Cobra Coils

saturnm91

The springs on my IC's are as tight as they go but i wouldnt mind having them just that little bit tighter, so would it actually be worth investing in a set of these new cobra coils to get my foot board to bounce back even quicker or would they really not help me at all?

The springs on my IC's are as tight as they go but i wouldnt mind having them just that little bit tighter, so would it actually be worth investing in a set of these new cobra coils to get my foot board to bounce back even quicker or would they really not help me at all?

Well that is what the Cobra coil is designed for so i would have thought so yes. However it is a lot of money to invest on a new pedal just for springs. Why don't you invest in some longer springs then you can tighten them even more!

Are your Cobra pedals designed to be fitted with the Cobra Coils? If they are, the Coils cost about $18 USD per coil. If your pedals don't have the slot at the bottom of the footboard, your going to need new pedals and the newer generation will already have the Cobra Coils installed. The coils will give you a bit more flexibility being able to set the tension of the beater and the foot board rebound sort of independently. I have a pair of Iron Cobra double pedals without the coils and also a single IC with the coils. I have the coils on mine set rather soft, but they're adjustable from very little attack to heavier attack, depending on what you need.

Here's some photos I shot of the coil when this topic came up on another forum.

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0021-1.jpg

Dennis

Not trying to hijack the thread, but as a starting point, which is better; loose or tight springs?

No setting is correct for everyone, you have to adjust them to your personal needs. I usually have mine fairly loose and feel that I have more control over the pedal, but then I'm not pushing 250 BPM either, at least not all the time, lol. There are a lot of non personal things that will will influence the tension of the pedal including your bass drum head tension, beater type and beater position. Not to let out sitting position, including the heigth of your drum throne. Wait, I'll think of some others.... Oh, heal up or heal down. Give me a minute, you get what I mean.

Experiment.
Dennis

I wonder if there is another setting on the pedal that needs adjustment to get what you want rather than just spring tension?

Davo

Beater angle adjustment changes the perceived spring tension. The farther back from the head the beaters are, the heavier the springs will feel.

Are your Cobra pedals designed to be fitted with the Cobra Coils? If they are, the Coils cost about $18 USD per coil. If your pedals don't have the slot at the bottom of the footboard, your going to need new pedals and the newer generation will already have the Cobra Coils installed. The coils will give you a bit more flexibility being able to set the tension of the beater and the foot board rebound sort of independently. I have a pair of Iron Cobra double pedals without the coils and also a single IC with the coils. I have the coils on mine set rather soft, but they're adjustable from very little attack to heavier attack, depending on what you need.

Dennis
Yeh there only like 8 months old, and cheers for the advice!

hey i have a question, it's a little of the theme but it has to do with the iron cobras, i'm looking to buy an iron cobra twin pedal for Christmas, but i was looking in guitar center and music 123 and it said iron cobra twin pedal closeout, do you guys think the closeout means that a newer version is coming out just like the iron cobra jr. because it has been a little over a year since the last ic version came out, ?maybe a newer version is coming out?

my drum teacher uses nothing but iron cobras,and he baught one with a coil,told me it didnt make a diffrence,waste of 30 bucks

Back