Steve Morrison

Re: Steve Morrison - pro drum tech (Tommy Lee)

tleetech said:
Steve Morrison- drum tech/programmer for Tommy Lee/ Mötley Crüe. Any questions or comments regarding Tommy and his gear will be answered here. Thanks for the interest.

You know that huage bass drum a few questions

does it actualy sound any good
what skins does tommy use and where are they from
does it get in the way
how big is it

have played hits kit alot

Hi Steve,
Much respect to you and thank you for your patience and graciousness in handling all of the questions. I am a purist as far as drum sounds go and I am a tuning fanatic. I've been playing and kind of teching for pro drummers for 30 plus years. My question involves the type of tuning that you use with toms. Do you tune to specific notes? Do you tune the bottom head tighter to control sustain? Do you use the DW method of tuning to the note stamped on the shell with Tommy's kit? In general, I tend to tune to pitches and intervals, with bottom heads tighter, depending on the kit and the sound desired. Just wondered if you do the same or have certain guidelines that you follow. Thank you and forgive me if this question was already answered, there are so many posts that it's hard to find specifics. Thanks again and take care!

Clint

Greetings Steve!

I read "DW drums production process" on DW internet site and they says that production process includes "TimbreMatching™ process by tapping the shell to hear its fundamental pitch at the point where the shell resonates most freely". Tell please it is help you when you tune T drums?

It's not dead; I've just been real busy with the TV show, album, Tommy's website, etc. My apologies.... I'll be back on soon!

wow..i just saw this thread...it took me a while to read all of it. insane! it's pretty much like meetin tommy himself!

i have a question...how does the endorsment work for tommy? does he get new cymbals/drums/hardware..ect.. wen ever he please? or how?

thnx.

tleetech said:
It's not dead; I've just been real busy with the TV show, album, Tommy's website, etc. My apologies.... I'll be back on soon!

Hey guys.... I spoke to Steevo tonight and he wanted me to let you all know that this forum topic is no where near dead.....

Steevo is just super busy right now with the TV Show, the new Motley/Aerosmith tour, the Supernova record, the new Motley record, and eatting dinner once and awhile!!!

Keep posting your questions and Steevo will get them.....

Peace!!!

and be sure to watch the RockStar Supernova show.... I heard a rumor that Nate Morton (the houseband drummer) got some snare "help" from Mr Steevo!!!! 30 wires.... check it!

Hey Steevo what series of cymbal does tommy use,and for a suggestion on the new kit i think he should go old school and KICK it up with a double bass drum kit like oldtimes but have them both be a 32" i remember the seattle show everyone was freaking on the 32" and i think that would be an DEEP sound.Oh and IM A HUGE FAN AND IF YOU CHOULD PLEASE when you come to seattle hook me up with a like drumtech gig like you did shane or something kool like that you dont have to i know how buisey you are and all so peace out Bro!!!!!!!
Chris

Here is Tommy's Cymbal set-up

newsinskit.jpg

Last edited:

Steve, I bought tickets to the show at the Myth in Maplewood, Mn and am wondering if the show is going to be the same set list as what was on the Carnival tour? I am exited about seeing the band at a small venue like this. The show should be awsome.

Hey Steve,

Could you please give some info on Tommy’s kit from the show last night? His sizes looked the same, but the shells were acrylic. Has dw started to produce acrylic shells or was this a special one time thing for him?

Thanks,

Carl

mplsfalls said:
Steve, I bought tickets to the show at the Myth in Maplewood, Mn and am wondering if the show is going to be the same set list as what was on the Carnival tour? I am exited about seeing the band at a small venue like this. The show should be awsome.

Man i wanted to go to that i missed that last shows. I'm only 16 and you have to be 21

negativeattitude said:
Hey Steve,

Could you please give some info on Tommy’s kit from the show last night? His sizes looked the same, but the shells were acrylic. Has dw started to produce acrylic shells or was this a special one time thing for him?

Thanks,

Carl
Hey Carl, you're right the sizes were all the same. The shells are acrylic(red) and are a one off that DW made especially for Tommy. I'm not sure if DW has any plans to start making them or not. Wait until we put in all the LED lights inside the shell! How was the sound of it? I was flying last night so I missed the broadcast. Steevo

Steve,

I think they sounded good. Did you have to do anything different with micing or tuning? Is your boss happy with them? Thanks for turning me on to Eddie M., he knows his stuff about sound. I think you’ll be in my area again in a couple of months, hook me up again like last time if you can.

Thanks Steve,

Carl

Steve,

Awesome forum work....have enjoyed the threads. Quick question please?

What sort of spring tension does Tommy like on his bass drum pedals (light, med, high)?

Thanks,

I'VE FINALLY DONE IT!!!!!!!!!! I got the scsi dump utility to work on my Ddrum3 and it's awesome. Once you get it setup right you don't have to edit it or anything (unless you want the sample shorter). I loaded all of my samples and made backups of everything all in like 5 min., here's a link to the guys in the U.K. that i got extra cards from. The cards were used but they work fine and the guy knows his stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/20MB-FLASH-MEMO...5QQihZ010QQcategoryZ38097QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

See ya soon,
Eddie

Back