Show your wood

Totally natural finished ebony stave, kindly made for me by Dean @ Guru Drumworks. It really is a monster rimshot backbeat machine, & the ebony grain is just beautiful in the flesh. Why would you ever stain something like this! Anyhow, I've never heard of a drum made in ebony, & it probably rivals DMC's ironwood for weight too, lol!
damn, off-the-chart beautiful. this whole thread makes me wonder if there are furniture guys out there thinking drummers are NUTS to be wailing on these pieces of art.

Here's the last Zebrawood snare I built.. Customer is happy with it..

picture.php

picture.php

No way! You MADE this?? Possibly the most beautiful snare I have ever seen.

Wow... Those are gorgeous Adam. Very cool. I have a Yamaha Oak, but it's Honey Amber and thus not appropriate for this thread ;) I love the oak grain.

Thanks, Oak kits sound and look beautiful.. in that order. Show off your wood... drums.

Whoa - those are not stained? Unbelievable! Natural wood rules. Well, sometimes. Stains and fades look nice too but sometimes the natural pattern of wood is very dramatic.

As far as I know, they are only lacquered. You can also see the grain on the inside of the shells, but the lacquer really brings out the grain. I developed a pet peeve for shells being a different color on the inside, ie. a nice veneer on the outside and a bright plain raw wood on the inside, so this kit is satisfying on so many levels.
Also, I didn't realize your kit wasn't stained, that's pretty amazing! Nothing like a dense wood kit.

Now that's probably one of the most striking grained oak kits I've ever seen, Stunning! Must be a faster growing variety like red oak or similar. Love it!

Thanks man!

Thanks guys!

Latz, that is an awesome looking drum... How did you get the grains to turn on those segments? Were they steam bent then dried or what? Very creative.

That is the natural grain pattern, the blocks may have been flipped when I glued it together, but the rest is all natural..

No way! You MADE this?? Possibly the most beautiful snare I have ever seen.

DMC, Thanks, that is a big compliment. I have been making drums since '95, a few famous clients and more not so famous. Check out my snare collection in my sig, I made all of the ones with tube lugs. Even manufactured the lugs way back when...

Stunning use of segmented design! I love the wave effect of the grain curves. Very original, very sexy.

KIS, thanks. These pics are from the customer. When I saw them I told him he could have at least wiped the finger prints off. He laughed and replied, "Fingerprints!?! That's drool my friend... " So I guess I can't complain...

My hybrid, formerly a 5 1/2 inch birdseye radio king that sounded bad, and a 1920's solid maple ludwig, I found the shell with no hardware, well a couple tube lugs, originally a 6 lugger.
Originally built in 1980, this is the latest rebuild, I have owned about 130 snares and this is still the best of the best.

nw0weo.jpg

30xa1iu.jpg

another hybrid. I just had extra chunks. I always used this one to check my router depth when doing bearing edges on other projects, but now I may finish it.
2vip1s3.jpg

Put some birdseye veneer on it
fn5zd0.jpg

Needs quite a lot more work on the finishing, and could do with nicer lugs - but it's not bad for a summer project conversion!

Attachments

• P7220036.jpg
    P7220036.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 3,848
HOLY COW! Awesome. So beautiful. You dad made these???

Who is you dad, God?

Yeah, he is God. No he's a carpenter, work in a factory which makes office furniture. This is just a little hobby of his, making instruments. He has also made a violin and he wants to make a double bass.

Here is his most recent drum build:

IMG_9188.jpg

IMG_9182-885f976e9fe249d3fd6c0cdec051e45e.JPG

More drums at the link below.

After making snares for customers - I made myself one to keep (finally).

Bubinga Hoops, Padauk Shell. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Paduak Bubinga Stave Snare - 1small.jpg
    Paduak Bubinga Stave Snare - 1small.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 3,749
  • Paduak Bubinga Stave Snare - 2small.jpg
    Paduak Bubinga Stave Snare - 2small.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 3,678
  • Paduak Bubinga Stave Snare - 3small.jpg
    Paduak Bubinga Stave Snare - 3small.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 3,643
  • Paduak Bubinga Stave Snare - 4small.jpg
    Paduak Bubinga Stave Snare - 4small.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 3,714
  • Paduak Bubinga Stave Snare - 5small.jpg
    Paduak Bubinga Stave Snare - 5small.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 3,645
  • Paduak Bubinga Stave Snare - 6small.jpg
    Paduak Bubinga Stave Snare - 6small.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 3,689
  • Paduak Bubinga Stave Snare - 7small.jpg
    Paduak Bubinga Stave Snare - 7small.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 3,682
  • Paduak Bubinga Stave Snare - 8small.jpg
    Paduak Bubinga Stave Snare - 8small.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 3,624
Thanks! It's not my main gigging snare right now, but it is one of my "go to" snares. Actually, this is my recent favourite, & right for this thread too. Totally natural finished ebony stave, kindly made for me by Dean @ Guru Drumworks. It really is a monster rimshot backbeat machine, & the ebony grain is just beautiful in the flesh. Why would you ever stain something like this! Anyhow, I've never heard of a drum made in ebony, & it probably rivals DMC's ironwood for weight too, lol!

Wow, that is one serious drum. Ironwood is denser, but this shell is much thicker and my ironwood snare is 13 by 4. This snare is a monster! The density of ebony means this drum will have more crack than a plumber's butt, but the stave construction/aligned grain means it will be more sensitive than a gay men's support group.

Here's mine. My dad made it, the shells are Oak and they sound so good!

IMG_9400.jpg

IMG_9405.jpg

IMG_9392.jpg

IMG_9411.jpg
Just one of the cleanest & most beautiful kits I've seen in a long time. Huge kudos to your dad for building it.

The density of ebony means this drum will have more crack than a plumber's butt, but the stave construction/aligned grain means it will be more sensitive than a gay men's support group.
Hahahaha, great analogies! Yes, it makes my guitarist wince, job done!!!!!

Back