Les Binks

I'm a HUGE Priest fan. Unleashed in the East in an incredible record, Les absolitely kills it. Some of the double bass work is incredible for the time perdiod. Brilliant drummer, incredibly smooth yet very aggressive. I will forever praise Stained Class as one of the best metal records of all time... I am 25 years old btw

and that last pic in the first post is Dave Holland...fine drummer, but doesnt hold a candle to Les

Last edited:
Here is an update regarding Les:

http://www.jugulator.net/les_binks.htm

As per Rob Halford, Les was too skilled, technical for their music approach but his contribution was remarkable on that short period with Judas Priest.

"...Even as great as Les was, after those few albums, we wanted to go after something a little more simple and harder,..” - Rob Halford, EDGE magazine, May 2003

Last edited:
Les was the best drummer Priest ever had.

It's a real shame they wanted to get rid off him so they could sellout and make US-style kindergarten metal with Dave Holland.

But anyway, for people not in the know there is a fantasitic drum solo courtesy of Les on the live version of "Starbreaker" on Priest in The East (that's Unleashed in the East) so you should go check it out. This is 78/79 and he is pulling out kick pedal drumming at warp speed nearly a decade or so before all of the speed metal/death metal clowns that oversaturate the genre now...

Yes, Unleashed In The East...lovely!

Agreed, several people don´t realize - Les double bass drumming contribution in metal.

Les was the best drummer Priest ever had.

It's a real shame they wanted to get rid off him so they could sellout and make US-style kindergarten metal with Dave Holland.

But anyway, for people not in the know there is a fantasitic drum solo courtesy of Les on the live version of "Starbreaker" on Priest in The East (that's Unleashed in the East) so you should go check it out. This is 78/79 and he is pulling out kick pedal drumming at warp speed nearly a decade or so before all of the speed metal/death metal clowns that oversaturate the genre now...

Attachments

• judas_priest_-_stained_class_remastered_ab.jpg
    judas_priest_-_stained_class_remastered_ab.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 8,963
  • Judas_Priest_-_Killing_Machine_(Back).jpg
    Judas_Priest_-_Killing_Machine_(Back).jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 8,078
Last edited:
Ian You have great taste in drummers I used to love Les Binks when I was in High School many years ago. I was so disappointed when they replaced him with Dave Holland. I saw Priest in late 78' at The Palladium in New York. Around the time of Unleashed In The East Great show and Les Binks was temendous.

PaiceFan thanks brother! You had the great chance to see Les playing alive...outstanding!

That was nice for my ears & eyes, I enjoyed it as a child!
I bet Les (excellent drummer, in fact) was proud playing with many true rock musicians as: Roger Glover, David Coverdale, Glen Hughes, Ronnie James Dio and lately Ian Gillan, Jon Lord...

Thank you so much @ scarlit!!!

Here > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyemD5Nklm4

... I'm in love, so in love... And I can't stop talking 'bout my rock forever!!!

Les at his highest peak back then... and Halford with his unusual singing operatic style, great band.

Phenomenal player. Probably Priest's greatest (either him or Phillips). Certainly their most influential.

I'll be interested to see his project with KK and Ripper if they can ever tour. That line-up has nearly as much claim to the Priest name as the actual current one imo.
That 'Exciter' intro's at 27:45 ^ :cool:

Sadly he's had to step back from that, he didn't record the album and will make only guest appearances when KK's Priest tours. Such a shame as I'd loved to have seen him.

Back