Dave Weckl

HOW can you ever be "too polished" or too good? isn't that what we drummers strive for? yes,he could play punk if he chose with the vibe just as well as punk drummers... . but i could never see weckl doing that.

i kinda of got lost in some of his doubles, but his grooves werre great.

BTW. his mullet was...unique

HOW can you ever be "too polished" or too good?

You know how Weckl has (or at least had back in the Electrik Band days) some critics out there, that he's too machine-like? Those critics were complaining because they heard something that they felt was "too polished." I know that some people wouldn't agree with my opinion, but I whole-heartedly think that you can be too refined and perfect, Weckl being perhaps Exhibit A in my argument. Don't get me wrong, I really like Dave's playing, and the original Electrik Band album is a personal favorite of mine, but I don't love him. I suppose I'd rather listen to someone gritty like Billy Martin or Mike Clark.

About the punk comment, I really don't think he could get that attitude down. It's gotta be sloppy-but-together in a way that is entirely uncalculated and unthinking, and yet Dave is a VERY cerebral drummer.

You know how Weckl has (or at least had back in the Electrik Band days) some critics out there, that he's too machine-like? Those critics were complaining because they heard something that they felt was "too polished." I know that some people wouldn't agree with my opinion, but I whole-heartedly think that you can be too refined and perfect, Weckl being perhaps Exhibit A in my argument. Don't get me wrong, I really like Dave's playing, and the original Electrik Band album is a personal favorite of mine, but I don't love him. I suppose I'd rather listen to someone gritty like Billy Martin or Mike Clark.

About the punk comment, I really don't think he could get that attitude down. It's gotta be sloppy-but-together in a way that is entirely uncalculated and unthinking, and yet Dave is a VERY cerebral drummer.

Well, KzSgDrummer...have you ever seen Weckl live? I just did 4 nights ago from 10 feet away, and I have to tell ya...He was as "improv" as any drummer out there! And I got some GREAT video to back that up!

To describe what I SAW, the other night, would be FAR from "too refined and "too perfect", 'cause I BELIEVE those descriptions are NOT accurate or possible!

That's just MHO, and you would agree with me if you had been there Wednesday night to see DW perform his wonderful set with incredible style and precision, without being "robotic", as it seems SOME say he plays like!

Go see him with The Downright Upright Allstars, and see for yourself...Play On! ;-)

I've seen him live once, which was at the Drummer's Collective's 25th anniversary concert (you can see me on the DVD for about 4 seconds!) when he did the sick rendition of The Chicken. I have strong memories (or at least impressions) of Weckl's drumming on that song. And if I haven't already made it clear: I am a fan of Dave's; it's just I have no intention of copying his sound.

But overall we have differing opinions, in that I do believe there is such a thing as being "too refined" and "too perfect." A machine is perfect, yet I'm left feeling cold when listening to it -- why? Same thing goes with drummers. Weckl's early playing is nothing short of top-notch, yet I recoil from it in the same way I do when I hear a CD or mp3 that is overly bright and "crystally" -- it just sounds too crisp and clean for its own good. I'm human, and I want to hear the occasional imperfections and screw-ups.

But again, this is my personal taste -- I know I'm making very few friends by saying this stuff.

PS: Bromberg and crew were in Boston on Thursday.. three days ago. D'oh!

I've seen him live once, which was at the Drummer's Collective's 25th anniversary concert (you can see me on the DVD for about 4 seconds!) when he did the sick rendition of The Chicken. I have strong memories (or at least impressions) of Weckl's drumming on that song. And if I haven't already made it clear: I am a fan of Dave's; it's just I have no intention of copying his sound.

But overall we have differing opinions, in that I do believe there is such a thing as being "too refined" and "too perfect." A machine is perfect, yet I'm left feeling cold when listening to it -- why? Same thing goes with drummers. Weckl's early playing is nothing short of top-notch, yet I recoil from it in the same way I do when I hear a CD or mp3 that is overly bright and "crystally" -- it just sounds too crisp and clean for its own good. I'm human, and I want to hear the occasional imperfections and screw-ups.

But again, this is my personal taste -- I know I'm making very few friends by saying this stuff.

PS: Bromberg and crew were in Boston on Thursday.. three days ago. D'oh!

Aww...You missed your chance to see him! Yea, they played in Annapolis, Md at The Rams Head Tavern, the night before Boston! A FANTASTIC small venue for shows! And I couldn't of asked for a better seat as far as watching Weckl. It was an exceptional spot in reference to his set-up! A side view, totally unobstructed, and only ten or so feet away!

So you can see, that my review I posted on Thursday, was a "spot on" rendition of the evenings' event! And Weckl was "spot on" with his performance!

Though I disagree with the "too refined", etc...opinion of his playing, I concur with you about his "early playing" without the part about it sounding "too crisp and clean".

Play On! ;-)

My personal opinion...as a drummer, I admire his awesome technique. He can play almost every technique ever invented for drumset, very smoothly and fluent. But as a listener, I must confess that I don't get excited very much by his play.
I think...it's really hard to describe it by words...his play sounds "flat" for me. Of course there is a wide range of dynamics in volume, and there are a lot of notes between the bars, but no extreme overwhelming tension, nor totally laid-back relaxed mood, basically just flat morerate all the way through. So I can't feel his emotion through his playing. Sometimes I feel like studying math when I hear his playing.

For any of you guys that say "Weckl always overplays" check out the new Jeff Lorber CD He had a hat ....

Dave is puttin down some monster paradiddle grooves on a couple of songs and a latin groove on another....Hes really showing his other side and playing in the pocket....

Oh and Vinnie is on five tracks also with Abe Jr filling out the rest.....
Its a great CD by a real jazz fusion legend.....

For any of you guys that say "Weckl always overplays" check out the new Jeff Lorber CD He had a hat ....

Or Frank Gambale's Thinking out Loud. Don't know whether its been discussed, can't be bothered with whole thread, but any Weckl fans who don't have this yet need it. A brilliant side to him.

As many of you said, Mr Weckl is an excellent drummer with finished technique and a perfect sound...

But the "problem" is that his musicians play over his rhythmic paths instead of the reverse.
His work is referring to the drummers, not to everyone...

He needs more music...

and of course all these are well-meant... you know that!

His technique developing dvd made me much more better a drummer, and his signature sticks are my favorite...

hey guys...

What do you prefer?

D.Weckl's sabian cymbals or the previous Zildjian selection???

I think that the zildjians are far away better...

My personal opinion...as a drummer, I admire his awesome technique. He can play almost every technique ever invented for drumset, very smoothly and fluent. But as a listener, I must confess that I don't get excited very much by his play.
I think...it's really hard to describe it by words...his play sounds "flat" for me. Of course there is a wide range of dynamics in volume, and there are a lot of notes between the bars, but no extreme overwhelming tension, nor totally laid-back relaxed mood, basically just flat morerate all the way through. So I can't feel his emotion through his playing. Sometimes I feel like studying math when I hear his playing.

that is your problem

if he is flat !!!!!!!! he\s solos and drumming never gets boring!!!!!

relaxed ..........the most relaxed drummer on world!!!!! with all milion ghost notes between ??????? try to play all that we will talk another time!!!!!

maybe should hear virgil donati "if don't like math" with his boring calculus and operations

I really like the guy... I mean what's not to like about Dave Weckl. The guy is an institution...just here his playing on Master Plan, or any other solo album...I admire him because he really get the point...His tehnique was not so good when he became popular in mid 80'...he realized that and almost completly rebuild his style...it takes great personality to do that...Now he's got great sound, and great tehnique...but there is something on his playing that I don't really like...sometimes he is overplaying...and the perfect example for that is song chicken originaly performed by Jaco Pastorius and Erskine on drums.

Dave is an amazing player - and a fantastic educator.

Most of us can only Wish we get anywhere Near his level of playing - or hours logged as a pro.

Weckl is the among the best of the best.

Dave Weckl = GREAT!

Bar none, one of, if not the most influential drummers of our times...
I am sure almost everysingle one of us picked up "Back to Basics", I know I did, andthat was the turning point for myself... I know before that video I was really into what I saw on Mtv, VH1, and just other drummers around. Mouth wide opened I would say "WOW I wish I could be like Lars Ulrich and Tommy Lee"... Well I went to Guitar Center and my dad and I asked the guy which video I can buy that will really give me a closer view of drumming and really just give me a new way of thinking... Well Back to Basics is what I got, and never stopped buying Dave's material there after...

His touch, technique, style, groove, solos is just simply great...

Ya his style may not be for everyone, but when talking about a drummer llike Weckl, I really really doubt we as musicians, not even drummers, just musicians, sit back and say "Naaa dont think I would wanna work with him"... IMHO, I think he is one of the most versital drummers out there...

Today there are a lot of other drummers that can come out and show their chops off, and really give an amazing solo...

But again, IMHO NONE of them have the feel of Weckl... Thomas Lang is probably the only one that MAY come close... And even Thomas Lang may have not had the same musical feel as did Dave, in Thomas's first instructional video... But I believe he is the closest...

Just my thoughts, my opinions, I have always been influenced by Weckl and continue to be...

I really dig Weckl with his solo band. The first three albums have a great funky touch whereas the rest of his albums are much more fusionesque. I agree that Weckl sometimes overplay. That's the reason why one of his ex- bandmate stopped playing with him. He did not want to be in a "drum solo band" :)

Personally I think Weckl is really unique. His feel and his sound are unmistakable. For those who think that he cannot groove or swing listen to The Honeydrippers (with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page) and Jay Graydon's "Bebop" albums.

A friend of mine hired Weckl to play on some of his stuff..... He is not cheap but it is amazing to see how much he brings on the table, how he brings a song to a much higher level. Some of my friend's stuff was recorded with a very very good local drummer/teacher and sound excellent. But when you listen to the tunes with Weckl you're in a different world. The whole band sound much better.

i think we all have to learn to receive and enjoy what every good drummer has to offer. Yes he may overplay sometimes, and the songs may be built around him, but that's exactly the concept of his band.
... he's a great drummer with amazing technique and he continues to grow in technique and sound... He's not ( that we know of) as versatile as Vinnie for example, and he doesn't get as many jobs recording with artists as Gadd did or Vinnie does. But maybe he doesn't want to do that..
If you listen to him you can learn a lot and he's one of those drummers who doesn't get stuck and in every new CD or DVD he has new things to show us or to help us become better drummers.

I was fortunate enough to see Dave play with CC back in 1989/90. It was the only concert I have ever gone to where all of the members of the band had an instructional video for sale(along with the T-shirts) at the front gate. Dave opened the second set with a twenty minute drum solo. I'm not really big on drum solos (except when it's from one of the masters).

My EXwife and I split up that night, but at least I got to see Dave play.

Back