Alesis Drumsets

Why are Alesis edrumkits so unpopular? I never see proffessionals using Alesis. I usually see Rolands everywhere or Yamahas occasionally. They seem like a decent ekit maker... do any of you know why they are lesser than Rolands, or atleast appear to be?

They're not high-end kits, and aren't intended to compete with them. They're entry/mid-level kits, and are attractive because of the price for the quality. In that regard, they're a great value. But everyone is stuck on the Roland and Yamaha names, and won't give Alesis, Kat or 2Box the time of day.

Bermuda

If you're interested in some background to Alesis edrums, check this out at the DMdrummer forum: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=3747.0
It suggests that a deal with Pearl to repurpose the Alesis DM10 module as the Redbox RBM-20 (with 50 extra kits), has limited development of the DM10.
Alesis requested some improvement ideas from DM10 owners, but they are still waiting for a firmware upgrade: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=786.0
Here is some info about a Pearl REDbox V2 firmware update which was expected for the DM10: http://www.hellfiredrums.com/pearl-redbox-v2-firmware-update/
So if Alesis have managed to alienate their loyal customers then I guess Roland, Yamaha, 2box, etc won't mind at all.
The new Alesis DM10 Mesh kits, DM Dock and Sample Rack (at affordable prices) might improve their popularity.

Last edited:
I have an Alesis DM10. For the price, I don't think they can be beat, reliable hardware that can take a beating. Module isn't too bad either, though it's nowhere on the level of a high end Yamaha or Roland that costs three times as much.

Hook it up to a VST like I do and you will really like it for what it is. A budget e-kit that can be used for practice or studio recording.

I have an Alesis DM10. For the price, I don't think they can be beat, reliable hardware that can take a beating. Module isn't too bad either, though it's nowhere on the level of a high end Yamaha or Roland that costs three times as much.

Hook it up to a VST like I do and you will really like it for what it is. A budget e-kit that can be used for practice or studio recording.

What's your opinion on the DM8 vs. the DM10 studio (if you know anything about the DM8)? I'm strongly considering getting a used 1 1/2 year old DM8 for $400 in "excellent" condition. But also considering the Alesis DM10 studio from Zzounds for $799, but I'm not entirely convinced that the quality of the DM10 and the fact that it's new would be worth the extra $400. For one thing, because I'm completely new to e-kits, so any module will be overwhelming and surely enough to satisfy me and get me started.

Buy a used older Roland kit and it will still be better than the alesis stuff.

I'm a confirmed Roland user, but my first kit was an Alesis. I like the kit sounds, but within a couple of weeks. things started to break: two rubber pads flipped right off (they looked to have been sort of glued on), and the kick drum quit completely. Long story short, i was able to get a complete refund. At the time, a local music store salesman advised me "Please don't buy an alesis from me. It will be back here in no time causing me a headache for a warranty claim!" In other words, the quality just isn't there; you have to pay the bucks to Roland, maybe Yamaha. Get a TD-11KS for around $1000 and upgrade to mesh pads, possible used ones (could cost another $600-$1000). I say TD-11ks becasue it is the low end of mid-range (but upgrade it). Of course, TD-15 and TD-30 offer more but they are the price of a decent used car.

I am in a similar position here. I am struggling making a decision between a brand new DM10X mesh head kit or a 5-10 year old Roland TD-20 used kit. But again, I am seeing the same thing I am finding everywhere else. One guy will say he loves it, great value, etc etc. Another will say he had an Alesis but started causing issues and braking. And then you have the guys who say stay away from Alesis and go roland, and that any roland will be forever better than any Alesis. HELP! I need solid factual information!

While it may be older, isn't the td20 a significantly higher model by comparison to the alesis?

That it is, the TD-30 is the TD-20s successor meaning it was the highest of Rolands kits. I just wonder now if an older top of the line Roland is better than a brand new mid line Roland kit.

That could be true. But in this case, isn't it being compared to an alesis kit? That might be a completely different story.

Alesis are not unpopular. they are good for what they do.

Cheaper affordable Ekits that are good for learning/practice.

Rolands /Yammis are the tippy top of edrums.

If you want the best. use the best.

If I was to buy a kit today id get another TD20. Best bang for your buck. I'd prefer the TD30 but its too new and too expensive.

When comparing new to old are you talking same product line? a new roland with rubber pads won't compare to a Full TD20 with all mesh.

there is no need for 5 of the same/slightly different topics on this truth drummer. Your bringing back posts from 2014 and you already have one asking advice and you got it.

What are you wanting to know here? you need to find out what your budget is, and your needs.

are you using in a studio, live, practising? Are you wanting new or used. Can you afford $1000, $3000, $9000...... Do you want mesh or rubber or silicone? Have you tried them all? do you need multiple outputs? are you going to be using a computer/laptop for VSTS.

ask yourself those questions and you will have your answer.

I still suggest a used td20 if you can afford it.. you will be happy

Back