Heads for a vintage Ludwig kit

dbshorter

I recently got a '58 WFL Ludwig Super Classic kit. The toms came with Aquarian Response 2 heads on them that are at least 10 years old. I'm replacing the heads soon but I wanted to know if anyone had any advice on the best tom heads for that vintage Luddy feel. Should I go coated? I've heard coated heads are warmer, but I've just always played Evans G2 clear heads.

Well, yes, I imagine if I wanted to stay true to the era I'd go with calfskin. But it's a player's kit and I'm going to be gigging with it, I want some heads that will hold up well.

It was a joke.

Personally, I'd use a coated one or two ply head from my preferred head manufacturer (in your case it sounds like that'd be a G1 or G2). The coated option is pretty much all that was used on every kit from the late 50's when mylar heads first came into existance, through to the early 70's when clear heads started become far more popular. They'll definitely capture the look, feel and sound of the era.

But at the end of the day, a drum is a drum. Whether it's from '58, '78 or '08....use whatever head you feel gives you the sound you desire.

Last edited:
I get it now. That did make me curious to look up calfskin heads though, and Earthtone makes some that sound amazing.

.... '58 WFL Ludwig Super Classic kit .... vintage Luddy feel. Should I go coated? I've heard coated heads are warmer, but I've just always played Evans G2 clear heads.
Coated will be warmer, yes. Coated G2 over G1, will give that "vintage" vibe. You can adjust from there.​

I would go with Aquarian Modern Vintage coated or Aquarian American Vintage coated, depending on how old the drums are. The American Vintage are for older drums. Both sound warm and are durable (the coating doesn't wear off quickly if you play with brushes).

I'll have to check out the Aquarian vintage heads. For now I went with coated Evans G2's, and the drums sound AMAZING. Full and warm, just like I was hoping for.

I have a mid 70's vintage set of Luddies, and I slapped a new set of coated Aquarian Super 2's on the toms this weekend. Best heads that I have tried on this drumset yet. I played a show in a midsize room Saturday without mics, and I had people come up to me after the show and compliment me on my drum sound. Just regular patrons, not drum geeks.

Coated ambassadors top and bottom. Simples!

Yes, but the Vintage A on top over a regular coated Amb bottom sounds pretty sweet! To my ear its just in between a modern coated A and coated Emp.

FYI, in my drumming life as of late, applying a vintage A has been my answer to nearly every question. I had a 60s Supra that I never successfully brought to life, until I put a vintage A on it. Now its my go-to snare for every band I play with.

*On the toms if you want to look period-correct but don't love coated reso heads, I'd suggest a smooth white, video gloss, or your favorite brand of med/thin smooth white heads.

Back