About to purchase...thoughts before purchasing?

Aussiedrummer

Okay after mannnnnnnnnnnny hours I think I am done and have picked what I will order...here it is:

Tama Superstar SK Hyperdrive 6pce
zildjian Oriental 20''China Trash
zildjian A Custom 8''splash
zildjian A 16''Fast Crash
zildjian A 18''Fast Crash
zildjian A Custom 20''Ping Ride
zildjian 14''Newbeat Hihats

.../wipes sweat away from forehead...now no more looking at cymbals, given me a headache.

What do you guys think of what I have chosen

I'd avoid a little 16" crash and get another 18+

K custom hybrids are my choice of zildjian crash.

Also, the ping ride is cool if that's what you want but only makes one sound. I played a k custom dry ride the other week and it had that pingy rock sound but it wasn't so full on, it had some dark/complex sounds so it was more versatile to me.

I'd be getting a 22" k Constantinople (as I have) though. If you're in NSW Haworth has some good zildjians.

I'd avoid a little 16" crash and get another 18+

K custom hybrids are my choice of zildjian crash.

Also, the ping ride is cool if that's what you want but only makes one sound. I played a k custom dry ride the other week and it had that pingy rock sound but it wasn't so full on, it had some dark/complex sounds so it was more versatile to me.

I'd be getting a 22" k Constantinople (as I have) though. If you're in NSW Haworth has some good zildjians.

Thanks for the response.

I live in cairns and the only music store here is pretty bad unfortunately, so i can't even try what I am buying!

I am ordering through this site www.drummersparadise.com.au, not sure if they have what you suggested..ill check it out.

So having an 16 and 18inch crash combo isn't a good idea for metal style drumming?..what would you suggest...18/19 orr.

Thanks again.

I would go with a 17 and 19 inch crash set up.
I second the K Custom Hybrids.

I would go with a 17 and 19 inch crash set up.
I second the K Custom Hybrids.

So K Custom Hybrids 17 and 19 crashes you reckon?

These ones here?

http://www.drummersparadise.com.au/...brid-series/114/271/k-custom-17--hybrid-crash

http://www.drummersparadise.com.au/...brid-series/114/273/k-custom-19--hybrid-crash

Read they are best for jazz/rock etc...hate to be that guy but I will be mainly playing for fun..and for me that is metal/metalcore....would these be suited to that, or would the ones I had in the OP more suited for that?

Thanks!

Can you try them out before buying?

I've got the 16 and 18" Fast Crashes. I like the 18 a lot better than the 16. I wouldn't have gotten the 16 at all, but it was included as part of a pack.

I don't normally use crashes much, but the only one I've heard lately that I've considered getting is the Zildjian 18" K Dark Thin crash.
I think something like the A Fast Crash or A Custom Crash might be more suitable for metal type stuff though - just a guess.

I would strongly advise against buying an Oriental China unless you've heard them in person. To my ears, they sound just awful- super heavy for a china, weird profile, and annoying overtones, but I know a few people that do actually like it. It's a very polarizing china and there's no way to know if you'd like it except in person. Check out the Sabian 19" Holy China, 19" AAXtreme, or Meinl Byzance Brilliant 20" and see what you think.

So K Custom Hybrids 17 and 19 crashes you reckon?

These ones here?

http://www.drummersparadise.com.au/...brid-series/114/271/k-custom-17--hybrid-crash

http://www.drummersparadise.com.au/...brid-series/114/273/k-custom-19--hybrid-crash

Read they are best for jazz/rock etc...hate to be that guy but I will be mainly playing for fun..and for me that is metal/metalcore....would these be suited to that, or would the ones I had in the OP more suited for that?

Thanks!

They're great for metal. I don't like A's personally so I would tell you yes, get them instead. K's are way better IMO. I would get at least 18 personally. 2x18's or an 18 + 19.

I would strongly advise against buying an Oriental China unless you've heard them in person. To my ears, they sound just awful- super heavy for a china, weird profile, and annoying overtones, but I know a few people that do actually like it. It's a very polarizing china and there's no way to know if you'd like it except in person. Check out the Sabian 19" Holy China, 19" AAXtreme, or Meinl Byzance Brilliant 20" and see what you think.

Unfortunately where I live the only music store has pretty much no selection of drum equipment, so I am going off of review and advice.

The reason I chose that China is because of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tdHBk6QDJ4

although now that i look at it again, he has an eighteen inch version, ill change it to that

and I thought it sounded great with that style of drumming, which is most likely what I will be playing.

Thank you for the recommendations though and I will check them out.

Those 19" AAXtreme actually look pretty good, tossing up between the two now

The reason I chose that China is because of this video:

You can't choose a cymbal based on how it sounds in a live setting, with mics, with equalizing, effects.. bla bla. It probably doesn't sound a thing like that in person. And you certainly won't know how the cymbal feels. In case you really, really are in no position to try cymbals in person, watch videos from mycymbal.com. Those samples are quite accurate, but I personally wouldn't buy a cymbal based on a video.

Buying cymbals shouldn't be a headache, it should be "oh I want that, and that, and that! And that one! :D But I don't have enough money... :( "

You can't choose a cymbal based on how it sounds in a live setting, with mics, with equalizing, effects.. bla bla. It probably doesn't sound a thing like that in person. And you certainly won't know how the cymbal feels. In case you really, really are in no position to try cymbals in person, watch videos from mycymbal.com. Those samples are quite accurate, but I personally wouldn't buy a cymbal based on a video.

Buying cymbals shouldn't be a headache, it should be "oh I want that, and that, and that! And that one! :D But I don't have enough money... :( "

Yeah you are right, dunno what I was thinking haha!

Ill compare the two (19" AAXtreme) using mycmbal.com and see which I think is more suitable.

I am already looking at spending close to 2k just on cymbals alone!, after this I think ill be set and will only need to replace them if they crack or something...dont think ill need anything else in the future...the kit will take me to where my skill ends up i think, wont be held back.

I am already looking at spending close to 2k just on cymbals alone!, after this I think ill be set and will only need to replace them if they crack or something...dont think ill need anything else in the future...

So take your time! :) You could start off by getting a ride, one crash and some hi-hats, play them for a while and get used to the sound and eventually ask yourself, "Hm, what should I get to complement this setup? Since you're gonna play metal, I suggest getting some big cymbals, at least 18" crashes, and a 19-20" chinese. A crashable ride won't hurt either. :)

Man.. spending 2k on cymbals, I wish I was in your shoes right now haha.

So take your time! :) You could start off by getting a ride, one crash and some hi-hats, play them for a while and get used to the sound and eventually ask yourself, "Hm, what should I get to complement this setup? Since you're gonna play metal, I suggest getting some big cymbals, at least 18" crashes, and a 19-20" chinese. A crashable ride won't hurt either. :)

Man.. spending 2k on cymbals, I wish I was in your shoes right now haha.

Haha, yeah it's pretty exciting seeing all these different drum kits/cymbals etc.

I guess the zildjian A Custom 20''Ping Ride doesn't crash well I heard, its really only a one sounding ride....any good alternatives that you would consider for metal?

I guess the zildjian A Custom 20''Ping Ride doesn't crash well I heard, its really only a one sounding ride....any good alternatives that you would consider for metal?

I have a Meinl Byzance Brilliant 20" Heavy Ride, and I think any heavy Brilliant or Traditional cymbal in the 20-22" range would do you good. It has a very nice crash when built up. The Sabian HHX Evolution ride has a really great bell and crash, but you might want to tame its wash with a little gaff tape close to the bell. I had an AAX Stadium Ride from them that also had a pretty good crash. Zildjian's K Custom Hybrid ride is a good option as well, as is the Sabian 22" AAX Omni (bright crash and a very dry ride). There's also the new AA Bash Ride from Sabian in 21" or 24" but I haven't tried one of those.

Those are all crashable options, though- in my experience, metal players often simply don't crash their ride that much and prefer it to be quite heavy so as to project the stick attack and bell better. In that case, you should look at all 4 Sabian Raw Bell Dry Rides, Meinl Mb10 and Mb20 rides, and the Zildjian A Custom Rezo and K Custom ride.

Anyone looking to buy cymbals from an Aussie retailer owes it to themselves to check these guys out: http://www.guitarfactory.com.au/
They are about the cheapest I've found here in Oz. I only cross checked the New Beats, but they're $30 odd cheaper here than at Drummer Paradise. May be worth your while seeing if there are any other savings to be made as well.

What do you guys think of what I have chosen

More importantly, what do YOU think?

You're being run a little ragged here mate and being given more options than you can poke a sharp stick at, so I'm not gonna add to the confusion. I'll just leave you with this. At the end of the day, you're the one who has to listen to them and you're the one that's gotta be happy with the sound. Choose sounds that YOU want to listen to every time you hit the things.....not something that pleases someone else.

Not sure if this is even an issue, but are certain countries taxed more than others? So if you bought cymbals from the U.S., do they pay more for those than if they were made in Germany? Maybe you can get Meinl's cheaper than Zildjians? Or Sabians - they're still made in Canada? Does Australia do this?

Not sure if this is even an issue, but are certain countries taxed more than others? So if you bought cymbals from the U.S., do they pay more for those than if they were made in Germany? Maybe you can get Meinl's cheaper than Zildjians? Or Sabians - they're still made in Canada? Does Australia do this?

I am noticing that I am paying sooo much freaking more for cymbals and drum kits on this australian website (drummersparadise.com.au) in comparison to musiciansfriend.com.

For instance the zildgian k custom hybrid ride is around 350 on musiciansfriend.com as opposed to drummersparadise at 510....that's a big difference...same thing with the drum kits..for example they have the tama superstar hyperdrive six piece at 2199 whereas musiciansfriend has it at 1199.

Am I the only one who finds this bloody ridiculous lol?

although the one for 1000 cheaper is a shell pack and the one off their website has the hardware included except cymbals...still think it is massively overpriced.

Back