My CUSTOM Internal Bassdrum Mic Holder System [Promo Video]

That's surprising.

I must say, this is extraordinarily out of character for Dennis. I've been here longer than most (2004) and seen a number of members come and go acrimoniously but I never thought Dennis would be one of them.

How utterly bizarre.

I agree, totally out of left field. You never know what people are going through in the real world so I just wish all good luck and carry on.

I agree, totally out of left field. You never know what people are going through in the real world so I just wish all good luck and carry on.

Exactly what I was thinking. Wishing you well Dennis.

Looking forward to it David. I must confess to only having been able to watch half of your original promo video (relying on phone tethering in a poor signal area) so I'll watch it all properly when I get hooked up tonight.

First ideas to mount a Shure beta91a

So, I've been thinking about how it'd be possible to mount a beta91 either as addition or standalone to my mic holder.

Today I simply tried something out and I came up with this:
(Yes, it looks crappy. I made this from wood.)

Case 1: Mount it as "addition":

beta91_1_s.JPG

beta91_2_s.JPG

Case 2: Mount it "standalone":

For that you can simply dismount the baseplate from that "arm" and mount it standalone to your main holder using 2 m6 screws:

beta91_4_s.JPG

Very easy!

How to secure it?

The beta91 has 2 mounting holes on the bottom so you can hang it on a wall for example.
I just mounted 2 screws in my base plate so you can "clip it" on the plate:
beta91_3_s.JPG

Missing:

- I need to figure out a simple way to adjust the "arm" in height when you mount it as addition. I'm not sure if that's neccessary yet, but I guess it'd be a nice feature..

Let me know what you think!

Andy... Perhaps I am here too often, but this is my light relief from what is usually a very full on day.

Spending time on this forum is just like drum practice. It's the quality of what you do not the quantity. Andy you are an Encyclopedia worth of info and you could never spend too much time here with what you bring to the table.

David, some kind of flexible/gimbaled arm might work. If you had the straight arm going down to the plate in two sections, with a small hinge and then the baseplate on a separate pair of threads so the angle can be adjusted, you could quite easily alter the height and angle of a PZM like the Beta 91.

Just a thought. Engineering-wise it's simple but it might add to the cost quite significantly.

David, some kind of flexible/gimbaled arm might work. If you had the straight arm going down to the plate in two sections, with a small hinge and then the baseplate on a separate pair of threads so the angle can be adjusted, you could quite easily alter the height and angle of a PZM like the Beta 91.

Just a thought. Engineering-wise it's simple but it might add to the cost quite significantly.

Sounds like a good thought, thanks!

Yes it might get expensive.. So I will probably only sell this as "addition"...

Great to see you're working on even more options - how to add that Beta91 mic.

I'm sure I could come up with something not too complicated and affordable if I had a Beta91 myself. I tried to draw something on paper and just noticed that I have a hard time just imagining a proper holder while not having that specific mic at hand. I just had a quick look at the Thomann product site (specs and reviews) - that looks like an excellent mic for bass drum miking. So I might buy it myself but probably not now, having a lot of mics to choose (Audix drum mic package & more). I'd try to come up with something that can also adjust the plane of the Beta91 from its neutral position, into negative/positive. Also, I'd think of mounting the Beta91 on top of your holder system and the other mics on the bottom side - I don't know why though, just an idea.

It saddens me that Dennis is gone. I really don't understand why this got him so fired up. David is a nice man, and a good player, who is doing something positive.

Dennis if you are reading this, I for one hope you return. Your knowledge is relied on by many here. I would say that Dennis is one of the top resources on recording here. And his drum kit pictures are always top notch. Everybody has days where things get out of hand. But like a family, we forgive, learn from it, but continue to stay together, no matter what. I really hope you come back soon Dennis.

Ok, so I talked to a friend who's audio engineer and asked him about the beta91.
He said the best position to avoid the comb filter effect would be to position it directly unter the holder, so this is what I produced today:

The cool thing is: It can be produced from one piece aluminum.
I will have the form laser cut again and then I can bend it in the correct position.
This part now is made of 2 parts but that's just for my prototype.

// Edit:
The final aluminum parts will be a bit thicker (maybe 4mm) so it will be a bit more stable.

beta91_new_1.JPG

beta91_new_2.JPG

beta91_new_3.JPG

beta91_new_4.JPG

I also asked a drummer who uses the beta91 and asked him if he wants to adjust the height of the mic, he said "no" - that makes it easy and cheap for me!

For those who are curious if a dynamic microphone and condensator microphone are always 90° out of phase: NO

I did a test with my D6 (dynamic) and the beta91 (condenser) and here's the result:

phasen.jpg

There's no phase problem - of course I had to position them correct.

David, that is very cool! I admire how you compare everything "in the field" so to speak. Awesome setups from your posted pics. I personally have never mic'd drums but only guitar equipment when I use to do home recordings. I see it working brilliantly and I'm sure modifications will always be up your sleeve. I wish you only the best of luck at the London drum show. Please keep us posted on how it went.

Steve

@Dennis:
I'm really curious and this is no offense now.
Since you say you're a professional audio engineer and have worked with audio more than 30 years - I'm really curious to hear something from you.
I checked your gear, awesome gear actually, but whenever somebody asked you to post some audio files, you just ignored it..

I would love to hear something - again, no offense!

Bestest
David[/QUOTE]

I never felt the need to bring this up before, but after reading this thread I'll chime in with my 2 cents...A while back I PM'd Dennis and asked him if he had any audio files of his MCA kit as he regularly posts pics of the kit surrounded by an army of mics that cost more than my car. He totally ignored my message. Now, I understand that no one is obliged to respond to PM's but I felt that it was a tad rude (considering that he had posted SEVERAL responses to threads and was online when I sent the PM).

He may be knowledgeable and experienced, but I have regularly found him to come-off as arrogant, pompous and rude. This thread has just confirmed my opinion.

Sad really.

INVENTION UPDATE

Ok, so my last version of the beta91a holder wasn't so cool. The mic could easily fall of when you for example want to let your mics in the bassdrum for the transport.

So I needed a solution to secure the mic so there would be no chance to fall of.
I did a little drafting to show you my solution:

The Beta91(a) has 2 holes on the bottom that can be used to for example hang the mic on the wall.

So I mounted to scews that fit to that holes:
draft1.JPG

Then you gotta just slide the mic on it:
(Backwards not forwards - it's wrong in the picture haha)
draft2.JPG

And to secure the mic from sliding forwards (which would loosen it again) you gotta tighten that little screw. I'm thinking about mounting a little spring (from spring steel) that you can press down to move the mic forwards..
draft3.JPG

I hope that makes sense :)

And here are to photos from my prototype which looks pretty ugly:

prototype1.jpg

prototype2.jpg

I hope that makes sense!

I feel you could improve on the fasteners. Steel nut/bolts are heavy, costly, have more holding power than you need. Since the mount is only going to be subjected to a lot of motion (cartage/playing vibration, bungee cords), steel nuts/bolts as fasteners are overkill IMO.

That excessive motion can and will eventually cause the nuts to loosen... add lock washers, or locking nuts and coast/weight increases.

I do realize what you're using is easily available and works, but a plastic grommet type fastener or even zip ties would provide more than enough holding power.

I feel you could improve on the fasteners. Steel nut/bolts are heavy, costly, have more holding power than you need. Since the mount is only going to be subjected to a lot of motion (cartage/playing vibration, bungee cords), steel nuts/bolts as fasteners are overkill IMO.

That excessive motion can and will eventually cause the nuts to loosen... add lock washers, or locking nuts and coast/weight increases.

I do realize what you're using is easily available and works, but a plastic grommet type fastener or even zip ties would provide more than enough holding power.

.........maybe even velcro?

Hey David, this seems like a pretty neat idea. I know since we drummers like to get stingy on the snare using 3 mics on the snare, why not get stingy on the bass drum and use multiple mics. We'll probably get a whole lot of punch in the mix. you should think about bringing it hear to the states, here in Chicago we have the Vintage Drum Show every year, would be pretty cool to see it in person...

Hi Les Ismore,

thanks for your input!
I'm a bit confused but I think you're talking about the Beta91 adapter?

Of course the sketches I uploaded are not the "final" product idea now, I have made some drafts on the computer and I won't need as much screws.
The screws needed to secure the mic will be glued to the system so they won't be able to loose.
Also the screw that's used to hold the mic will be replaced with some kind of spring that you can push down to release the mic..

Thanks again for the ideas :)

@drummerman42

Thank you!
I'm not sure yet if I'll continue the project after my 15 (or 13, I'll take 2) models are sold...
If you're interested in a model, you can message me though!

Back