My daughter's first drum set

EarthRocker

I'm super excited about this. My daughter will be turning 3 in December, so for christmas we've order the Gammon five piece drum kit. The booger comes with a 16" bass drum, two rack, and a floor tom. 'Lil crash cymbal, and hi hats. And then I made her a little cymbal stand, and I'm putting an 18" cheapo crash / ride on it for her, too.

I was going to hold off on getting her drums, but for the last few months she's been obsessed with climbing on my stool and messing with mine. I even bought her some junior sticks from a local music store because it's very difficult for her to manage my Vic Firth SD1 sticks.

Last edited:
My daughter is going to be eight this December, and she wants a set as well. Been catching her banging on everything to the music. Even caught her doing the shuffle beat (is that is what it is called???) for The Beatles' "With a Little Help From My Friends...

She will be getting a converted floor tom, a Ludwig Aluminum Standard Snare, and some ZBT hi hats (with stand, of course) to start her off. No clue on toms yet... but at least she'll have the basic starting point there--hats, snare, and bass. She can work on rudiments (and probably teach me...), and some coordination. Just need to find some thin sticks for her to use...

My wife and I will be having our first (and hopefully only) child this February. It was unplanned....but I'm sure I was too. :D

We'll be having a daughter. I plan on telling her that my drum kit is a big scary loud monster that lives in the basement.

That should buy me at least 10 years......

Oww come on...
Nothing's more fun than drumming along with your daughter's favorite song (that would be a Rhianna song for my 9 yrs old), the two of you playing together quatre mains each on half of the kit, nailing it together!

I bought a Sonor Safari a while back for a low volume gig I had, since I'm done with low volume gigs :) I gave the safari to my daughter (she had one of those Toys R Us specials when she was 2 bust she busted it up good) and now we have drumsets facing eachother and we do sort of a call and response thing - she's pretty good at. I mean really, it's great fun jamming with your kid - I'm sure all drummer dad's feel that way, there's just no words to express it..

Yeah I'll admit that while the prospect of being a father is scary and nerve-racking, I'm a bit excited too. I'm sure she'll become curious about the drums, I'll show her a basic 4/4 money beat when she's 5 years old.....and then she'll put me to shame behind the drums by the time she is 8!

It's just sort of "bad" timing if you will for me musically. I just started getting seriously back into drums after an almost 20 yr layoff (I just turned 36) and my band has been getting lots of gig and it's been a blast. I'm practicing a lot and feel stronger than I've ever been behind the drum kit and really don't see myself putting my drumsticks away like I did many years ago.

Thankfully my wife is VERY supportive and understands that I will need my "band time." (Plus....the extra money from a few gigs a month will help pay for my daughter's future college tuition!) She will take baby to her mother's house on practice nights when it gets VERY loud in the house with the full band. Other than that, I'm not a really hard hitter and I can practice in the basement and it doesn't get TOO loud upstairs.

I'm looking forward to being a decent drummer and a great father for the rest of my life.

I wanted to play the drums since I was a tiny little guy, but due to financing and the attitude that drums "weren't a real instrument" it was until I was much older that I got my hands on a kit. And I ended up buying it for my own money. It was 60 bucks, a nameless Yardsale drum kit. It was a combination of Allowance money, and cutting some lawns.

I started learning around 12 or 13, but didn't take it seriously until I was about 16. I just hate that I didn't have the oppertunity to start sooner. My daughter will be around the drums starting at exactly 3 years old (her birthday is December 26th). So hopefully she'll keep enthusiasm, and be an incredible little drummer by the time she's 10.

Have fun playing drums with your daughters guys! Just don't let them take up the guitar. Stinking guitarists....

Back