The Grand Master Buddy Rich

Re: Mr. Drums "Buddy Rich"

About a year, maybe 2 years ago when I started reading on this forum.
Before that I was a Travis Barker type bloke.
How things change!

Tom

About a year, maybe 2 years ago when I started reading on this forum.
Tom

Yup, I first saw him when I got on this forum about 4 years ago( I forgot my original screen name when I took a big hiatus from drumming and drummerworld). Everybody was talking about him, so I decided to look him up and sure enough he was nothing short of amazing. Not to mention the fact that every other video I saw he was still doing amazing things, that guy was relentless.

I had heard of him about as long as I can remember but really started to listen in the early to mid 60's when his big band got going. When I started playing drums there were two names that everyone talked about Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich. I've heard that somewhere there is a bootleg video showing most if not all of Buddy's Tonight Show appearances. Those minutes with Carson were great and I always appreciated how gracious Ed Shaunessy was to have Buddy take over the drum chair on those shows. I suppose he didn't have a choice but Ed is a true gentleman and always seemed like he loved Buddy's performances as much as anyone else.

Ohhh...

It was around 1973. On the Tonight Show. I was about 10. I knew right then I was gonna be a drummer. The first time I saw BR...I was speechless! And to this day, I'm still in awe of him every time I see or hear him play.

They broke the mold with Buddy Rich. NEVER to be another! Period.

Play On, BR! ;-)

One of the first albums I ever bought was The Original Drum Battle. I was about ten. Then I got to see and meet Buddy at a free concert about that time. He was signing autographs, and I had him sign something I had, like the back of a business card. I always carried a wallet, even as a kid. I kept it for a while but don't know what happened to it. I guess the lesson is be better prepared when seeking an autograph. He ended the set with The West Side Story Medley; it was incredible. I went out and got some of his albums. I still have the lps. I should have gotten the lp signed.

yeah i think buddy rich is one of the greatist drummers of all time
i found on youtube.com a clip about him with him and animal (from the muppet's)
batteling on the drums i lookt him up on drummerworld.com en here they have thousend of things about buddy rich his techniceu is great

greets,derk

Ditto the Tonight Show appearances. I think Johnny Carson did alot to make some of us younger viewers at the time aware Buddy. I think it's great that Johnny really liked the drums and played a little.

For me, Buddy always had this intimidating persona on the show and a kind of cutting humor, like I was never quite sure what to make of him at the time. Now I see that alot of that was shtick but based on the fact that (from what I hear) Buddy could be a "formidable" person in real life.

Even now when I watch the clips that are out there, I think that it shouldn't be humanly possible to do what he does.

Re: MR. DRUMS "BUDDY RICH"

probably around half way into the movie, they are playing this song by the ramones, and they do this little thing where the drummer kid is watching 3 clips, one is buddy, one is keith moon, and the other is some jazz guy i forget his name.

I may well be wrong, it's been a long time since I watched the film, but I think the third guy is Elvin.

The Muppet show... he started playing just the with the sticks by themsleves backstage... (no one could do this like Buddy, no one STILL can't) then he moved on to the stage did a solo and a drum duel with animal.

It was one of the coolest things ever... first drum solo I ever saw... of course I was a CHILD, no more than 7 years old...

I always liked the more subdued things Buddy did... like just playing with the sticks... his solos often were going all out 100% of the time and artistically, I find that personally to be terribly boring... maybe if Buddy was a kid now he'd be a death metal drummer.

However his later years playing was often sublime and inspired... I feel somehow he and the media pigeonholed himself a lot in this role of Buddy the intense larger than life soloist... yet his playing, not his soloing is what I admire most.

That is one thing I never understood. Often times kids mention "who is the fastest" or "how can I play faster" and they get shot down by some of the member.

Yet, these are the same people who love BR.

Now, I have never seen somebody play like BR. Truely unbelieveable. But, BR solos were almost always about speed. Of course he had stellar technique, but, from what I have seen, BR was playing fast almost all the time.

I love BR and he was the greatest, but a lot of what he did that amazed us was based on his speed.

I think if he was a kid now, he would be a great death metal drummer!

My dad loved him, and would play his records for me. Somewhere, I have a tshirt of his from a concert in '75 I think. Anyway, now that both my dad and Buddy are gone, every time I watch, I feel a little bit more connected. Maybe that sounds weird, but eh.

I've heard stories about Buddy's 'gruffness' too. My brother, a music major at Cal State Northridge, heard some interesting tapes that his trombone teacher played. Apparently the guy played in the BR big band at some point, and he had recordings of the "lectures" Buddy would give the band after a show. From what I hear, he took performances very seriously, to say the least. Can anyone tell any more detailed stories about this? I've always wondered about what his personality was like...

Brutal...just brutal.

Wow, Jeremy!

Incredible find, here. I guess if you keep searchin' YouTube...you'll find some amazing stuff!

I wonder who recorded these? Hmmm...

Oh, and nhzoso,

People in glass houses...

:-|[/QUOT

Whatever dude, In all seriousness though, Keep my name out of your idiotic posts from now and I will do the same.. Thanks

Back