Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Tyger,

First I just wanted to mention that there was an interview you did I had watched not too long ago where you said that musical drumming is what impressed you. You mentioned someone (who I don't recall at the moment) who had no chops but could play the drums musically.

I think you might be thinking of Steve Jansen, the drummer for Japan.

Yes exactly! forgot what his name was but I remembered something about Japan, Thanks!

Hey Gavin.
Very big fan from Ireland here and getting to meet you at your clinic in Xmusic in Dublin was amazing. I use the picture we took together for everything!
In the next month or so ill be doing an audition to get into a drum course in college. I have to perform a prepared piece and ive chosen The Sound of Muzak as my piece.
Do you have any tips for playing the song, or playing in general that might help my chances of getting in? I have a mainly metal background (fast double bass, blast beats etc) but for the past 3 years ive been focusing on styles like yours, Danny Carey from Tool's and generally innovative, tasteful drumming. In a way its great, seen as I can incorporate the metal style into this new style ive been developing but I just wanted to ask if you had any advice on the song or drumming in general.
The college is called Bimm by the way. Theres one in Dublin, Bristol and Brighton. If youre ever back in Ireland for a clinic or a Porcupine Tree gig and I manage to get into the college, it would be wonderful if you could stop by the college for an hour or two and teach us a few things!
Hope to here from you soon!
Jakk

Hi paulegavin

What do you think about the prospect of someone making a living as drummer despite the rapid changes that have happened to the music industry?

I think it's probably quite hard - but it always was to be honest. It's true that the kind of work opportunities that existed when I was starting out - aren't there any more - but there's music being made and played all over the place so people still need drummers!! I think being adaptable in your playing and expectations will be the key.

Hi Dustondrums

how you fix the pillow inside your bass drum to avoid moving of pillow away from bass drum head?

usually I don't. It's a very heavy pillow that (once I've adjusted it) doesn't move that much during a show. Other times (with lighter pillows) I have tied string across the pillow and attached it to the screws inside the shell that hold the lugs.

Hi drumbumhamza

I had a few questions regarding your Drum song and Cymbal song
1) What was composing process like ? As in did you first record the parts and lay them down during the editing phase or did you first conceptualize what the song would sound like and then record the individual pieces ?

It was a long process. First I made a demo of the Cymbal Song and wrote the parts as it went along - but to turn it into a 'composition' (that I thought had some musical shape to it) I had to spend a lot of time planning and arranging where and when all the ideas would come in and out. Then I went back and replayed all the parts whilst filming them (with 3 different coloured shirts). Then I wrote the Drum Song at 2/3 of the tempo of the Cymbal Song so when I finally edited the "Drum and Cymbal Song" they would play a rhythmic illusions against each other.

2) Did you place short video clips on a click or did you play through the song with each drum and cut out the video where you're not playing the drum ?

I only filmed the little sections where each part played.

3) Did you edit the video yourself or did you get someone else to do it ?

I filmed it and edited it myself.

Hi Tyger

First I just wanted to mention that there was an interview you did I had watched not too long ago where you said that musical drumming is what impressed you. You mentioned someone (who I don't recall at the moment) who had no chops but could play the drums musically.

Yes - Steve Jansen.

My question to you is: Why Sonor drums, what was it that drew your attention to them and have you considered other companies like DW, Gretsch? (I play a sonor 3007 by the way and would love to own a De-Lite or Pro-Lite kit later on)

I had always admired Sonor drums from when I first saw and heard them in the 1970's they were obviously very high quality - so in 2001 when I had the chance to endorse them I was very happy to do so.

Hi JakkP

In the next month or so ill be doing an audition to get into a drum course in college. I have to perform a prepared piece and ive chosen The Sound of Muzak as my piece.
Do you have any tips for playing the song, or playing in general that might help my chances of getting in?

I would suggest that you just concentrate on the timing - and try to make it feel as good (and relaxed) as you can. I'm sure the folks holding the audition will recognize that.

cheers
Gavin

Hi, Gavin!
Thanks a lot for your answer!
One more question: how do think, what position of body on drum stool is most comfortable for the best balance (especially for double pedal drumming style like yours)- on the edge or in the middle of the seat?
And what helps you to keep perfect balance?

Gavin,

I have lots of ideas that I think would sound good, but they always sound sloppy as I play them. As a result my playing overall seems to sound kind of sloppy when I record it sometimes. Any suggestions on what to do as I notice things like this to work them out of my playing?

Hi Gavin,

I am really excited to hear about the drum clinic / workshop in Hannover in april. May there be a chance of other dates in germany? Perhaps you know, Hannover is the hometown of the amazing Marco Minnemann!

And did anyone ever consider the possibility of a tour or concert event as a drummers equivalent to the guitarists "G3"? Three world class drummers / percussionists in one show, so to say a "D3". I would suggest a mixed lineup with maybe you, Trilok Gurtu and Johnny Raab. That would be fun!

And a friend of mine did a great drum solo, partly inspired by you, but also by drummers like Danny Carey, Mike Portnoy and Mike Mangini. Really worth listening to, maybe I can post a youtube-link so everyone can enjoy it.

Regards

Andy

Hey Gavin
Thanks for the reply!
I was wondering is there any chance of another clinic in Ireland? I would love to get a chance to meet you properly as you have been my biggest source of inspiration for drumming for years.
Also I was wondering, what were the difference in playing and writing for Steven Wilson's "Insurgence" album, compared to writing for Porcupine Tree? Were you given as much freedom as you would be given on a Porcupine Tree album?
My final question is would you recommend the coated Remo CS Ambassador for someone who wants very little overtones. Ive been striving to get a similar snare sound to your own for a while. Would removing some of the snare wires help in any way?
Finally I just got the date for my drum audition. Friday, the 13th of April. Wish me luck!
All the best,
Jakk

Hi Gavin, I had a look on this thread first but can't see the answer to my question , so here it is.
What is the roll/sticking you play on this version of 'The Chicken' at about 1'54"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igDSyZMy8_E

I looks like some kind of Swiss army Triplet or Blushda, but I can't work it out.

It sounds great and I wanna steal it!
All the best
Dom

Last edited:
Hi Gavin, I had a look on this thread first but can't see the answer to my question , so here it is.
What is the roll/sticking you play on this version of 'The Chicken' at about 1'54"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igDSyZMy8_E

I looks like some kind of Swiss army Triplet or Blushda, but I can't work it out.

It sounds great and I wanna steal it!
All the best
Dom

Hey Dom Chandler,

Here's a full transcription that I did:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/gavinharrisonlettermanchicken.html

Hope it helps!

Terry

Hi Dustondrums

One more question: how do think, what position of body on drum stool is most comfortable for the best balance (especially for double pedal drumming style like yours)- on the edge or in the middle of the seat? And what helps you to keep perfect balance?

I sit in the middle and the stool is pretty low. Sitting on the edge I usually associate with folks who have their stool very high. It has a lot to do with what makes you feel comfortable - how tall you are - and if you play heel up on the pedals.

Hi paulegavin

I have lots of ideas that I think would sound good, but they always sound sloppy as I play them. As a result my playing overall seems to sound kind of sloppy when I record it sometimes. Any suggestions on what to do as I notice things like this to work them out of my playing?

There's two things - first you need to really work on things lining up and get microscopic about it. Bass drum and hi hat, snare drum and hi hat, snare drum and bass drum. Second - REALLY try to listen to the timing details as you're playing - so there's not a surprise when you listen back to a recording.

Hi astroandy

I am really excited to hear about the drum clinic / workshop in Hannover in april. May there be a chance of other dates in germany?

None plans at the moment.

And did anyone ever consider the possibility of a tour or concert event as a drummers equivalent to the guitarists "G3"? Three world class drummers / percussionists in one show, so to say a "D3". I would suggest a mixed lineup with maybe you, Trilok Gurtu and Johnny Raab. That would be fun!

I haven't ever thought about that - but it sounds like it could be fun with those guys.

Hi JakkP

I was wondering is there any chance of another clinic in Ireland?

I'd love to - but a promoter or shop would need to organise it and invite me.

Also I was wondering, what were the difference in playing and writing for Steven Wilson's "Insurgence" album, compared to writing for Porcupine Tree? Were you given as much freedom as you would be given on a Porcupine Tree album?

Pretty much the same - but Steve had more definite ideas about what he wanted on his album.

My final question is would you recommend the coated Remo CS Ambassador for someone who wants very little overtones. Ive been striving to get a similar snare sound to your own for a while. Would removing some of the snare wires help in any way?

I really like that head - but you still might need some dampening if you want to reduce most of the overtones. I like having only 8 strands on the bottom of the snare - but if you do the same it won't guarantee that it will sound like mine. There's an enormous amount of factors with getting a snare drum sound - and that's before you start messing around with it inside a computer with eq, compression reverbs etc.

Finally I just got the date for my drum audition. Friday, the 13th of April. Wish me luck!

good luck

Thanks to Terry Branam for the transcription!!

OK here's some news: Myself and 05Ric band will be touring the UK this June with Justin Dwyer (gtr) and Tiago Coimbra (bass). We'll be joined by Tony Levin/Pat Mastelotto/Markus Reuter's Stickmen

June.3 Manchester Manchester Academy 3

June.4 Birmingham O2 Academy2 Birmingham

June.5 Cardiff Clwb Ifor Bach

June.6 Bristol O2 Academy2 Bristol

June.7 London O2 Academy Islington

Tickets are on sale
http://www.gigsandtours.com/Tour/GAVIN-HARRISON-S-BAND-PLUS-TONY-LEVIN

Please spread the word with any folks you know in the UK. Depending on the success of it we will try to play in other territories.

cheers
Gavin

OK here's some news: Myself and 05Ric band will be touring the UK this June with Justin Dwyer (gtr) and Tiago Coimbra (bass). We'll be joined by Tony Levin/Pat Mastelotto/Markus Reuter's Stickmen

June.3 Manchester Manchester Academy 3

June.4 Birmingham O2 Academy2 Birmingham

June.5 Cardiff Clwb Ifor Bach

June.6 Bristol O2 Academy2 Bristol

June.7 London O2 Academy Islington

Tickets are on sale
http://www.gigsandtours.com/Tour/GAVIN-HARRISON-S-BAND-PLUS-TONY-LEVIN

Please spread the word with any folks you know in the UK. Depending on the success of it we will try to play in other territories.

cheers
Gavin
Great news Gavin. I'll see you in Cardiff :)

Andy.

Hi Gavin,
Just wondering what your pedal tension settings are like?
And can you remember how long it took you to get up to a good standard on double bass?

Muchos gracias, huge fan btw. :)

(...) And can you remember how long it took you to get up to a good standard on double bass?
My guess is: 9 years, 3 months and 14 days. I could be wrong though ;-)

Ok, silly kidding aside...

Gavin, I admire you (in addition to being a stunning drummer/musician) taking the time to answer people's questions. That's ultra nice!

It was a long process. First I made a demo of the Cymbal Song and wrote the parts as it went along - but to turn it into a 'composition' (that I thought had some musical shape to it) I had to spend a lot of time planning and arranging where and when all the ideas would come in and out. Then I went back and replayed all the parts whilst filming them (with 3 different coloured shirts). Then I wrote the Drum Song at 2/3 of the tempo of the Cymbal Song so when I finally edited the "Drum and Cymbal Song" they would play a rhythmic illusions against each other.

That seems like an awful lot of work, then again that's why you are Gavin Harrison !

The reason I asked these questions was because I recently made a Drum Ensemble Video quite similar to yours (With 1/1000th the talent obviously). It's actually a tribute video to You, Danny Carey and Terry Bozzio.

The idea was to record a main melodic jungle groove composition that would build up in intensity till it reached the climax. This was the video in the center around which I added short clips of Xylophones, Cymbal Swells, Percussive Instruments and my Custom Chimes (I don't know if you remember but when we met in India, I'd shown you my Custom Bell Stand that I designed myself)

Recording took less than a day but editing took 2 weeks ! (Your execution probably took months right ?) The main composition was pre composed but the other smaller videos were arranged in the editing process.

I've attached a screen shot of the editing phase.

It would be very kind of you if you wish to see it. I've incorporated a few of your Rhythmic Illusions concepts (and given credit of course) in the video.

Regards,
Hamza.

41582210150614237099244.jpg

Hi Gavin,
I watched the "Chicken" performance (again) and always pick up something to use from you. I noticed you are playing the lick similar to the one you used on Anesthetize at the end around 3:48 - truely amazing.

One question; A while ago you told us how you placed the piece of wood in your bass drum to hold the pillow against the batter head and away from the resonant head. How do you fasten the wood into the bass drum, i.e., screws, glue etc.?

Thanks for the inspiration.

Back