Drum Set Duets

swstarks

Hey guys, me and one of my friends are wanting to do a drum set duet for a recital.

I have been trying to find some on different websites (Steve Wiess, Tapspace, etc.) with recordings but I haven't found any.

Does anybody know a good website for drum set duets, particularly with recordings/video, or just some good duets that you know off the top of your head?

Thanks!

The only real drum duets (or what I class as drum duets) are the old ones of Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa etc.

I feel like the more modern ones where they just play some dumb street-beat for ages are tasteless and boring.

Sorry, I know you're not asking for opinions on this stuff but, if you're going to be doing one then maybe take a look at the older guys and even if you don't copy their style take a leaf out of their book in the construction and performance of it.
I think they were superior.

Well, if he's talking about duets, that's doesn't mean battle, which is what Buddy and Gene, or Buddy and anybody else, would be doing.

One of the more interesting drum duet team I can think of is Bill Bruford and Pat Mastellotto when they both played in King Crimson in the early 90s. They did some very interesting duet stuff where their playing contrasted each other. I'd say look up some King Crimson from the 90s on YouTube and you'll see what I mean.

I'd root around on the Steve Weiss Music site-- there's a book by Murray Houllif, and I'm sure others there. There's a good book by Jake Hanna, vol. 2 of Syncopated Big Band Figures, which is like a cross between Syncopation by Ted Reed, and big band style charts, written for two drummers-- those are good if you and your friend are familiar with the usual ways of playing Reed. You interpret them rather than play them verbatim.

Back