Danny Carey

I can use 5 adjectives to refer to Danny Carey's playing. These adjectives would have to be polyrythmic, odd-time signatured, original, surpising and flawless. Enough said.

since odd time signatured is 3 words you might struggle to use that as an adjective mate!

Danny Carey tore his bicep this weekend. He had surgery today and came through it fine. The whole North American tour will be rescheduled.

Toolband said:
Tool Tour To Be Rescheduled

Los Angeles, CA - February 21, 2007 - Tool will be rescheduling their upcoming North American tour due to an injury in the band. Over the weekend, drummer Danny Carey tore a bicep. Danny underwent surgery TODAY and is recovering well. Rescheduled tour dates will be announced shortly.

(Note: Danny just got out of surgery and it went well)

Source: www.toolband.com

Last edited:
seriously, is this what this forum is here for? It's a discussion forum! I see you guys posting the same thing in every other post. If this isn't a discussion forum then take it down. Seriously, all you guys seem to get a kick out of telling people to use the search function. I'll say it again, Discussion forum! that's what it's for.
2) BALANCE AND VALUE.

Please think carefully before making a new thread. Read through exsisting threads in case one exsists already with similar subject matter. Too many threads actually can ruin a forum. Moderators may delete obvious repeats if the problem persists.
Also consider which forum your thread belongs to. Try to only post a thread in the 'General discussion' forum if it really doesn't fit anywhere else. Please give clear titles to your threads too. Vague mis-leading titles are really annoying and may be modified.

Re: danny carey

I love Danny Carey. He is one of the most amazing drummers out there. I can't explain how much he and his playing means to me... I had a priviledge of seeing him last summer with the Pigmy Love Circus and it was great. I was standing ten feet away from him and his kit. Wow. While he was playing, he looked straight at me for a few seconds and I just nodded my head... we both knew. It's a drummer thing guys, hehe.

love this drummer and also had the priviledge of seeing tool at the Big Day Out here in Australia.

genuine, skilled, creative + more = Danny Carey

He has an incredible sound, but I'd like to see him playing more beat in Tool.
At the moment I am learning to play Sober( two crazy fills and that calm place in the song where Danny plays with cymbals - these are difficult ones) and I must say that he is truly amazing drummer.

Did anyone know that danny has drums made out of recycled paistes?!? Hes playing them in this video. http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/dannycarey.html . He is such a good drummer. HES SO CREATIVE! I feel that tool has a very creative sound. Intolerance is a perfect song! His drums go perfect along with Keenans vocals and Chancellors rumbling bass and Jones SCREAMING guitar.

Danny Carey is my type of drummer- a creative genius. My drum teacher showed me how to play the 4 bars from the song Eulogy that start at about 6:30. It sounds somewhat easy, but when you see it written out... wow. I still can't play it as good as Danny does on the track. It has sort of a triplet feel with the hi-hat openings every 3rd hit, but it's actually sixteenth notes. So it takes 3 measures for the opening to be on beat 1 again. I'm sure that doesn't make any sense. Believe, it's cool though. Listen to it.

Saw Tool last night in St. Louis. That is the 3rd time I have seen Tool and that was without a doubt the best show so far and is in my top 10 shows of all time. We had seats in the suites and ran into Danny Carey's dad!! Some guys we were with saw this older gentleman wearing a Danny Carey shirt and stopped him to acknowledge the cool shirt and he said "well Danny is my son". He was a very nice guy, we didn't bother him for too long, just said nice to meet you and moved along but it was thrilling anyway. Oh and Danny was just wicked to watch.....what a talent!

Danny Carey is my type of drummer- a creative genius. My drum teacher showed me how to play the 4 bars from the song Eulogy that start at about 6:30. It sounds somewhat easy, but when you see it written out... wow. I still can't play it as good as Danny does on the track. It has sort of a triplet feel with the hi-hat openings every 3rd hit, but it's actually sixteenth notes. So it takes 3 measures for the opening to be on beat 1 again. I'm sure that doesn't make any sense. Believe, it's cool though. Listen to it.

I've always loved that part, it sounds really complicated at first listen.

Saw Tool last night in St. Louis. That is the 3rd time I have seen Tool and that was without a doubt the best show so far and is in my top 10 shows of all time. We had seats in the suites and ran into Danny Carey's dad!! Some guys we were with saw this older gentleman wearing a Danny Carey shirt and stopped him to acknowledge the cool shirt and he said "well Danny is my son". He was a very nice guy, we didn't bother him for too long, just said nice to meet you and moved along but it was thrilling anyway. Oh and Danny was just wicked to watch.....what a talent!

That is cool. I went and seen 'em in Winston Salem, it's the 4th time I have seen Tool. Those guys are in a league of their own. I for the life of me cannot figure out the part of 46 and 2. The guy is just amazing.

I saw TOOL the night after, in Ft. Wayne. He is a God. During Laterlis<sp the drummer from poop banana or whatever they're called came out and jammed with DC for about 7 minutes. They're is nothing like seeing that band playing that song for about 20 minutes. Just phenomenal! He nailed 46&2 that night also. O... and stinkfist is by far the heaviest song i've ever heard live.
P.S. During the drumming duel in Lat. MJK was playing rock/paper/sissors with the lead singer of The Banana Band. Kinda cool for some reason.

hey...

anybody know what drums danny is playing on at the end of "Disposition"/the beginning of "Reflection"? The wikipedia says that he was playing tabla, but I was just wondering about the drum that does the huge bass and changes pitch. If that was tabla, or something else....

Last edited:
Another great part that he plays is in the song Lateralus. It starts about 5 minutes into it with a little hi-hat part and then he incorporates god knows what with the kick and snare. Sounds polyrythmic but I don't know, Anyone?

Last edited:
hey...

anybody know what drums danny is playing on at the end of "Disposition"/the beginning of "Reflection"? The wikipedia says that he was playing tabla, but I was just wondering about the drum that does the huge bass and changes pitch. If that was tabla, or something else....

As far as I know, that could well be one of his Mandala pads. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they were capable of playing bent note stuff. Apologies if this is false.

Nebula, I can play the bit you're talking about (after months upon months of playing this song incorrectly) but I honestly wouldn't have the know-how to explain it. Hopefully one of the more knowledgable among us can help you out.

Another great part that he plays is in the song Lateralus. It starts about 5 minutes into it with a little hi-hat part and then he incorporates god knows what with the kick and snare. Sounds polyrythmic but I don't know, Anyone?

I don't think it's polyrythmic. Whenever I play that part, I really dont' count it. It's more of a feeling....the two on the hat, then another two...immediately after the second hit on the second time you hit the snare. THen throw in the bass....I don't know, I just don't count it.

@BreadMonkey

It very well could be the Mandala Pads. I'm not familiar at all with Mandala. Thanks for the reply.

because of Danny Carey, im proud to be from Kansas.....haha.....same way with wes scantlin.....but thats another topic

Back