Derek Roddy here!

Hello Derek!

Just wanted to drop in and say the following.
I never took much intrest in metal drumming untill I saw you play the MD 08.
Great playing!
Your feet go evil fast!
Thank for setting me onto a new drumming track and being a great inspiration.

Btw: loved the vid on youtube where you play superslow. thats a hard thing to do.

Hi guys.
Sorry I haven't been around much the last few months.........But, this was the reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmMNNWKRoNk&feature=sub

I've been very busy and just now getting my life back to normal...from editing video and audio for the last 4 months!!!

Just wanted to put up this press release and say hello to you all.

Hope all is good and drumming is progressing!

Cheers,
D.

A short teaser for Derek Roddy's instructional video "Blast Beats Evolved". For more information on this video, visit HudsonMusic.com!

With Blast Beats Evolved, extreme metal master Derek Roddy has created the definitive educational document on contemporary extreme drumming and modern metal styles. Drawing on his experience both as a world-reknowned metal drummer, his critically-acclaimed work outside the metal world, and his background in drum education and clinics, Derek provides the perfect balance of performance and instruction to help you advance your understanding and technical skills for this music.

Metal styles and techniques such as skank beats, traditional blast beats, bomb blasts, hammer blasts, freehand blasts, accent blasting, hand/foot combinations, rolls and fills are covered in extensive detail, with multiple examples for each topic.

Going beyond the beats and fills, Derek provides a complete conditioning program to improve your overall command of the drumkit. COvering areas that include balance exercises, a system for equaling the feet, improving your endurance and moving around the kit, Derek touches on areas that will assist all drummers - not just metal players.

This incredible package also contains 5 solo jams, 7 Serpents Rise songs, a detailed discussion of the equipment and setup used, interviews, and outtakes.

Blast Beats Evolved provides an unprecidented look at the state of modern metal drumming today, along with an extensive program to improve your personal approach to the drums.

Running Time - 2 hours 49 minutes

Hey Derek, I have never played metal or double bass but your drumming and music has helped inspire me a lot. I am always getting cool ideas from you and taking them in different directions - Well, like I said, I don't play blast beats or metal but I will definitely get your dvd!

Thanks man!

Can you or someone here help me with this?

I'm trying to figure out some of your playing on a Youtube Namm 2009 (friday) clip. The grooves are at 1:24 and then 1:47. I play some things close to this but like on the second one your right hand on the hat is hard to figure and could sure use some help with transcribing. Thanks.

Jiva

Hi Derek,

I have never seen you play before until I got my modern drummer 2008 dvd's and holy hell! Talk about inspirational, hope to hear more of ya man good stuff.

Your new DVD looks sick, and I really want to get your book soon, but I do have a question, what is the one album that made you want to drum?
Thanks in advanced

Cheers Everyone.
Hope you all dig the new DVD. Here are some short clips for you to check out.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdn8k7VzJUc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FUkU4nbg4k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18oaIznHoOI

Your new DVD looks sick, and I really want to get your book soon, but I do have a question, what is the one album that made you want to drum?
Thanks in advanced

Buddy Rich...West side story.
But, KISS alive1..... was what made me want to play in front of people.

Cheers,
D.

The DVD looks killer my friend! I hope you explain how lesser mortals can manage to keep that up short of bionic surgery! Good luck - although I am sure you will not need it!

Paul

I just got through watching the session (all eight parts) you and Eric Moore had in Moscow, man you cats were really cookin'! I really dug that cymbal you had mounted by your left bass, working it with the pedal. Very solid. Stay up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKZflTwLJ8k

Hello Derek!

Just wanted to drop in and say the following.
I never took much intrest in metal drumming untill I saw you play the MD 08.
Great playing!
Your feet go evil fast!
Thank for setting me onto a new drumming track and being a great inspiration.

Btw: loved the vid on youtube where you play superslow. thats a hard thing to do.

Rock on man....Thanks for the props.
Yeah, that 25 BPM stuff ...is no joke!
Haha.

D.

Hello Derek, I must say that I totally love watching and listening to you play and the great advice you give the young drummers out there. I watch the MD Festival performance all the time and always end up saying, "Man that is so awesome"! I was curious as to why on most of your youtube videos of you practicing, you have coated heads and live you have clear heads? Anyway, love your drumming and keep up the awesome, totally inspiring playing. Arthur

Cheers brother...
You know ....on the head thing....I just use what is available...in all the correct sizes. So, I don't really have a preference between coated and clears. As long as they match! Haha.

D.

Hey Derek i had never really listened to your drumming until recently and wow was i blown away. You are an extremely talented musician. But let me get straight to the point. I was wondering how you develop your hand and foot independence because you have a great ability to play complex rhythms with your hands on top of a killer double bass pattern

Ha...thanks.
Well, it's no secrete.....I got here by playing....A LOT! No specific exercises or anything like that....I just played a lot of drums....and kept an open mind about what I wanted to achieve with-in this style of music.

D.

I was fortuante enough to be at the 2008 Modern Drummer Fest in NY last year. Your performance blew my mind. I remember you performed first on day two and it was way too early for me, being that I was vacationing in NYC! My head was pounding after the first nights festivities but it was still great. I was also lucky enough to win one of the door prizes that included a Meinl 14 inch filter china that you signed! It says "Blast On!" It hangs on the wall in my practice room now. What a cool, and unexpected gift! You should of seen my face when they called my seat number! I was completely shocked!

I think I DID see your face when they called the number! Haha. That would have been a cool experience...nothing like an unsuspected gift.
Cheers for the props brother.

D.

Hey Derek,

i want to join in on the chorus and just say that I'm as far removed from metal music as a musician can possibly get, but I was completely blown away by your inventiveness, and the wonderfully unique & powerful voice you have on the drums. It was a real stand out performance and a real pleasure to watch!

Cheers...Nice to hear an open mind about this style of music....
instead of the close minded comments, I'm used to getting by "open minded musicians".

Cheers to ya!

D.

Hey Derek, I have never played metal or double bass but your drumming and music has helped inspire me a lot. I am always getting cool ideas from you and taking them in different directions - Well, like I said, I don't play blast beats or metal but I will definitely get your dvd!

Thanks man!

Can you or someone here help me with this?

I'm trying to figure out some of your playing on a Youtube Namm 2009 (friday) clip. The grooves are at 1:24 and then 1:47. I play some things close to this but like on the second one your right hand on the hat is hard to figure and could sure use some help with transcribing. Thanks.

Jiva

Hi Jiva...wish I could help you on that.....I haven't seen that vid in awhile and as much as I'd like to say "I knew what I was doing"....mostly, I have no idea! Haha.
Sometimes stuff just comes out....you know?
You peaked my curiosity....I have to go look now! Haha.

D.

The DVD looks killer my friend! I hope you explain how lesser mortals can manage to keep that up short of bionic surgery! Good luck - although I am sure you will not need it!

Paul

Paul...my brother...Thanks.
Call you later in the week. Almost finished with the Serpents Rise recording. I'll send ya out a copy when it's done.

D.

I just got through watching the session (all eight parts) you and Eric Moore had in Moscow, man you cats were really cookin'! I really dug that cymbal you had mounted by your left bass, working it with the pedal. Very solid. Stay up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKZflTwLJ8k

I had SO much fun with Eric....what a great player and dude.

Yeah, that was a 10 and 12 Gen X filter chinas....stacked on each other....gnarly huh?

D.

Back