Stupid Question About High Hats

Sticks Of Fury

Hello.
I have a very stupid question about high hat stands. I hope that I can explain this right. On most high hat stands the rod in the middle of the stand extends out like 6 or 7 inches through the top of the high hats. But that's not the case with some drummers. Some drummers have no rod sticking out through their high hat clutches. Why is this? Does anybody out there know? If you know, please respond to this. I'd appreciate it. Thanks. Take care. Later.

Hello.
I have a very stupid question about high hat stands. I hope that I can explain this right. On most high hat stands the rod in the middle of the stand extends out like 6 or 7 inches through the top of the high hats. But that's not the case with some drummers. Some drummers have no rod sticking out through their high hat clutches. Why is this? Does anybody out there know? If you know, please respond to this. I'd appreciate it. Thanks. Take care. Later.

It's Not a stupid question....
You will see this becuase of several reasons,
1. Some manufacterers may have different lenghts, for example
my old Ludwig 70's (atlas or hercules) hi-hat stand is Shorter than say a PEARL model.
2. Also drummers sit a different heights, so this will change how Low or Hi they will
set up & play...

(ie) if you raise your throne to be more comfortable & or better bass drum leverage
you may raise your hi-hats & snare to compensate the new throne height...

Best of luck

And, if you've found the HH you want to spend a good part of your life with, you might want to think about investing in a couple rods of different lengths. I have 3 different length rods for each of my HH's. If your tall, sit high, you may need a longer rod. Manufactures usually offer rod options, they're also fairly easy to make.

If you shorten a rod, its usually b/c it interferes with a cymbal, or in rare cases a tom. Once you clip the rod though, you can't go back (without welding), that's why extra rods are good.

Extra rods travel well in pvc/abs tubing. A bent rod at a gig could be 'depressing' and rods do bend from hard playing and can easily get bent in travel. Its good to experiment with different throne heights when execution hits a rut. Having different length rods is a good thing.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 175
I'm a shortie and I have the problem that I can't get the HH low enough. It's right at the bottom so there is yards of rod sticking out the top!

Davo

Back