Cajon Box

FatGaz

Was thinking of getting one of these, to jam with my mate on his acoustic guitar. Anyone tried one? Any advice / tips welcome

Thanks

Absolutely. I've not found a more portable useable solution to a drum-set replacement as a Cajon. I think of it and play it like you might a djembe if you were playing rock... The big thing you gain from the cajon sound is that the bass note sounds a lot like a bass drum, and the snare note sounds like, well, a snare.... This is what I miss most and I usually want the snare sound.

Check out these ones. Some of the finest hand-made examples I've come across, and I spent a year looking for the "right" cajon for me.

http://wiseguyscajons.com

I have one and I have played it a bit with some lower-volume singer/songwriter type gigs. I would say, go ahead, shop around, and get the best-sounding cajon you can buy. Don't settle for the cheapest, because it will sound cheap. It should have a very open, deep bass note that does not sound like slapping a cupped hand on a board, and a nice, cracking, snappy snare sound in the corners. The tapa should sound and feel live and responsive. Some folks have talked about beating the cajon to get sound from it. That means that you're either playing too loudly or your cajon is not correctly designed to give off maximum effective sound.

Lessons wouldn't hurt anything, but a lot of hand drumming and set drumming concepts can be applied to cajon playing without any issue. If you frequently find yourself in lo-fi, low-volume situations, it's a nice option to have.

Hey Gaz, I picked up a Cajon around a year ago to go busking with my mate and his guitar and i have to say it was definitely worth it! It's so versatile and sounds brilliant with an acoustic guitar. For starting out I can recommend the Meinl Cajon Headliner series, this is the one i got at a good price as well IMO http://www.gak.co.uk/en/meinl-hcaj1...-cajon/31827?gclid=CK2MtLWS_rgCFa3ItAodTyMAbA
I've used this busking on the street but i have to say it really does shine when there's a mic in the back! Copious amounts of Low end and a beautiful adjustable snare crack!

I picked one up a couple of years ago, and it turned out to be an amazing decision. I've got a couple of djembes, and they were always my go-to when there was an acoustic jam going on. Then my bass player at the time showed me a cajon, and I was hooked. It's the perfect compliment to an acoustic guitar; just snare and bass! If you've got any sense of rhythm, you'll get a handle on it real quick.

It's also super portable, and goes on pretty much every camping trip with me when I know someone's bringing a guitar. Just have to be careful towards the end of the night when a lot of alcohol has been consumed and people are wandering around looking for firewood...........................

Have any of you tried the Gibraltar pedal designed for Cajons?

I've been thinking about it, but not sold yet

Have any of you tried the Gibraltar pedal designed for Cajons?

I've been thinking about it, but not sold yet

I've tried it in the store, but if you are playing a cajon as a cajon, it's perhaps too awkward to incorporate. If you're using a cajon as a kick drum, I figure find a way to get an actual kick drum in there, it'll sound better.

I've tried it in the store, but if you are playing a cajon as a cajon, it's perhaps too awkward to incorporate. If you're using a cajon as a kick drum, I figure find a way to get an actual kick drum in there, it'll sound better.

Probably would............looked like a cool idea though

Back