My 14 Piece Mapex Saturn in Arctic White

GOOD advice.. you re right.. I just played it around cymbals...thanks
I also have the 18" AAX stage crash and I don't like it nearly as much. Honestly the 16" is just a really nice clean cymbal. I don't like the new overly hammered stuff they are putting out now. Way too dark for me.

Another beautiful cymbal, probably my second favorite is my 16" AAX X-Plosion Fash Crash, not to be confused with the X-Plosion Crash. This is very similar to the 16 Stage, just a little bit lower in tone. I don't see many people using the Fast Crashes. Not sure why. They are very nice and quick and smooth. They are thin and fragile, so maybe that is why. I don't over hit my stuff like some. Proper cymbal hitting can go a long way in preserving your cymbals. I can't afford to be replacing them every month. I used all my money on my kit :)

Absoutely amazing. The artctic white with back hardware is my favourite color combo of any drum today. Last year I had a chance to pick up a mint 7 piece kit just like that for around $1200 and I passed on it. Been kicking myself ever since. Any vids? Would love to see/hear it in action

Absoutely amazing. The artctic white with back hardware is my favourite color combo of any drum today. Last year I had a chance to pick up a mint 7 piece kit just like that for around $1200 and I passed on it. Been kicking myself ever since. Any vids? Would love to see/hear it in action
Hey Scarlit. I did a quick little video with my flip phone, Unfortunately when I upload to youtube now the quality drops way down. Here is the link to the video on my site. http://www.sticks4drums.com/apps/videos/videos/show/12935991-fooling-around-on-the-monster I am in the process of buying mics for the kit. As soon as I get everything hooked up I will do a video of them. I love the contrast also. Thanks for the kind words.

Last edited:
Holy shit! That kit is amazing and what great photos. You really presented your kit in the best way possible. Great!
Thank you very much. I know I am a little over the top, but hey, I love my kit. :)

That's all ya got?

Seriously man...this is the best drum photography on the forums, hands down. You win!

That's all ya got?

Seriously man...this is the best drum photography on the forums, hands down. You win!

Thank you very much. It feels really good to be appreciated. Drum forums have been a very rough ride for me. This forum so far, has been a very mature, nice, secure, place to be. Keep up the good work people. You deserve a pat on the back. Thanks again.

Beautiful photos, man. Is Arctic White for Mapex a wrap or a lacquer? Ludwig recently discontinued a finish called Arctic White that was a lacquer with a subtle sparkle about it that really didn't show up in photos.

Beautiful photos, man. Is Arctic White for Mapex a wrap or a lacquer? Ludwig recently discontinued a finish called Arctic White that was a lacquer with a subtle sparkle about it that really didn't show up in photos.

Yeah, it's a damn shame...it was the nicest lacquer finish they offered, IMO. I have a CM snare w/ that finish (Arctic Glitter) and it's a beauty. Bermuda mentioned that his drums had yellowed slightly and that's probably why it was discontinued.

A wrap, how dare you say wrap. :) No it has am "eight coat, hand applied deep gloss lacquer finish". That is from the Mapex site.

Now those are the posts I am used to from other sites. :) Drums are like donuts, you can never have enough. :)

I used to have like 5 toms, two basses, etc... just got to be a pain in the ass replacing all those heads, getting into the kit, moving it and haveing to adjust everything.

I have a 1 up two down kit with a single pedal now...less to carry.

I used to have like 5 toms, two basses, etc... just got to be a pain in the ass replacing all those heads, getting into the kit, moving it and haveing to adjust everything.

I have a 1 up two down kit with a single pedal now...less to carry.

I know what you are saying. This is my mid-life crises, recording kit. It will stay in the basement most of its life, unless Neil Peart gets sick or something, and they call me up. :)

It is wicked fun to play though. I love to have all the different sounds at my disposal.

Talk about an out of body experience! Dude! You rock!!! Your kit is great. Please post ANYTHING of you playing it.

Im jealous, me and my little 6 piecer.
Probably the nicest set I've ever seen, must have cost a fortune!
But I bet it is worth it :)

Oh and by the way how do you like that 20" paragon crash?

Im jealous, me and my little 6 piecer.
Probably the nicest set I've ever seen, must have cost a fortune!
But I bet it is worth it :)

Oh and by the way how do you like that 20" paragon crash?

Hey maniac, there is nothing wrong with a little 6 piecer. It is all in how you present it. I hope no one on here thinks I put these pics up to make anyone feel badly. I am 46, and finally have the kit that I have always wanted. The type of music I love dictates many sounds. I always say, why should the guitar and piano players have all the notes. :) I love hearing all the different tom sounds.

I bought the 20" because it was used and in great shape. Oh and because Neil uses it. :) I don't use it very much. I much prefer the 16" cymbals. I think I could live with just the 3 16's that I have.(AAX Stage Crash, Paragon crash, AAX X-Plosion Fast crash.)
The 20" sounds just like the 18, and 16 Paragons, just deeper. So I guess it depends on the style of music you play. It is loud. Without hearing protection, this thing hurts my ears, and I can listen to pretty loud stuff. All the Paragons are a very nice mix between too smooth, and too dark. right in the middle somewhere. They are very similar to the AAX-Stage crashes, with just a bit more bark. Hope that helps. Thanks again for the kind words.

Back