Fiberglass drumsticks

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
It occurred to me the other day that I don't recall hearing about any drumsticks made from fiberglass. Has anyone heard of any, or used any? I would think they would be pretty durable. They could make Kevlar sticks, one pair every ten years lol.

I'm not quite sure what Duraline sticks were made out of, but they existed. At one time. There was another company (forget the name) that had a "composite" stick. Their motto/saying was "It even tastes like wood". I bought a few pairs off them, at NAMM. Never really liked them.​

When I was only a couple years into drumming, I constantly broke sticks due to heavy repeated rim shots. I found a pair of sticks by a company called Mainline that were a mixture of some wood and fibreglass ( they were pink in color ). They were by far the most durable sticks I ever played. I was breaking hickory sticks on a daily baises, but getting one year out of those mainline sticks was more than impressive. I went to the local drum store where I originally purchased them, only to find that they didn't carry them anymore. Actually, the salesman didn't know what I was talking about. He said that he had never seen any mainline sticks there before. I wish I had a pair right now. ( of those sticks, that is ).

Fiberglass is not new by any means. I bought a pair in the early 70's. Yes they were durable, but they tended to transmit a lot of vibration down the shaft of the stick, and this tended to fatigue your hands, like holding a buzzing wand. Not too bad of a sound on cymbals, but that particular make (can't remember it now) just seemd not stiff enough to lend to control.

why not make them out of the same material as the tips on Regal Tip sticks. A little flexible but very durable. The flex would be great on the hands.

Mainline was Kevlar strands down the length of the stick, through a metal tube, and "plastic" was poured into it, creating a rod when cured. The taper, butt and tip were then ground into it. Wonderful sticks IMO, I was sad to see them go in 2001 or so. They could do a lot of different looks with the sticks, some remarkably wood-like.

mlspls1.jpg

Trick made a carbon fiber stick, I don't think it made it to market.

trickstick.jpg

I do recall some actual fiberglass timbale sticks in the '70s, but not regular sticks. Will have to check my collection, I have almost every synthetic ever made. :)

Bermuda

Last edited:
I tried several plastic sticks back in the good old days. I'm talking 70's and 80's. I also tried aluminum sticks with plastic tips. There were also sticks that were made from bowling ball material. I remember there being issues with all of these non wood sticks such as transmitted vibration, and also they were either to light or to heavy.

Its hickory or maple for me.
Vic Firth is my fav stick manufacturer. Although I do play other brands.

I once had a pair of Carbon Fiber drumstick by the name of Carbosticks (I think now they're called Blackwood sticks) they were really good, I thought. I gave them to a buddy of mine, who was just starting on the drums and it took him over a year to break the one pair. I might pick up a pair eventually.

these sound along the same lines as ahead sticks. Are they as bad for your drumset? I can only imagine using wood sticks

I have some black plastic sticks that I bought and used during the 80s. But I do not remember the brand name. I still have 'em. Peace and goodwill.

I must warn!

I had a few pairs of Carbosticks, I used them for practicing because of the weight and durability (obviously) BUT! After about 9 months I had broken 4 cymbals that I had had for over 10 years and had no existing cracks etc... I am a fairly heavy hitter but I'd never broken anything except a thin K china (and I was playing in a metal band, heavy gigging, at the time) before I used these.

I once had a pair of Carbon Fiber drumstick by the name of Carbosticks (I think now they're called Blackwood sticks) they were really good, I thought. I gave them to a buddy of mine, who was just starting on the drums and it took him over a year to break the one pair. I might pick up a pair eventually.

Back in 1996, I bought a pair of the Mainline 2B sticks. And I broke over 1k in cymbals in less than a month!!!
Even a Z 18" Heavy Power Crash and a Z Custom 19" Rock Crash!!!
Now I only use Rock wood sticks or Ahead aluminum sticks, with that plastic sleeve. And my Z Customs take all the heavy hitting with no issues.
The Mainline factory deserved a lawsuit!! I'm glad they went out of business!!

I've used Carbosticks almost exclusively for the past 13/14 years and never broken a cymbal with them in that time. I've broken plenty with wood sticks, but none with carbon sticks. And none with Ahead sticks either (although they only lasted me a month as they're really no good for constant rim-shots, snapped both of them right at the hilt of where stick becomes handle)

Sadly, Carbosticks are no longer available (haven't been for a few years) but now and again I find a stash somewhere being sold so I buy them all up when I can.

I've also got a pair of the those Trick carbon sticks, had them nearly 20 years but never used them. I thought they were possibly just promo sticks as I've never seen another pair (it was a google search on them that led me to this thread)

I think the Carbosticks live on as Vic Firth's Titan sticks. And a fairly new company called Techra has a carbon stick.

Bermuda

Just bought an Ahead 5a's drumstick, but I'm still waiting for them to arrive. Haven't tried an aluminum drumstick before. Do they really break in the middle if you are a rimshot drummer? =( I always do rimshot

As for the carbon fiber drumstick. Was wondering if its good or not? would it last longer or whatnot. I'm still looking for one to test one. Since I need 2 set of drumstick. One for practice and the other one for actual play on gig. So the ahead drumstick I bought going to use it on gigs while the carbon fiber (if I can find one and buy one) will be my practice stick

Else I'll be back on wooden stick with nylon tips

I just picked up a pair of Ahead 5A's a couple weeks ago. I usually use Vater Fusion Nylon Tip so the Aheads are heavier and more forward weighted. I actually really like the balance, but wish they were a hair lighter (I might try the Lucky Lehrer "Speed Sticks" at some point). They sound great though, with the exception of cross sticking. Not as defined as a wood stick.

Back