Do you want to be famous?

I find this thread a tad funny given that we're all "just" drummers.

It's highly unlikely that we will get any personal fame even if we hit it big with a huge pop band. The closest we would likely get is some cult fame with other drummers who can actually understand all the complicated things we do in the back of the stage behind the real musicians.

I ran across a interview with Grohl where he said something like "And I was just the drummer! I could have walked in the front door of a Nirvana concert and nobody would have a clue who I was, regardless that I was playing with the biggest band in the world at the time".

Depends what fame brings: if a large audience brings enough money to live on so that one doesn't have to do anything else other than play music (and all the recording/touring/promoting etc that may go with that), then I'd say it's as useful an ambition as anything else.

If chasing fame means people recognise you in the supermarket and there are photographers constantly trying to take pictures of you in the shower and you end up hidden away in one of those high-walled compounds in Beverley Hills with security patrols, then that ain't for me.

yeah I agree.

i would like to do as most of you, play and quit my day job. Do actual work when the downtime tot he music happens.

But with fame the privacy goes out the window.

Americans are so absorbed with what some celebrity is doing, and that breeds shows full people expressing their sycophantic behavior.

I ran across a interview with Grohl where he said something like "And I was just the drummer! I could have walked in the front door of a Nirvana concert and nobody would have a clue who I was, regardless that I was playing with the biggest band in the world at the time".

Funnily enough a couple of years ago I asked a woman at work which drummers she'd heard of and Dave Grohl was one of them - probably because he'd become a vocalist!

All I want to do is play for a living, make money, and have fun. Famous or not.

Well, I wouldn't mind the adoring fans ;-)

Back