drumhead combination experiment, pls help!

Hey Guys, I'm about to try a head combination where I will use evans EC2 heads on top and remo coated ambassadors on bottom of floor toms and toms of my set. Its a PDP M5 maple set. Did anyone of you tryed this combination before? thanks a lot!

Why would you buy Evans batters and Remo resos? I feel like Evans got an edge over Remo since they launched the Level 360 upgrade. And I also think that a clear head over a coated would look weird. Looking through the head and seeing a white sheet.

thanks, but I dont care about the look, but I care about the sound, and wondering if anyone has an experience

I don't think you'll find many people purposely trying this mixed brand combo out. You might find a very few doing clear on top, coated on the bottoms of the same brand but still - a minority.

The general idea is that coated heads have a slightly warmer sound (i.e. dampen highs) but that is a matter of subtlety especially when it comes to the resonant head.

A clear head of the same ply and construction will have more attack and a slightly different timbre.

The 'classic' (tom) combos are:

Coated batter/clear reso
Clear batter/clear reso
Coated batter/Coated reso

Th above classics also presuppose a thinner or equivalent thickness resonant head to the batter.

Those are the basics. The great thing about drums (and music in general) is that there are no hard and fast rules.

Personally I think with the proper tuning and playing technique, your drums will sound great with your combo. That's in general. If you get more specific about the organic acoustic sound you want (not the processed recorded sound) then there may be better head choices.

Should sound at least good. Tune them up and be an innovator! :)

Jim

I used Coated Ambassadors on bottom with Clear Pinstripes on top for a while, which I feel are similar enough to the EC2s to offer some guidance here.

It's definitely a dry combo. I felt that, once I got some clear ambassador resos (and started using non-pinstripe batters) the drums felt more full & present, though the lack of that may be what you are looking for. The EC2s are most certainly more live than Pinstripes but you will find that there's not a lot of head sustain (especially if your resos are tuned higher than batters) but plenty of attack. I think it was a pretty good metal set, though on my current kit (and on that last one) I preferred using clear 10mil resos (Aquarian probably) and a clear G14 or G12 batter head.

I mean, if you have the funds, you might as well try it!

I have ec1's over ambassadors on my floor toms at the moment.

I think ec2's will sound good but they will decay pretty quickly. Maybe they'll sound a bit thumpy.

guys thanks a lot! I was exactly looking for these kind of experiences. Currently my combo is ec2 top and clear ambassador bottom. We're about to record a CD, and I was considerng wheter to experiment with the reso head or not.

I tune the heads usualy the same, and I like the sound of toms, which have coated as reso, and with the ec2s I wated to cut a little from the sustain. thats why I came up with this combo

But I will defenitely try to set the heads up (ec2 top coated ambs bottom) and hear what it sounds, If I like it, I'll give it a try in the studio, thangz again

I guess the first question is, have you tried coated G1 resos with them yet? Another one to consider (depending on your tonal an sustain preferences) would be coated G12's.

Back