SPD-S vs SPD-SX

MindMachineDrumsDW

I am looking to add one of these two sampling pads to my acoustic set. I would prefer to save the money and snag the SPD-s, but I hear a lot of people really like the SX. Is it worth the extra money for the SX? What features are different and which are improved?

What I want to do is use samples, sounds, effects from my computer and trigger them using the pad.

Any info is appreciated.

I only own the SPD-S and haven't used it as much as I should.

AFAIK they are both very similar in basic features but there are some advantages to the SPD-SX.

The first is the max memory: SPD-S with Compact Flash 512mb cards vs SPD-SX 2GB internal memory
Built in Click track. On the SPD-S you have to import stereo files with the click recorded on one of the stereo channels.

SPD-S has no computer connectivity. SPD-SX has USB connectivity for direct triggering vs hooking up the SPD-S to a MIDI interface via MIDI out. This is pretty significant for some. There's also mention of a 'Wave Manager' program for manipulating sounds on a connected computer.

Here's a good article on the newer model

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct12/articles/roland-spdsx.htm

HTH

Jim

I've only used the SX and I love it.

There are a few features the S had that I wish the SX had.

1. Velocity sensitive layers. The SX can have 2 wave assigned to a pad. But they both play at the same time. on the SPD S, you can set them so a lighter hit triggers one wave and a harder hit triggers the second wave. Not so on the SX.

2. The phrase loop feature. The SPD S has a built in sequencer so you can create loopable waves very easy. The SX takes a few more steps and you need to do some math work to create a loopable wave right on the unit.

even so, I love the SX and recommend it.

It's a shame the SX headphone amplifier is not as loud as the SPDS - I use IEM's now but found that pretty frustrating - H&S driven I guess :/

The SX is a huge upgrade IMO, worth every penny. The big things are the USB connectivity with the wave manager and the built in storage. If you have a lot of samples you need load up, it's sooooo much faster with the wave manager- and you can drag and drop samples onto pads and create patches in no time. It also has twice as many trigger inputs and a built in click with a sub out so you can send click to in ears and not have it come in the mains. The original spds was great but SUCH a hassle to load samples and create patches on. That reason alone is worth getting the SX IMO.

Back