Roy Haynes

the gayge

Hey everyone. Sorry if there's another thread on Roy, but I couldn't find it.
I saw Mr. Haynes with his Fountain of Youth band at Birdland a few weeks ago. He was unbelievable. The whole group (Martin Beherana on Piano, David Wong on Bass and the incredible Jaleel Shaw on Alto) really blew me away but Roy was just amazing. He was hilarious, an excellent showman, and just such a great player. So much movement.
If any of you ever have a chance to see him play don't pass up the chance. One of the best shows of my life.

Saw him a few years back right after his 80th birthday. A humbling and inspiring combination of a "fountain of youth" performance indeed all rolled into one gayge. Glad you got to see one of modern jazz drummings true contributing innovators and masters still with us too.

Can anyone recommend a really great album that Roy plays on? I know he's done ALOT of recording and even did some stuff with Coltrane (I'm going to deffo check that out), but is there anything really special?
I've only seen a few vids of Mr Haynes and listened to the stuff on the site and from what limited stuff I've heard is that he truly is a genius. He has a wicked sense of humour too. I really want to see him live sometime.
The man's 80 something and still drumming large - a true inspiration.

Roy as a leader:
"Whereas" is great and features Jaleel Shaw who completely blew me away at Birdland.
"Birds of Feather" is a really excellent tribute to Charlie Parker with Kenny Garrett, Roy Hargrove, Dave Holland and David Kikoski.

"Now He Sings, Now He Sobs" is incredible all around.
He's on two Coltrane records that I know of. He's on the first disc (at least one tune) of the "Complete Village Vangaurd" set. He's also on the "Newport 63" record which is such an interesting performance. If you can, get that record and then find another live version of 'My Favorite Things' with Elvin Jones and A/B them. I think Roy is one of the only drummers who could have played with that group and held his own in place of Elvin.
"Outward Bound" by Eric Dolphy is a great album, but I think "Out There" is even better.

There are so many records worth checking out. Get them all!

If you get into any of that stuff, let us all know what you think.

Take care.

Yeah, "We Three" and "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs" are both incredible albums.

Roy as a leader:
"Whereas" is great and features Jaleel Shaw who completely blew me away at Birdland.
"Birds of Feather" is a really excellent tribute to Charlie Parker with Kenny Garrett, Roy Hargrove, Dave Holland and David Kikoski.

"Now He Sings, Now He Sobs" is incredible all around.
He's on two Coltrane records that I know of. He's on the first disc (at least one tune) of the "Complete Village Vangaurd" set. He's also on the "Newport 63" record which is such an interesting performance. If you can, get that record and then find another live version of 'My Favorite Things' with Elvin Jones and A/B them. I think Roy is one of the only drummers who could have played with that group and held his own in place of Elvin.
"Outward Bound" by Eric Dolphy is a great album, but I think "Out There" is even better.

There are so many records worth checking out. Get them all!

If you get into any of that stuff, let us all know what you think.

Take care.

Cheers man, I'll get right on it! I've already got a performance of My Favourite Things with Elvin on it (2 actually original studio one and the one on One Up, One Down Live at the Half Note) which is why I'm eager to hear on Roy holds up with that band. I'm definately going to get Question and Answer as I've been meaning to get some Pat Metheney stuff.
I shall deffo report back.

Well your at it foursticks there is a couple of older Roy treasures to add to your search list. I have both in album form but i'm sure there is CD's available of both currently {I hope!}.

Here they are and both are killer early Roy at his best:

"Thelonious in Action" Thelonious Monk Quartet,Riverside label. Recorded in 1958 at the Five Spot in NYC. The year I was born by the way.

"Destination Out" Jackie McLean,Blue Note label. No specific date on album jacket but early sixties for sure.

Enjoy these great Roy and great jazz recordings period if you can find them!

Oh man, I forgot about the McLean album. Another great one.

Its good you've got that "Live at the Half Note" with 'My Favorite Things', that'll be an interesting one to put up next to the "New Thing at Newport" version. Keep in mind that Coltrane is waaay further along into his more experimental stage at the Half Note performance, than he is at the '63 Newport date.

Oh man, I forgot about the McLean album. Another great one.

Yes it's a wonderful recording.

The Monk recording I also mentioned gayge has some of the most ahead of it's time drum phrasing/accompaniment you are likely to hear on ANY recording in 1958 without doubt. Shades of things to come in regards to Jack Dejohnette and many others to follow later who played from this certain school of group playing/drum phrasing/accompaniment type of approach that "father" Roy set the path and blazed the trail for.

Find a copy and hear for yourself you will not be disappointed.

I just found this over on another forum.
This is a great performance from Roy, but Jaleel's solo here (especially with the little prods from Martin Bejerano) really blows me away. It's hard to hear over all that flat ride crashing, but Shaw just nails it.

Hope you enjoy:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZescZiAaeGI

This thread is far too dusty. :eek:
I think, if I had to choose, I'd probably say that Roy is my second favorite. I have Like Minds and plan on getting We Three. I downloaded "Sneakin' Around" at some point, and I listened to it for the first time in a little while on the bus, today. I thought to myself, "Why don't I have this whole album?" He's a captivating soloist, and he's doing really well for his age.

i have never really listened to roy because i didn't think he was that good ( for some reason) but after loking at this thread, i watched this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWUKVBjXUWE

both the man's tuning and his solo are absolutly magnificant!!! one of my new favourites, time to start learning some of his licks!

I need need need to get into Roy Haynes.

I feel such a 'Roy Haynes element' in the playing of current masters, like Antonio Sanchez, maybe it's just me, but it feels like they're playing from the same vocabulary.

I got one of the best albums I've heard in a long while: The Roy Haynes Trio feat. Danilo Perez and John Patittuci.

Completely off the scale: Danilo and Perez are at the top of the game (saw them last night with Wayne Shorter! Whoah). Roy Haynes comes in with all guns firing, incredible.

Any other suggestions for great Roy Haynes albums?

Back