Jojo Mayer

Usally he uses Ambassador coated batter and clear resos. Just standard. Bassdrum also usally Ambassador, sometimes PS3.

It would be terrible for me not to share this find...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jftzYV0pBxM&NR=1

I highly reccomend watching all of this and the first clip, but if you want to hear the funkiest beat of your life, go straight to 6:10...perfect camera angle for figuring out what hes doing aswell.

rrLRLBLRLBBRLBRRL..just general sticking

I recently watched a interview with Jojo in youtube and he said that he was self taught.
1st I have to say WOW !!!
2nd is a question. Does anyone know if he can read sheet music? How does he prepare for his jazz gigs and other music if he's playing covers.

Without having seen the interview, self-taught doesn't necessarily mean he can't read. It more than likely means he taught himself more than by having a teacher. People can still do that. Some people will say you can get there alot quicker with a teacher and this is most likely true, but there are those that say you can get to playing just like everybody else too alot quicker with a teacher ;)

If I remember correctly, he had some teachings with Chapin and those guys, to fix his technique problems. He can read music though.

Even if he can't read, he can still have a natural sense of time. i can read music but havent in such a long time, and never played any music outside of 4/4, but i have a prog band that changes time signatures and stuff often, i just use a natural sense of time and it fits very well.

I can see him being self taught with the guidance of Chapin and Morello. When you have a teacher, they fill you in on the technical aspect of drumming far as technique etc..... I believe he can read cause he knows quite a bit about time signatures and playing different shuffles. It explains how he was able to decypher buddy riches tricks and execute them flawlessly. Self taught musicians may know how to play polygon rhythms, but playing them differently isn't necessarily going to be a strong point. On the sabian omni page, he demonstrates some crazy polygon rhythm rolls and when I first heard them I'm like crap piss because it was sick how he did it. I forgot which song it was though.

Back