Remo coated emperor doesn't feel rite.

LedFoot65

Head Questions with no end...
I just put a coated emperor on my 10in tom. When I tried to tune it low the head flopped out. When I brought the tension up it sounded to bright and felt hard. There seems too be no happy medium. Has anybody else had a similar experience ? Thanks

When you placed the head on the hoop, did you crack it * in a bit?
* (sound given after putting some pressure with lower palm of the hand, on the head). Then try to tune it again...Good luck mate!

Yes. Not that I ever use the thing, but I've experienced the same issues with my 10" tom. The Emp was way too quick to choke out on my drum. I've found an Ambassador a better choice for mine.....just seems to offer more tuning options on the smaller tom, I feel.

Last edited:
I have a coated vintage emp on my 10" I keep in my shed ..Iam new to tunning but i find it hard to satisfy.

I just put a coated emperor on my 10in tom. When I tried to tune it low the head flopped out. When I brought the tension up it sounded to bright and felt hard. There seems too be no happy medium. Has anybody else had a similar experience ? Thanks

That sounds to me as if the head is not in tune with itself in regards to the low tuning, and you would get a similar result at higher tension as well.

I've had that happen to me in the past but I now understand better what to listen for at each lug.

Those 10" heads can be tricky to tune if you're not listening careful.

presumably you 'seated' the head, by pushign down ahrd with your plam after the first tigheting to hear a crack. Remo are unlike other heads this way.

presumably you 'seated' the head, by pushign down ahrd with your plam after the first tigheting to hear a crack. Remo are unlike other heads this way.

I thought Remo only recommends doing that to their vintage heads now. Evans doesnt recommend it anymore and its an absolute no no with Aquarian heads.

When you replaced your batter heads, did you also re-tune the resonant heads? If not, I would suggest trying that.

Dennis

I have used the Evans G2 many times on 10" toms and have had no problem whatsoever. Peace and goodwill.

Thanks guys. I seated the head and retuned the reso head. I'm gonna try it again I know Remo has had some QC issues. If I can't get were I want it I'm gonna try a coated g2. Thanks for all the replies.

There is no reason at all to do this. The drum will seat itself much more cleanly on its own once it is tensioned on the drum.

I do it with my heads when they are behaving funny, always seems to help. I dunno, just me maybe.

I seat the heads by making sure all the lugs are even and then tuning the drum SLIGHTLY higher than I would normally tune it. Then I leave it there for an hour or two. After that I detune it and start over. Peace and goodwill.

Back