brushes

gretsch223

I'm looking for some new brushes for jazz. I have the vic firth jazz brushes but I want something that will last long and be a little bit more light weight...I saw the steve gadd brushes on musicians friend and they look good but I need to try them out.

P.S- They need to be retractable!

Thanks for your help!

Even though i dont own brushes at the moment, for some reason i tend to like the retractable kind with the plastic brushes, not metal. Gives a little more of a heavier sound. But sometimes i will prefer metal, but not always.

Edit- heh heh heh. post 2112. Go rush!

I use the Regal Tip Jeff Hamilton Model 596R. I've had them for about three years now and find them suitable for all applications,including jazz. These brushes have lasted quite a long time considering that I am a complete imbecile with a pair of brushes; this is not because my playing is bad,I am simply hard on all the brushes I've owned. I wish I could comment as to their weight but I have never viewed brushes as being either heavy or light...Shows you how much I know!

I tried the Steve Gadd model brushes and didn't like them. The feature is that the end is flat against the surface of the head, thus producing a fuller sound. However this will present a big problem as the brushes wear and the bristles get bent. I have yet to try them out, but I am thinking of the Regal Tip Clayton Cameron model. They are longer than most brushes and I believe that they are retractable.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw

i recently moved back to the Jeff Hamilton model, after using a lighter brush,,i feel the stiffness allows for more expression, and trainbeats come easier too.........that said, its nice to have a couple around for different applications.

i recently moved back to the Jeff Hamilton model, after using a lighter brush,,i feel the stiffness allows for more expression, and trainbeats come easier too.........that said, its nice to have a couple around for different applications.

I'll 3rd the JH Regal Tip Brush........nice balance and feel

Thanks for the replys!

How do the Jeff Hamiltons compare to the vic firth jazz brushes?

Thanks.

the vic firth ones seem to be harder to grip with,, something about the hardness of the stem,,and i found them heavy,,but its been a while,,perhaps they have changed.
The hamiltons seem more friendly in the hands.

I agree with Fat In The Middle's assessment of the JH brushes: they are very "hand friendly." I also think the reason that they have lasted so long in my possession is that they are very sturdy and can take a beating. I use them quite often and have yet to bend them or cause them to age too quickly.I think they just might be right up your alley...

I always used the Regal Tip classic 583R, The wire isn't as stiff as the Jeff Hamilton brush, and also the handle isn't as thick. I like my brush wire to be REALLY fexable. But I have just switched to Regal's new John "JR" Robinson model. It's just like the 583R, but the handle is longer, like the Clayton Cameron. Somthing about the longer handel and the rubber they use on it, just feels so... right. Hard to explain, but after trying one pair I was sold! Not sure if they are even in stores yet, I got mine from PASIC.

So, you`ve got the Jazz brushes...which have this white grip? right?

Well, I`ve got the Vic Firth Heritage Brushes, they are awesome! They are lighter, thinner strands...very very cool for jazz!

PS: The Heritage Brushes have a violet grip...

Karl

I agree with Karl on this issue as well great choice.

I'm also a heritage brush user. I'm totally in love with them. I don't think any other brush I've played has compared to them. Super buttery soft and extra flexible so you can kind of get a big accent or flam sound if you whip them right. Awesome investment.

I really love the heritage brushes, but I haven't tried the Jeff Hamilton brushes and they are obviously highly recommended.

Gadd has some pretty sweet wire brushes. They have an extremely comfortable grip.

I have a problem with the Vic Firth Brushes. I did not want to start a new post, being that this one already existed. But my Vic Firth brushes fall apart easily. I like the wood handle, because I can actually play a rim shot with them. This past weekend, I went up with my left hand on the top of my crash cymbal and shot my bass player with the wires from brushes. The amusement lasted for a few seconds. I have had it where I was loosing a few wires each time, but this was the first time I lost the whole brush.

I suppose I can modify the brushes by putting them in a vice and applying silicone near the part where the wires come out. But I want to get a quality brand with wooden handles. Can anyone recommend a wood handle brush, not Vick Firth?

I've had the same stock Regal Tip, black rubber handled retractable wire brushes for about 10 years now, and I love them. I can bend the retractable part at certain lengths to keep the bristles in one place or another. I rarely use them all the way fanned out.

In fact, I posted an .mp3 of my brush playing here in the "Your Playing" area under "Bo Eder Karaoke Jazz drumming" if you want to hear my take on dreaming to be apart of a Blue Note session.

So, you`ve got the Jazz brushes...which have this white grip? right?

Well, I`ve got the Vic Firth Heritage Brushes, they are awesome! They are lighter, thinner strands...very very cool for jazz!

PS: The Heritage Brushes have a violet grip...

Karl

+1. The only person I have ever heard play well with those white-handled terrors was Jack DeJohnette. The Heritages are much better, imho. For me, I would also look at the rubber-handled, retractable Regal Tip models. Pretty much the standard brush in our field. Zildjian also has a similar model with a little bit of "beef" closer to where the bristles extend from for a little extra "pop" on accents.

Back