Tommy Lee

I think Tommy Lee is a great rock drummer/performer. He has tons of energy behind the kit and a great entertainment factor. Very solid rock drummer as far as I'm concerned. I gotta laugh when Virgil and Weckl wannabe's that sit around practicing 14 hours a day run there mouths about how rock guys like Tommy and Barker "s u c k". Been through that phase in my drumming life and soo glad i'm out of it. Tommy is a damn good rock drummer and no drum nerd playing 15 hours a day in their basement is gonna convince me otherwise :)

Well said! And we all know who these nerds are without having to mention their names.

The thing I don't get is you see a thread Named Tommy lee who you obviously don't like for whatever reason and yet you feel you need to share that with those who enjoy the guy so much that they made a thread about him...Thats Nice nerds.

I don't enjoy watching Donati play but you won't see my name in the Virgil Donati thread..

kudos to Danny as well!!!

You can't deny the sound of Tommy's rock beats.
You can't deny the talent of Travis Barker either.... seriously I think he is a great drummer some of his bootleg stuff is SICK!
I would rather watch and listen to Robert, Tommy, or Travis play live than any odd time, wonderful technically perfect noodle geek, any day of the week.

Last edited:
i enjoyed tommy lee for a while there havent gone much on him latley but not saying his a great rock drummer he has some great grooves and beats but he has gone electronic........

Tommy Lee is a very very very good guy in real life. I know a few people who know and met him, and say you couldnt know a better person.
A far as a drummer, ok lets be real, out of ALL THE HAIR metal bands in the 80's who was a great god of drumming?!??!? The music was hard but simple, and it was more of a stage act/show more than anything. I dont know if the parts were played any different that the music or the drummer would have been better!

Tommy though is a character and has had success on t.v. and of course being married to Pam Anderson... So it definitly helps the drum companys who want to endorse him...

Its a business, and companies wanna make money... And they know the way they will do this is to put guys who are familiar behind their products... Tre' Cool, Tommy Lee, Travis Barker...

I've seen Tommy play twice and both times I was really impressed. He's a great showman and I didn't think that his groove suffered because it. I remember back in 1984 when I was trying to learn what "groove" was all about, my buddy said listen to this. It was Too Young To Fall In Love. I still listen to that "simple" beat which starts the song and Tommy really lays down a nice groove.

The upside down drum rig was really entertaining too. They harnessed him in there and he was grunting and talking throughout the drumsolo. Very cool!

tommy quit motley crue the other day. :( im just glad that i got to see him play twice on the cos tour. it was great.

thats awesome because i wanna here the new album that was sapose to be out by this time.

Me too buddy! With songs like Sick Love Song and If I Die Tomorrow you can tell thier sound is much more heavier and focused. Tommy's drumming is alot stronger too. I really wanna hear a new album.

I just got done reading "The Dirt" from Motley Crue! 400+ pages of sex, drug, rock and roll and destruction. I cannot believe they are still alive.

That said, I did determine that Tommy isn't the smartest kid on the block. But, I created a Motley Mix on my iPod and have been listening to it. Man, can that guy groove on a drum set! He is a great groove player.

Definitely one of the great time keepers for rock in the 80s!

I just got done reading "The Dirt" from Motley Crue!

Hands down, that has to be one of the most incredible/scariest books of all time. Those guys sure did push the limits of life. A must read for anyone who wants to be entertained by the excesses of being a rock star.

I loved when Mick Mars thought he was dead, so he figured he could walk right through the glass door...*BOOM*

Can you believe they just left him on the beach... lol. OMG, that book is so insane. :)

Me too buddy! With songs like Sick Love Song and If I Die Tomorrow you can tell thier sound is much more heavier and focused. Tommy's drumming is alot stronger too. I really wanna hear a new album.

Actually I think they just broke up again. Too bad because I also feel they were getting much better.

I love watching Tommy drum. He is a great groover and has great showmanship, the only one who comes close visually is Shannon Larkin of Godsmack.

You wont find a critic in me.

I absolutely love his playing. I am a huge fan.

His groove is amazing and showmanship is the best in the business.

I don't like him as a person, but I love his playing

Listening to the song "To Fast For Love" and he uses his crash and snare drum really, really well in the song.

He is an incredible player.

You should hear it live in concert! Sick, sick... and more sick. You should check out thier "Carnival Of Sins" DVD.

I own that DVD! It is great!

I have a couple of other bootleg concert dvds from the eighties and early 90s.

They kicked major ass back then!

Hi

I jus want to know how does Tommy do that stick trick where he hits the hi-hat and the snare with the stick and it jumps in to the air ? I,ve watched the Carnival of sins DVD hundreds of times and i don`t know how he does it.

Thanks

I have been buying dvds latley. I bought Journey 2001 and Carnival of sin. Both Tommy and Deen Castronova have two bass drums but use a double pedal. Is it just for looks?
Tommy uses, it looks like, a 24" and the 28?" is not being touched. Why?

probably just for looks, he is a showman. i remember on rockstar supernova, the tv show, they hauled a double kick in for him to player higher ground by the red hot chili peppers, its just for show.

Hi

I jus want to know how does Tommy do that stick trick where he hits the hi-hat and the snare with the stick and it jumps in to the air ? I,ve watched the Carnival of sins DVD hundreds of times and i don`t know how he does it.

Thanks
okay it took me a few times how to learn how he does that trick!
okay i'm going to give it to you step by step

1) once his arm is coming down to hit the snare he lets go of the stick right before it hits the snare
2) he hits the snare head and the rim at the same time so make sure to adjust your snare so you can hit the bottom of the head and the rim at the same time
3) so make sure when you bring your arm down to hit the snare let go of the stick before it hits the snare and the rim
i hope i gave you enough information
just keep on practicing and you will get it
good luck

Back