Heads sounding like theyre covered

laxation

ATM I have Remo pinstripes (and Emperor X snare) heads on my drums, and just tried drumming with shirts on top of all the drums.

I loved the dead sound it gave, but it was pretty quiet...

Are there any heads that will give a similar dead sound?

Closest thing I can think of would be pulling off your reso's and using a Remo CS Dot with some additional muffling via moongel's or whatever tape / kleenex / whatever combination to further cut overtones.

(ps - anyone know if you can still get dots on top? a quick look at the Remo site had CS dots listed as being underneath...)

Evans Hydraulic heads would probably be the most dead sounding of heads. They are double ply with oil inside. The Aquarian Performance II are in that area too, double ply with dampening ring.

I sometimes record with the Performance II's. I also use the Studio-X's also by Aquarian.
These heads are almost like the cloth-over dampening sound. I also use a cloth on my snare sometimes. I started doing it years ago for practice and I liked the sound.

Evans Hydraulic heads would probably be the most dead sounding of heads. They are double ply with oil inside. The Aquarian Performance II are in that area too, double ply with dampening ring.

Aquarian Performance 2's don't get their sound from a " dampening ring" They don't have a dampening ring. What you are referring to is just an ink ring for looks.

Performance II™:

A clear, two ply head manufactured with Aquarian’s Vacuum Process™ which eliminates air bubbles and wrinkles between the two plies. Remember that big, fat, low tom tom sound you heard on the classic rock and roll records? The sound that you could never get on your own? Now you can! Performance II™ drumheads were designed for “loose” tuning to get the depth and punch with no “over-ring”. This drumhead is sealed around the edge to create that really deep sound on the tom toms.

Back