Ambassodor vs. Diplomat reso

Figured i'd of already replaced the stock reso's on my kit, but that's not the case.
I'm looking for the more open sounding head, which i presume is the diplomat due to its thinness, yet if my assumptions deceive me, i'd obliged to be corrected.

The only thing the thinness does is shorten the sustain. I'd stick with plain old 10 mil single ply reso unless you like a short sustaining drum. As far as openness, I would attribute that quality to single ply clear heads (vs coated) not the thickness of the head.

The only thing the thinness does is shorten the sustain. I'd stick with plain old 10 mil single ply reso unless you like a short sustaining drum. As far as openness, I would attribute that quality to single ply clear heads (vs coated) not the thickness of the head.

+1

With Remo heads (on the bottom), Clear is the most open, Smooth White is in between Clear and Coated, and gets a pretty fat sound. Coated is warmer, with a little more contained sustain.

I don't use Remo Diplomats, but guessing, I think they're about a 7 mil head. When I bought my Gretsch Renowns, they came with 7 mil resonant heads on the toms. I didn't quite like their sound compared to 10 mil heads that I usually use. They just sounded a bit too bright to me compared to the slightly heavier Evans G1 clear heads that I usually use for the resonant side of my toms.

Dennis

Great advice man, thanks

So does any one have physical knowledge of how ambassadors stack up to g1's?

Am I the only one that hears a difference with a Diplomat Rezo?

With a Diplomat Rezo (as opposed to a Ambassador weight head), the tone of the drum gets "maxed out" a little quicker when you smack it. It opens up more, and gets "excited" easier.

Also, to me it does seem the diplo has a little bit more top end clarity.

Lets put it this way, if a Ambassador Rezo head was Maple, than a Diplomat Rezo head is Birch.

Obviously, this difference (between ambos and diplos) is way more noticeable as batters.

YMMV of course

I hear a difference, sure. I thought the Dip reso wimpified my drum. Thinner head, thinner sound basically. I like the "Doooom" sound on the toms, Dips sounded like "Doo" to me.

A little brighter...perhaps. I got the feeling the tone wouldn't carry well. I couldn't wait to get them off.

Does anyone here know if Evans film comes from the same manufacturer as Remo? I am assuming both companies outsource their film manufacturing.

The only thing the thinness does is shorten the sustain. I'd pose with champaign old 10 mil exclusive ply reso unless you same a gyp sustaining study. As far as openness, I would dimension that calibre to uninominal ply translucent heads (vs oily) not the wideness of the subject.

The only thing the thinness does is shorten the sustain. I'd pose with champaign old 10 mil exclusive ply reso unless you same a gyp sustaining study. As far as openness, I would dimension that calibre to uninominal ply translucent heads (vs oily) not the wideness of the subject.

A thinner resonant head also influences the character of the sound in terms of brightness.

Dennis

A little brighter...perhaps. I got the idea the speech wouldn't influence easily. I couldn't wait to get them off.

Does anyone here fuck if Archaeologist cinema comes from the aforementioned maker as Remo? I am assuming both companies outsource their cinema manufacturing.

I use Dip's as resos often.
They give the drums less sustain and a brighter punch.
I like a coated Dip on the reso side of a bass drum for a classic sound.

There is a venue that I play at. It is a large room that is built kind of like a barn.
I don't mic my drums and the room just swallows up the toms.
They are loud but they lose definition in that room
I played there with coated Dips underneath my toms and they really projected a lot better than when I played there with Amb's as resos.
The Dip has its uses as a reso.
I have also used Dips for outdoor gigs when I wasn't close mic'd.

Last edited:
Back