Anyone else send an email to Remo about their coating?

cdrums21

Gold Member
After many, and I mean many instances of Remo's coating wearing off almost instantly on the heads I've gotten (coated emp, coated CS reverse dot, coated ambassador, coated vintage emp) I sent an email to their customer service department to explain my frustration and see if they are aware of the problem. Of course, on a previous email about the topic submitted some 2 years ago, the reply was very generic, not really recognizing a problem, and stating that they stand behind the coating 100%. Well, the coating 100% sucks from my perspective and it is a major problem and concern IMO. I've since switched brands for some applications, but I love the Remo sound and wish this wasn't an issue. It was never an issue in the past, but in the last year or so it has been really bad. Anyone else fire off an email to Remo about this topic?

Yep, that's me. They've contacted me and vowed to take care of me. I'm not looking for free heads, I just want them to be like they used to be and have a coating that wears slowly over time. I actually really like the Evans heads that I had to switch to, so I'm not sure what to do. I guess I should talk to them and give them some feedback.

By the way, it looks like the folks at Remo are looking at these threads and seem to have a genuine concern about it. I haven't seen an admittance of a problem or a reason behind why this is happening, but they do reach out to try to keep happy customers....at least that's something positive.

I am glad you took initiative to talk to them. I replaced heads with new Remo coated recently and snare drum coating wore away almost instantly. Unless they make an obvious fix, I don't plan on buying Remo again. If they hear of enough issues, they will fix the problem.

Last edited:
I was just re-seating the Remo Ambassador coated heads on my DW Classic kit and mine also have premature coating wear. If I have a chance I'll take a picture of it. The one redeeming fact is, I still get a great sound out of the Remo heads even though there is physical coating damage, unlike what I'm hearing from some brand new Evans G2 and G2 coated heads lately. If I could find the Aquarian heads I want to try, one of my kits would be wearing them.

Dennis

I feel so lucky! I would certainly email them if I had a problem, but so far, so good. In fact, I just bought a new set of heads, and still no issues.

I can't say I've never had the coating wear, but never what I consider prematurely, only after very extended play.

Who knows?

I've never once had a problem with a Remo head and I've been playing mostly Remo since I started ten years ago. I would appear to be very lucky.

I'm disappointed that this is happening to other people. I think Remo make great heads and I think they sound fantastic. I swear by their 'Vintage A' heads on my snares whenever I can find them. Right now I feel very fortunate.

music123 usually has all the Aquarian models at good prices and free shipping in the USA.

And if that doesn't work, then buy Evans. I have nothing but Evans and have a lot of smooth white heads where the roughness has smoothed down but the coating is still there. Large corporations only understand the bottom line, they won't listen to users because every one that complains another praises. Stop buying and they may get the hint.

cdrums 21, I posted the thread in the Remo forum about the coating issue and it still gets hit's once in awhile of other people fed up with the coating. I even stated that whomever made the decision to switch coatings should be "FIRED." Some of the replies from Remo the claim to be "defective." So it just happens every head I've been buying is defective. I actually got kind of aggressive with them about the issue because of you claim in your findings as well..." their coating does 100% suck!"

I honestly think the need to go back to the old coating and invest in a way to spray them in a contained environment. They need to keep the product they became famous for!

. The one redeeming fact is, I still get a great sound out of the Remo heads even though there is physical coating damage, unlike what I'm hearing from some brand new Evans G2 and G2 coated heads lately.

Dennis

Yeah the coating wearing off so soon does not degrade the sound from what I can tell as well, so it's just an aesthetic thing. I would really like to see remo solve this because I do like how their heads sound.

On another note....aquarian must love the problems remo is having, hehe.

I would bet that if aquarian could get their product out to more local stores, remo would have a campfire lit under their a** and get serious about fixing this issue. I say this because aquarians heads are fantastic on quality, reliability, longevity and sound.

Good on you, Ian. I like the Remo sound best but I play a lot of brushes and I find the Remo coating is much less durable than that of Evans and Aquarian.

I have a fairly worn Remo on my snare now and most likely will replace it with an Evans. The sound isn't quite as warm to my ear but it's still pretty good and the coating maintains friction for sweeping for a long time. I like Aquarians too but Allens Music / Billy Hyde never seems to have them.

I emailed and then called them a while back. They sent me replacement CAs and an extra CAX. They all wore in one medium volume dance/rock gig. I have not purchased another Remo product in months.

I haven't. (Not being a fanboy here) but my Ambassador X's are doing well. There is some wear but there is no clear showing through like what was posted by another member here just the other day. I swear. I could take some pics if needed. They won't be great but you should be able to see.

Actually I'm tired of saying that and I think I'll go get me a camera at a decent price....

I had the same issues with REMO coatings someing off. It was very frustrating. Seemed like it would come off easily on your stick and reapply it to your cymbals. I got so frustrated I moved to Evans non coated heads. Guess I should have given REMO a description of my problem as well. I have used their stuff religiously since I started playing.

Glad they are working with you.

DC

Out of 8 drums that I have fitted with coated CA's, only two had the coating chip off almost immediately when installed.

So is this a problem with their coating process or is it a quality control issue?

My guess is it's a quality control issue!

I emailed and then called them a while back. They sent me replacement CAs and an extra CAX. They all wore in one medium volume dance/rock gig. I have not purchased another Remo product in months.

The rep who contacted me was probably going to offer replacements for my worn heads, but honestly, I really don't want them and have the same scenario as above happen to me. I still use Powerstroke 3's, clear ambassadors for reso's on toms and snare, but the coated snare head of choice is an Evans and I'm quite happy with it.

I was just re-seating the Remo Ambassador coated heads on my DW Classic kit and mine also have premature coating wear. If I have a chance I'll take a picture of it. The one redeeming fact is, I still get a great sound out of the Remo heads

Yea the sound doesn't really change, and it is mostly aesthetic, but I did stop using my two defective heads I have because I don't like the dusty feeling/taste I get in my mouth from breathing that shit in while its flaking off at warp speed :|

I thought it was strange that the emperror on my snare started to wear funny. The coating was actually missing in the stick marks instead if that nice, circular wear pattern I was used to. This head is only a couple of months old and it still sounds fine, just wearing out the coating quickly.

Back