Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

They're the Sonor Twin Effect pedals. They are NOT for people who are too lazy to learn proper doubles. They have nothing to do with double strokes. I have one and I use it to the left of my hi hat for achieving double bass effects with my left foot while playing the "real" kick with my right.

What that guy was doing in the video was really hard. If he has that kind of development in his lower leg (It's not just the shin BTW, the gastroc and the soleus muscles of the calf depress the pedals and the tibialis anterior of the shin raises the foot ) then he must be capable of some pretty mean "standard" double bass.

I think it's funny that when someone demonstrates something that nobody here can do, people look for ways to minimize it. Just admit that the guy is pretty bad-ass at something you can't do because we all know it's true anyway.

Hey Jeff, you've got that pedal, i was wondering, is it adjustable as far as when the secondary stroke hits in relation to the first? I was wondering that because the guy in the vid is playing incredibly smooth and spaced evenly strokes, but if he's playing "regular" double strokes, his left foot primary beater should strike in unison with the right foot "slave" effect and then his right foot primary should be striking in unison with the left foot slave giving the effect of 2 simultaneous 16th note rolls on different bass drums instead of a 32nd note roll. In order for that to work, it seems to me that the slave would have to be adjusted to play a dotted pattern instead of an even pattern. Is that how it's done?

Diosdude,

I know you question is directed to Jeff, I hope it won't be taken as rude if I answer. The Giant Step Twin Effect's foot plate is divided in two - the foot board and the heel plate. You activate one of the beaters as you would on a conventional pedal. The second is activated by playing the heel plate section of the pedal. Both are totally independent.

Last edited:
It's not your calves, it's your shins, also triggers just relay your actual strikes to a module, they don't play those notes for you. I'd guess he's probably playing between 210 and 220 bpm sixteenth notes on the single so on the double it's equal to about 430 bpm sixteenths or more than 1700 strokes over a sustained minute. Sounds like a gatling gun, lol. I don't know why people would say that it's cheating, it's music, people, not sports. You don't cheat at music. I'd like to hear Tim Watterson play that rig, that would be awesome.

I was just saying that the drum triggers let you use lighters hits and keeps them basically them tone, or sound if you will. so smaller quicker hits can be used. :)

People need to think a little more about this. Triggers DO NOT play for you, they just pick up a signal - you still have to pull of the speed. Also, you are confusing dynamics and speed which are not the same thing, at all.

You can play blast beats with no problem on the e-kit? How tight can you do that? Playing the patterns in rhythm and in a precise manner also comes into consideration.

Finally, to clear things up a bit with in regards to extreme drumming - when you get to the 210-220 bpm range playings 16ths, it becomes physically impossible to play full strokes on the kicks. You just can't play strokes like you can at 120bpm. This is why they use Triggers so that the strokes can be audible at those speeds. Otherwise how do you want the kicks to cut through the soaring guitars? Not to mention, microphones can't even pick up a decent signal at those speeds because there is too much air moving inside the kick.

I like how you try to disagree with my point and then say exactly what I said.

Of course you still have to pull off the speed, but you can set the dynamic levels on a good electronic kit "so that the strokes can be audible at those speeds".

I do agree that what he did was impressive, however, it's not my thing. I don't care much for extreme double bass drumming. I still love double bass, but it just sounded like corn popping to me, not drumming.

I like how you try to disagree with my point and then say exactly what I said.

Of course you still have to pull off the speed, but you can set the dynamic levels on a good electronic kit "so that the strokes can be audible at those speeds".

You are missing the point if that's the only phrase you are picking out of what I wrote - that's taking it out of context. The way you put your words came off as minimalizing what that guy was doing in the video, or extreme drumming in general.

You initially wrote that setting a module to a linear dynamic mode allows one to play faster. This is not true. Also in the following:
It's pretty common in the extreme metal scene (and other scenes) to trigger the bass drum to that a player can play faster without having to hit the drum as hard, giving the illusion they're doing more than they are.

I'm not saying the same thing - my point is that they do not have the choice if they want to be heard, since it's physically impossible to do otherwise. Read you post, then read my post again - I'm not saying the same thing.

Don't take this the wrong way though, I'm not trying to get into an argument nor saying this with any hard feelings whatsoever.

Last edited:
You are missing the point if that's the only phrase you are picking out of what I wrote - that's taking it out of context. The way you put your words came off as minimalizing what that guy was doing in the video, or extreme drumming in general.

You initially wrote that setting a module to a linear dynamic mode allows one to play faster. This is not true. Also in the following:

I'm not saying the same thing - my point is that they do not have the choice if they want to be heard, since it's physically impossible to do otherwise. Read you post, then read my post again - I'm not saying the same thing.

Don't take this the wrong way though, I'm not trying to get into an argument nor saying this with any hard feelings whatsoever.

You mistook what I said. I didn't mean it allows you to become faster, just allows you to play at your faster rate without losing volume, because, as you said, "so that the strokes can be audible at those speeds."

Same meaning, different words, but I can see how I phrased it could be confusing.

No problem, we're just discussing drums. :)

Diosdude,

I know you question is directed to Jeff, I hope it won't be taken as rude if I answer. The Giant Step Twin Effect's foot plate is divided in two - the foot board and the heel plate. You activate one of the beaters as you would on a conventional pedal. The second is activated by playing the heel plate section of the pedal. Both are totally independent.

You, that's it. It's like the old-school rocking motion on the hi hat. It is different from the Dualist which hits one beater on the downstroke and the other on the upstroke.

You mistook what I said. I didn't mean it allows you to become faster, just allows you to play at your faster rate without losing volume, because, as you said, "so that the strokes can be audible at those speeds."

Same meaning, different words, but I can see how I phrased it could be confusing.

No problem, we're just discussing drums. :)

My excuses for misunderstanding then. Glad that everything is cool!

It's not your calves, it's your shins, also triggers just relay your actual strikes to a module, they don't play those notes for you. I'd guess he's probably playing between 210 and 220 bpm sixteenth notes on the single so on the double it's equal to about 430 bpm sixteenths or more than 1700 strokes over a sustained minute. Sounds like a gatling gun, lol. I don't know why people would say that it's cheating, it's music, people, not sports. You don't cheat at music. I'd like to hear Tim Watterson play that rig, that would be awesome.

You make a good point dio, I am really sick and tired and tired and sick of people saying that people using triggers or e-kits are cheating. Music is about writing good material that sounds good not about how each individual player obtains the sound. The quad bass to some of you is like the double bass to some older players. They will say that double bass is cheating, but really all it's doing is opening up more opportunity just like the quad bass.

Back