Are good thrones recommended?

Emmaticus00

So my throne is a pancake. Its about an inch thick. So my question is: the money that I'm potentionally going to get from Christmas should part of that go to a brand new thick throne? And do good thrones really matter?

IMO, the throne is hugely important. I've gone through a few to find what seems to work best...I've learned that the seat style thrones like RnS are so comfortable but my right leg doesn't like the extra seat under it....so for my purposes a good sturdy standard style dw throne has proved to be quite good.

So my throne is a pancake. Its about an inch thick. So my question is: the money that I'm potentionally going to get from Christmas should part of that go to a brand new thick throne? And do good thrones really matter?

Yes! Very important. Even just for regular practice. I use a Pearl Roadster throne. It has a very nice thick pad and even better it has a gas shock in it:

http://pearldrum.com/products/hardware/drum-thrones/d-1000spn/

I gigged this thing over this past summer and wow what a difference! For long two hour sets I felt a lot less tired and strained. For home practice use I will also be getting a throne with a nice back rest.

You can buy as many drum widgets as you want; you only have one you! Protect your best investment.

Yes definitely. If you aren't comfortable or properly supported by your throne, it will for sure effect your playing. Since everyone is different, I can't suggest what type of throne. For example, I like a round seat. Bicycle style seats aren't comfy for me. Others will tell you the opposite. Some like a cushy seat, others like a firm seat. Just like everything else drumming, your throne will be user subjective.

Yes, yes, yes ,yes ,yes, and YES! best investment I ever made. Made the difference between playing for 30 minutes or 3 hours and with back pain or without. I don't know your age but it's especially important as you get older. I personally don't use one with a back rest but several people swear by them. I recommend the Roc and Soc hydraulic. I spent about $160 if I remember correctly. Just do it!

It is the most important part of your kit.

Iff your butt an back hurt, you wont play well,

Yep! You're the heaviest part of the kit. You need good support. Fortunately you no longer have to spend a fortune for a good solid throne. But stay in that $100 range with the threaded spindle adjustment for height.

At one time I was in the hospital for several months. One of my incentives for getting out was to play again. I knew if I was ever to do that I would have to have a comfortable seat. When I came back to playing I bought a good Gibraltar throne with a back rest. If I am going to play for over 30 minutes I always use it (not so much for shorter stints) and it has made a big difference. OK, rant over. We now return you to your regular thread.

It is the most important part of your kit.

this.

go to a shop, try them all, find the sturdiest and/or the one that matches your butt the best (sorry) and pay without even looking at the price.
you will probably never have to replace it and you're gonna love sitting to play the drums even more

Yep! You're the heaviest part of the kit. You need good support.

I never heard it put quite like that before, but so very true. Be good to your ass. I'm good to my ass. Your ass is your friend lol, treat it nicely.

I'd say YES!
I went from a cheapo to a Carmichael - now that's an upgrade ;-)
That new throne might well be my last one for quite some time.

I'd say YES!
I went from a cheapo to a Carmichael - now that's an upgrade ;-)
That new throne might well be my last one for quite some time.

I'd say go Carmichael first and just bypass all the other options. I went from a pancake, to a mid-range, to a 1st Chair, but I think the Carmichael is kind of a trump card.

I have the Yamaha DS-800 something. Great seat. Traditional round stool design. Not going to break the bank compared to some of the other high end lines.

Yes! Very important. Even just for regular practice. I use a Pearl Roadster throne. It has a very nice thick pad and even better it has a gas shock in it:

http://pearldrum.com/products/hardware/drum-thrones/d-1000spn/

I gigged this thing over this past summer and wow what a difference! For long two hour sets I felt a lot less tired and strained. For home practice use I will also be getting a throne with a nice back rest.

You can buy as many drum widgets as you want; you only have one you! Protect your best investment.

I need a backrest for my Roadster D2000BR. Is it still available?

Also, I've found the 'taint/coccyx' cutout on my throne is essential for 4 hour gigs.

WOW, did a gig w/o my CHARMICHALE throne on wednesday, used a ROC N SOC, couldn't believe the difference.

Im burned into the CHARMICHALE and after sitting for 2.5 hrs on the ROC my back was sore. I noticed the foam had bottomed out and I was missing the firm support of the CHARMICHALE.

The ROC was motorcycle style top, a POC by comparison IMO...glad found CARMICHALE, not looking FWD to gigging w/o it ever again, and glad Im no longer serving sentence to the discomfort of traditional style drum seating.

I have a Tama 1st chair. It's nice. I haven't played super long gigs, but it is quite sturdy as I played weekly at a church where I had to transport my kit in and out of a rented space every Sunday for over a year.

It is not a good feeling to feel like a pegboy after playing drums.

My butt loves the feeling of a roc n soc.

Back