Songs with musical barbs

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
These would be songs that reference real people for the purpose of a sort of public calling out.

Paul McCartney's "Too Many People" aimed at John Lennon, I forget why.
Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama" and it's dressing down of Neil Young (in reference to Neil's "Southern Man" which takes a stab at Southern slave owners.)
John Lennon's "How Do You Sleep" fired back at Paul.

Frank Zappa's Flakes parodied Bob Dylan.

Flakes isn't about Bob Dylan. There is a short section where Adrian Belew talks like Bob Dylan while complaining about his car not being properly repaired.

Zappa did, however, pen a number of tunes that had very pointed barbs directed at specific people. For example, there's "Dickie's Such an *sshole" referring to Nixon. On the Broadway the Hard Way album there are several tunes that focus individually on C. Everett Coop (Promiscuous), Jesse Jackson (Rhymin' Man), Elvis (Elvis Has Just Let the Building), Pat Robertson (When the Lie's So Big), Michael Jackson (Why Don't You Like Me), Jimmy Swaggart (What Kind of Girl?) and Jim and Tammy Fae Baker (Jesus Thinks You're a Jerk).

Zappa did not pull punches. How I miss his music and his commentary. He was brilliant and original.

I think I heard somewhere that " Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits was written about Motley Crue. Kinda makes sense.

I believe Collective Soul's "Smashing Young Man" was a response to some comment from Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins.

The Foo Fighters "I'll Stick Around" is allegedly about Courtney Love...

CSNY's "Ohio" aimed at the killings at Ohio State,.McCartneys "Give Ireland Back to the Irish".,self explanitory,The Beatles "Taxman" aimed at Wilson and Heath,and the high British income tax rates..Nearly everything by early Dylan and Guthrey.U 2s "Bloody Sunday",Lennons "Give Peace a Chance".Rock,and folk music is chock full of musical barbs the protest song,hell,it was founded on it.

Steve B

CSNY's "Ohio" aimed at the killings at Ohio State,.McCartneys "Give Ireland Back to the Irish".,self explanitory,The Beatles "Taxman" aimed at Wilson and Heath,and the high British income tax rates..Nearly everything by early Dylan and Guthrey.U 2s "Bloody Sunday",Lennons "Give Peace a Chance".Rock,and folk music is chock full of musical barbs the protest song,hell,it was founded on it.

Steve B

Four Dead In Ohio....the National guard killings at Kent State I do believe

Four Dead In Ohio....the National guard killings at Kent State I do believe

GD is correct - the shootings were at Kent State not Ohio State. Also - I remember seeing a television movie about the shootings in the 80's and swear that I recall one of the dead students was a drummer. Not that it matters all of the deaths were horrendous and entirely preventable but since this is a drum forum I thought I would mention it.

MM

Megadeth- "Something That I'm Not".
Dave's dis to Lars after Metallica kept the footage of Mustaine whining about being "No. 2" all these years in the "Some Kind Of Monster" doco (despite repeated attempts by Mustaine to have said footage removed from the final cut).

I think I heard somewhere that " Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits was written about Motley Crue. Kinda makes sense.

I've heard Nikki Sixx make that claim. I wonder if Knopfler has ever confirmed it?

While we're on Motley Crue, Dude Looks Like A Lady by Aerosmith was about them too.

Back