Show Off Your DW Kit

Nice, you only have five pieces to go :eek:

Actually getting my 2nd snare in this exotic finish today. The first snare was built wrong by dw - so they let me keep it while they built the correct snare. I originally ordered a 7x13 VLT and instead got a 7x13 'not sure what shell it is'. The inside sticker reads Collector's Exotic Standard - however the grain is diagonal on the inside of the shell (x or vlx or hvx maybe - but definitely not Standard and for sure not VLT). I'll take some pics of the 'twins' this evening :) I'm also interested to hear the sound difference between the two.

Actually getting my 2nd snare in this exotic finish today. The first snare was built wrong by dw - so they let me keep it while they built the correct snare. I originally ordered a 7x13 VLT and instead got a 7x13 'not sure what shell it is'. The inside sticker reads Collector's Exotic Standard - however the grain is diagonal on the inside of the shell (x or vlx or hvx maybe - but definitely not Standard and for sure not VLT). I'll take some pics of the 'twins' this evening :) I'm also interested to hear the sound difference between the two.
Very nice, I ordered this 6x13 vlt to match my exotic kit. I dug the snare that much. I like the idea of that 7" depth. By all means let us know if you hear a difference from that mystery X shell. I would think the vlt will have a little more livelyness.

Attachments

• DSCN8888.jpg
    DSCN8888.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 2,710
Very nice, I ordered this 6x13 vlt to match my exotic kit. I dug the snare that much. I like the idea of that 7" depth. By all means let us know if you hear a difference from that mystery X shell. I would think the vlt will have a little more livelyness.

Here they are...haven't had a chance to test them out side-by-side yet. Hopefully will do so tomorrow. Honestly, I like the grain pattern on the original drum more as it has more lines and depth that you can't really see on camera. But, I'm very pleased that the new one is exactly what I wanted to begin with...VLT.

7842093050_c3f050e956_z.jpg

7842091604_eee7cf6ba5_z.jpg

7842090136_a63bccca2b_z.jpg

7842084568_1be8d2dec9_z.jpg

Here they are...haven't had a chance to test them out side-by-side yet. Hopefully will do so tomorrow. Honestly, I like the grain pattern on the original drum more as it has more lines and depth that you can't really see on camera. But, I'm very pleased that the new one is exactly what I wanted to begin with...VLT.
Seeing double! That looks really cool.
I suppose they are making you send the first one back in?

Be sure you sell the right one... ;o))))))

These came into my local Long& McQuade and I could not let them out of my sight. DW Jazz in Twisted Green Satin, Bop sizes (12x8,14x14,18x14,5x14) . Slightly used, about 35% discount. Gonna put the DW rail mount on there. I have the matching snare too...
Will post more pictures when I get them all set up with cymbals, etc....

Attachments

• DWJazzgreen.JPG
    DWJazzgreen.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 2,962
Love the green! Congrats! Awaiting other pics! :eek:)

I'm not really into green type of finishes, but yours is an exception. Very nice looking.

Dennis

Thanks guys. It will be a couple days but I'll put up more pictures, promise!

Just something about the green, I find it hypnotizing. I have a "Royal Blue" lacquer Collectors kit that I picked up for cheap, but the color just isn't my thing. Considering renting them out. But not these green gems!
More importantly, I really prefer the sound of the Jazz shells over the Collectors. Very unique sound....a 'modern vintage' so to speak. I will be using these mostly for folk/pop/rock/reggae, not much jazz. Although I do play some jazz.

Just like Peter Erskine says, don't let the name fool ya :)

Neal

The snare !
The finish reminds me of a crashing wave.

Attachments

• ddub wave snare.jpg
    ddub wave snare.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 2,705
Got a BIG kit of Jazzies: 24" kick, 13" Tom and 16", 18" Floors. Thunderous!!! Love them for the resonance. Pretty much have to keep coated heads on them... got G2s because I haven't found a good clear yet for this kit... maybe EC2s...?

Attachments

• DSCF5447-1.jpg
    DSCF5447-1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 2,433
Got a BIG kit of Jazzies: 24" kick, 13" Tom and 16", 18" Floors. Thunderous!!! Love them for the resonance. Pretty much have to keep coated heads on them... got G2s because I haven't found a good clear yet for this kit... maybe EC2s...?

Wow, nice kit! I've never seen or heard them that large. I can only imagine.
I like the focus that the die cast rims provide. Very warm and resonant sounding with not much decay with the Fiberskyn batters I just put on. Fiberskyn reso on the bass drum too, forggeddaboudit. Sounds great. Looks great. More pics coming later....

Neal

Wow, nice kit! I've never seen or heard them that large. I can only imagine.
I like the focus that the die cast rims provide. Very warm and resonant sounding with not much decay with the Fiberskyn batters I just put on. Fiberskyn reso on the bass drum too, forggeddaboudit. Sounds great. Looks great. More pics coming later....

Neal

Actually, I asked DW to put some triple flanged hoops on the toms simply because I wanted a more open sound with added resonance. Result? A sound that kicks your butt without the annoying ring, just good natural resonance. I get a little bit of the focus back when I select a thicker head. I did some stage and recording with it and engineers just love it. They walk around it and go: mmmmmm, nice! I love it.

MrCoffee, if you're looking for a controlled rock sound on those drums, have you tried the Remo clear Vintage Emperors ? I really like them on another kit I have - with 3 ply mahogany shells with maple re-rings and 30 degree edges.

Like the DW Jazz shells, they are nice a take on 'modern vintage'. Slightly darker than regular emperors but more controlled, less sustain, just as resonant. Very close . Logo is very different:)
Clear emps have been my 'rock head' for about 15 years and I would have no qualms using the clear vintage emps on anything...

Neal

Benn polishing them for a while now...put the Fiberskyn reso on the bass drum and Fiberskyn batters for the toms. Very tasty. Have yet to actually play the kit with cymbals, still in tuning mode, getting to know them. I like to take my time :)

Attachments

• dwGRnocym.jpg
    dwGRnocym.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 3,375
Benn polishing them for a while now...put the Fiberskyn reso on the bass drum and Fiberskyn batters for the toms. Very tasty. Have yet to actually play the kit with cymbals, still in tuning mode, getting to know them. I like to take my time :)

If they would be mine, they would have been played and have two head changes by now, lol.

Dennis

evilg99, thanks for the recommendation. I will try EC2s next time, more into Evans because of nicer overall fit and sitting on the tom... had many, many issues with Remos unfortunately...
BTW, love the Fybersky in front of your kit (I know it's Remo :eek:) I will try one on my Collectors one of these days, for the Jazzie, I'm very satisfied with EQ1... boomy with the thud!

If they would be mine, they would have been played and have two head changes by now, lol.

Dennis

I know Dennis, it's killing me. I'm so busy at work (7 days a week at the moment) I just don't have the time to do that.
I love the peaceful zen of changing heads and experimenting, polishing and cleaning, general maintenance, etc. And playing them of course!
Taking 'em out to a big gig this Friday. Big ballroom, big PA, about 800 people. Can't wait.

Neal

evilg99, thanks for the recommendation. I will try EC2s next time, more into Evans because of nicer overall fit and sitting on the tom... had many, many issues with Remos unfortunately...
BTW, love the Fybersky in front of your kit (I know it's Remo :eek:) I will try one on my Collectors one of these days, for the Jazzie, I'm very satisfied with EQ1... boomy with the thud!

Yes, I know what you're saying about the Remo heads. I have had a few duds over the years, but I roll with it. Pun intended.
I try out a lot of different heads and have just recently put EC2's on my Sonor 3007 maple kit...and they are great there. Tune 'em low. they love it.
Also been trying some Aquarians...Peformance II's = yuck. Waaaaaaaayyyyyy too dead. StudioX on a snare = liked it.....texture coated on a snare, liked it....Superkick - love them.

Neal

Back