Opinions on Remo Black Suede

MediocrityMaster

So i just bought some new test heads for one of my toms.

its Black suede emperors over clear ambassadors

i just wanted to know everyones opinions on them, if any,

i personally love the sound, really punchy and deep.
i also am in need for a snare side head, i dont want too much snare into it i kinda want a tom sound but with a snare coming out too.

I just recently put the same setup on my toms and I love it as well. Very warm and tonal, wide range, just the right amount of decay - not dead, and doesn't ring forever. Excellent choice imo.

+1 on the Emp. Emp. X for a nice warm tone. Emp. X/Ambassador reso is always a good combination on snare. You can set snare tension accordingly for how snary you want it to be.

finally someone else who has tried them, haha
sadly i couldnt get the emperor snare side, cause i asked my mom to go pick them up for me, and the idiot gave her an amb snare side, but i'll make do.

Emp/Amb is the better way to go, imo. Emp/Emp would sound a little dead I think. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I'm curious what my toms would sound like if I put black suede Emps reso-side instead of clear Emps.

So i just bought some new test heads for one of my toms.

its Black suede emperors over clear ambassadors

i just wanted to know everyones opinions on them, if any,

i personally love the sound, really punchy and deep.
i also am in need for a snare side head, i dont want too much snare into it i kinda want a tom sound but with a snare coming out too.

Not a fan. A little dead and thumpy for my taste

I have a Remo Black X on my snare. It's a two-ply version of the black suedes with a reverse power dot. It's my favorite snare head I've used so far. I used to use Remo Emperor X; the Black X is similar but has a little bit warmer mid-range tone. Just love the thing!

Do you have any samples of the Black Suede Emporers on your toms? I've been a bit reluctant to use them on toms because I'm afraid the sound will just be a thud.

I have a Remo Black X on my snare. It's a two-ply version of the black suedes with a reverse power dot. It's my favorite snare head I've used so far. I used to use Remo Emperor X; the Black X is similar but has a little bit warmer mid-range tone. Just love the thing!

Do you have any samples of the Black Suede Emporers on your toms? I've been a bit reluctant to use them on toms because I'm afraid the sound will just be a thud.

I don't have any samples, but I can tell you I'm using pretty low end shells and they sound pretty good on there. I used clear Ambs though to keep it pretty resonant. The black suede batter sides provide JUST the right amount of dampening imo so that I don't have to put anything on the heads to muffle and alter the sound, but they don't sound like a thud either.

i dont have any methods of recording other than a crappy rockband microphone, but the way i tune my drums it gives moderate resonance, pretty dark, and theres a lot of attack, but then i have clear ambassadors on the reso side so i can just flip my drums over and get a bit of a different tone

I can't recommend them for snares though. I ordered an Ambassador when they first came out, but received an Emperor instead which is not a big deal. Anyway, it has loads of resonance but very little attack or focus and the texture is not meant for brushes at all despite what Remo says. I'm sure these would be fine on toms though as would the Ambassador weight.

I don't have any samples, but I can tell you I'm using pretty low end shells and they sound pretty good on there. I used clear Ambs though to keep it pretty resonant. The black suede batter sides provide JUST the right amount of dampening imo so that I don't have to put anything on the heads to muffle and alter the sound, but they don't sound like a thud either.

Are using the Emperor, Ambassador or Diplomat weight black suede

Cymbal, yeah, I can imagine the suede doesn't work all too well with brushes on a snare (especially res side, as far as response is concerned). Honestly though not much is good for brushes unless you have single ply batter imo, which sacrifices durability if you play more than just jazz.

Audio, I am using the suede Emp batter side, and clear Amb res side (toms only, not snare).

Suede's are interesting, anyone use them as reso's? maybe with a battered clear or coated emperor for toms?

Back