2010 Football World Cup-South Africa

Re: 2010 World Cup-South Africa

Poor Green, I felt so bad for him ( Even though he's English.. ) .
A micro second of distraction- not seeing the ball into his hand- might cost him a career built on years of sacrifice.

Poor Green, I felt so bad for him ( Even though he's English.. ) .
A micro second of distraction- not seeing the ball into his hand- might cost him a career built on years of sacrifice.

Yes, the pressure is intense at the top. I guess if you were drumming with Steely Dan you wouldn't survive doing a major blunder at a gig either. That's why they pay them the big bucks :)

Same thing happened with an Oz goalie in the last WC - if not for a very late goal he would have lost a match for us with a blunder. He looked stiff and no doubt it was the pressure of the occasion. He never played for Oz again ... his howler is at 1:20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBBo182Wjyc ... pretty similar to Robert Green's

Just want to do the America thing for a brief second, while I hope everyone understands that I really am getting into this world cup deal. It IS very entertaining and never had any idea how much went into it.

But I now understand why the NFL has banned end zone celebrations.

Everybody in this sport who scores a goal dances around in an absurdly uncool preening fashion, while entire teams cry for a single score as if every one of their wives just had a baby.

US scores against England. They sort of look at each like OK cool while coach pumps one fist in the air one time. Within 10 seconds everyone is back to business.

These strikers especially moan and complain as if they're hurt after every minor inadvertent trip.

On the other hand, American goalie is flagrantly stabbed in the chest by a set of spikes. People try to get him off the field. He replies by growling like a caged animal, puts on 5 minutes of the mean face- and suddenly he's good to go.

Americans appreciate this, meaning I will now officially try to learn enough about this sport to intelligently pull for these guys.

US scores against England. They sort of look at each like OK cool while coach pumps one fist in the air one time. Within 10 seconds everyone is back to business.

Well, the pic on the cover of the New York Post suggests otherwise; the US were more than a little excited, anyone would've thought they'd scored on their own merit, rather than by a horrendous England mistake ;)

I'm hoping the standard picks up, so far the quality of the matches has been crap.

Nederland: 2 / 0: Denmark

Japan: 1 / 0: Cameroon
I'm disappointed with Cameroon's defeat, "The untameable lions, were tamed."

Just a quick lesson for the Yanks.

When you yanks say "we are playing the Brits" or "the British are going to win the world cup" etc.. you are technically wrong.

Britian, is made up of four countries, England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

When you say we are playing the Brits, you are actually reffering to all four countrys playing on the same pitch at the same time.

We are English, and we are an English team, we are our own country, the other three countrys that make up britain, did not qualify for the world cup, only England. which is a bit of a shame really, as if there is one country we would rather beat other than the USA it is Scotland, oh yer.

It was a draw. Then, 5 sterling pounds to the charity box for cancer victims - that's fair!

Tell you what Gunters, if England LOOSE to the yanks on Saturday, hand on hart i will put £10 into a charity box for cancer victims.

.......and Scotland would rather beat England.....;-) have a good day mate!

as if there is one country we would rather beat other than the USA it is Scotland, oh yer.

Just a quick lesson for the Yanks.

When you yanks say "we are playing the Brits" or "the British are going to win the world cup" etc.. you are technically wrong.

Britian, is made up of four countries, England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

When you say we are playing the Brits, you are actually reffering to all four countrys playing on the same pitch at the same time.

We are English, and we are an English team, we are our own country, the other three countrys that make up britain, did not qualify for the world cup, only England. which is a bit of a shame really, as if there is one country we would rather beat other than the USA it is Scotland, oh yer.

But, But, But. Since England is the only team to qualify out of the four British teams, it means that Britain is represented, so in saying we are playing the Brits is not totally wrong. We aren't playing the British Isles, but we are playing the team that represents Britain or is from Britain.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales) and Northern Ireland.

Soccer is such a snooze fest to watch I dont think it will ever catch on in america. I will give the world cup credit for making it a true world competition though. I don't know why we call our baseball championship the world series when it's just us and Canada?

It has caught on but not in the numbers of the other major sports, which all have their own seasons. Some of them overlap, but it's still baseball in the summer, football in the winter, and then the indoor sports of basketball and ice hockey. The MSL is doing OK in some areas, not so good in others. Tampa just got its Rowdies back, but they will have tp compete with football and baseball which are ingrained in our society. It won't ever be number one like Europe but there are still a lot of fans. We, the Yanks are still tying to get the World Cup as the host nation again and we will soon.

oooh, orgoglio Italiano is takin some punizione at the hands of lowly Paraguay...ouch!

But, But, But. Since England is the only team to qualify out of the four British teams, it means that Britain is represented, so in saying we are playing the Brits is not totally wrong. We aren't playing the British Isles, but we are playing the team that represents Britain or is from Britain.

Yes Mr, Williams, £5.00 sterling will be going to the Marie Curie trust, a service that looks after teminally ill Cancer suffers last days in there own homes. Rasied £445.00 pounds for them recently by swimming 4KM in 1 hour 30Mins.

Anyway back to it. Now i dare you to go into any pub in Scotland or Wales and make that remark that you quoted, i would garrentee, you would not come out as you went in. And seriusly, i am not joking when i say that, feelings really do run that high. between the british nations.

Its like me saying, i went to Cananda, that is in North Amercia, so all Yanks must be like them Canadians, Well you are ar'nt you, all the same, you all sound the same, drive the same cars, play the same spots, HELL all americans must have orginated from Canada.

Anyways, someone said why do we get all excited and of our trollys from scoring one goal, Well its like Christmas, if you had Christmas every month, you would soon loose the euthisiasium for it, but coming only once a year you get excited as it comes around. So when you score your only goal in 90 miniutes, all that excitmet comes out in one go, and its christmas all over again, now times that by 40,000 surporrters in the ground and that is alot of tostesterrome flowing around.

Ever seen the film Braveheart, well in the last 400 years not much has changed.

The Scots, would rather surpport their worst enermy rather than surpport England, same is said for the Welsh as well.

"We are British, by nation, but English by the grace of God".

The Pizza men have just got a goal back, its now 1-1

Back