Cymbal stands?

(Future)DWdrummer

What are you guys' thoughts on cymbal stands (particularly boom stands)?.. My crappy little SP Straight stand finally broke on me the other day so its a good excuse for me to get a higher quality stand and make the switch to a boom stand for my 16in crash... Any thoughts on the best brand to get a solid double braced boom stand? Preferably something under a hundred bucks..

What are you guys' thoughts on cymbal stands (particularly boom stands)?.. My crappy little SP Straight stand finally broke on me the other day so its a good excuse for me to get a higher quality stand and make the switch to a boom stand for my 16in crash... Any thoughts on the best brand to get a solid double braced boom stand? Preferably something under a hundred bucks..

DW makes the best, most stable, and long-lasting hardware. I'd say the DW3000 is an excellent stand for the money. I mount a 22" Sabian HH Rock Ride (very heavy) and some auxilary hats off this stand. It's always been very stable.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/DW-3000-Series-Boom-Cymbal-Stand-105809172-i1524402.gc

I have been gigging the same Dixon boom stands for about 15 years now and one of them has had a 14 and a 16 tom plus a 19 crash/ride and 10 splash mounted on it and the other has has a 10 and 12 tom plus an 18 rock crash and a 12 splash and both are still going strong. Dixon is made by the same company that supplies Gibraltar, Wordmax and a few other including some Ludwig stuff but Dixon seems to have a bit better pricing.

DW, Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, those would be the biggies I go to first. I tried the Sound Percussion specials once and the height adjustments stripped out on me (very strange!). I alternate between Pearl and Tama stuff and years ago I used Yamaha and DW and never had a problem with those brands.

Pearl 900 series is great. It's not expensive, it's very well built, and has lots of nice features, i.e., gearless tilters and memory locks on the B-900 boom stand.

yes! they are an amazing value. light and strong. our lead "singer" has fallen on mine repeatedly, and it's holding up quite nicely. very secure and easy to adjust. and i love the retractable boom arm.

Those SP boom stands that are $30 on MF are actually pretty decent. I have a bunch of them. Can't beat them for the price.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/sound-percussion-sp880bs-double-braced-boom-stand

Yeah, these are pretty solid. I just picked up a pair on sale for a side project. They slide into the main post to convert to a straight stand.

If you're done with SP stands though - DW, Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, Gibraltar make some rugged double braced stands with memory locks.

I use DW hardware, but the others above are excellent choices as well.

I seem to like Tama and Yamaha for some reason. Gibraltar is good too. Peace and goodwill.

I have been gigging the same Dixon boom stands for about 15 years now and one of them has had a 14 and a 16 tom plus a 19 crash/ride and 10 splash mounted on it and the other has has a 10 and 12 tom plus an 18 rock crash and a 12 splash and both are still going strong. Dixon is made by the same company that supplies Gibraltar, Wordmax and a few other including some Ludwig stuff but Dixon seems to have a bit better pricing.

tard, Do you use the light, medium or heavy Dixon boom stands?

I like Yamaha and DW hardware. I've had the same Yamaha hardware on my kit for 25 years and it still functions flawlessly!! I will say that in many cases double braced hardware is not necessary, usually just adds weight to carry around especially when it comes to cymbal stands.

I don't think you could buy a bad cymbal stand these days.

As said, most of them are made by the same company.

I'm using my late 90's sonor hardware for gigs and I'm realizing why ppl complain about weight, if I was buying stuff that I intended to carry and transport I'd be aiming for lightweight stuff.

$30 for a boom stand is pretty amazing!

I don't think you could buy a bad cymbal stand these days.

As said, most of them are made by the same company.

I'm using my late 90's sonor hardware for gigs and I'm realizing why ppl complain about weight, if I was buying stuff that I intended to carry and transport I'd be aiming for lightweight stuff.

$30 for a boom stand is pretty amazing!

^
Sale ends 10/31/12. No memory locks, but can't beat the price.

If you're going to limit the times that you collapse your stands, memory locks aren't really needed, but if you regularly gig, they sure come in handy.

Dennis

Pearl 900 series is great. It's not expensive, it's very well built, and has lots of nice features, i.e., gearless tilters and memory locks on the B-900 boom stand.

Second this. Every stand i have on my kit is the B-900. Excellent stands and will not break the bank. Obviousely about anything from DW is really good and i have used Yamaha in the past and was very pleased with them as well.

All Yamaha stands for me - 700 series. I figure if it's good enough for Gadd... it's good enough for me.

Back