Replacing stock reso heads on toms

vegassuper

I have a Stage Custom set that is pretty new. I have replaced the tom's stock batter heads with G2 Clears and the sound definately improved. I went to my local shop today with the intention of replacing the reso heads and was told to save my money as I would not get a noticeable improvement since the stock heads are almost new.
Agree or disagree? If you disagree what would you use for the reso head?
Thanks

Kinda depends on the manufacturer/kit level. My Gretsch kit came with G1's, in which case, he would be correct, but if it's a cheap, stock head chances are you would notice an improvement by changing them.

For a Yamaha Stage Custom, you can probably keep your stock resos for a year or 2 or 3 before changing. Depends on how much money you have to go around.

I'm not really up to speed with Yammies, but stage customs are an intermediate set, yeah?

If so and you've got the coin and actually want to swap 'em out, then go for it. The stock heads may be new, but I'll wager they're not nearly the quality that ambassadors or G1's are. Which is what I'd suggest to go with your G2's btw.

I would swap your resonant heads for Evans G1 clears. It's fairly cheap insurance knowing you're getting the absolute best sound out of your kit. When I bought my Renowns they came with a 7 mil resonant head on the toms and before I even had the kit set up the first time I switched them to G1 clear (10 mil) heads.

Dennis

I would do the swap, a friend of mine (actually my old roomate) changed his reso heads and the sound improved, noticably. His kit was a stage custom as well. He ran g2 coated over g1 clear.

At this point it sounds like G1's are the way to go. Thanks for offering your advice.

I may be stupid because they sound pretty good right now but I keep thinking that if they could sound better...well I would like to find out!

You mentioned you are happy with your sound, so why mess with a good thing?
This is just my opinion, I've been through this and at the end of the day you end up back at square one.

You would be better off spending time perfecting your tuning skills in order to achieve a great drum sound that mixes well with your band through a live pa.
Hint: tuning your batter and reso the same is not an ideal live sound, it takes up too much space in the mix and can make your band and drums sound muddy. less resonance will mix easier and will prompt a better sound for your band. That is reality.
Listen to some live albums and listen to the drums. You will hear a drum sound that works for the overall sound not a drum sound that is necessarily optimal for most resonance.

So, in the final analysis, in my opinion don't waste your money, if your just practicing, jamming and occassional gigging with this kit then spend the money on something else, better yet save it for a rainy day. But learn how to tune your kit for the best collective sound.

Back