restraint during songs, too much for my liking. after one hot minute i stopped listening altogether. blood sugar sex magic and mothers milk are the good releases, everything else, ill pass

on a sidenote John frusiante' older solo stuff is amazing, first 2 albums

He's just holding the beat, thats the drummers job. He's not supposed to be friggin all kicking drum ass and be sticking out. He's accenting the bass and playin funk.

Back