second set of hi-hats (X-hat configuration)

formula428

As posted on another non-exclusive drum forum...

A local music store has cymbals at cost (limited selection, of course), because they want to discontinue their drum lines. I was in the store several months ago, and saw 14" Zildjian hats (new beats or something) for $175 or something like that. I know for a fact, an A Custom 20" ride was $150, brand new.

My question is, since these prices are so good, and I acquired a Sonor X-hat setup a month or so ago, what is a good "secondary" set of hats? I have 14" New Beat hats as my primary. I was thinking something like 13" or even 12" hats (if the store carries them). Just curious what hats YOU would buy, if you could find them at cost and would contrast (or compliment) with the current 14" new beats I have.

12" Special Recording Hats by Zildjian are amazing. I believe they are the only 12" hats available. Paiste might make a rig like that, but I'm not sure. If that doesn't do it, mix and match splashes. It's really fun to try in a store. Find a hi-hat stand, grab a lighter splash that you might want to keep on the clutch, (swapping them is the worst part), and swap heavier splashes as the bottom. Find the heaviest bottom you can. Today I experimented at work, but the only heavy splash we really had was a Meinl Soundcaster. But that store might have a better selection.

I would recommend going for something bright and chicky if it's going to always be closed, but if you're going to be using a remote pedal and operating those hats too, then actual hats might be the better option.

Hope I could help.

My x-hats, when I used them, are always Zildjian Z 14" Dyno Beats.

Because they do contrast my normal 14" Zildjian hi-hats (New beat top with Quick beat bottom).

And for hard rock, metal, and such, the dyno beats give a nice crunchy sound (think Metallica) Although they would be a bit out of place for non-hard rock gigs, but in such situations, I leave the x-hats at home anyway.

Zildjian makes (made?) a series call trash hats that sounded pretty cool, and gave a lot of contrast to normal hi-hats. Steve Smith used them on Journey's "Trial By Fire" album, and they sounded great.

I went with a trash hat setup with my x-hat, positioned right above the hi-hat. I married a 14" Mienl filter china on the bottom to a 13" sabian AA hi-hat bottom on the top and play it closed but not tight.
~/jt

Back