Full Circle on Heads

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Well I have given enough heads time and trial on my Renowns and have come back to the heads I first bought when I got the drums. Evans G2 coated batters I have remained with the G1 Clear Resonators since day one. I went from G2's to Fiberskyns , to Evans EC2 SSTs. The Fiberskys were nice looking, retro effect, but sounded like hard plastic after a short bit of time. I liked the science behind the SST's in the fact that they had different sized control rings for each size head unlike Pinstripes which I think are the same size on all. They just are warm enough for me. Easy to tune and to tune within each other, but just not to my liking. So I am back to the G2's with coated finish. Also after many years and many snares using the Evans Genera HD Dry for batter, which is one ply of 7mm and one of 5mm with a control ring underneath. I am now using an Evans Genera ST Dry. (super tough) This head is coated and has two 7.5 millimeter plies, no control ring, and small holes in the head to dampen ring. I have included a sound file of the snare. I am using an inexpensive PDP Brass snare, and Regal Tip Jazz E series sticks with nylon tips, with the ST head. The G2 set for my toms are back ordered til 12/14 then all will be back to normal. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• STE-005.mp3
    973.5 KB · Views: 102
I can relate to your story about going full circle. Basically anything that is built with muffling didn't make the cut for me, save for the 2 ply heads.

The Genera ST dry head you mentioned...sounds like a coated emporer w/ little pinpricks in it.

I wanted a two ply with durability and this is it with 1.5 mm more of bangability.

I too have a set of Renown's...9x12 - 16x16 - 20x22 - 6.5x14 in Slate Silver Sparkle...Bought them almost 2 years ago and am still amazed at the steal I got with this kit...For sound that is...Amazing...I've tried various heads and currently I've got Remo Black X (Snare) - Remo Black Suede Emporer on both Toms and Aquarian SK I with Gretsch Reso Head...I went with the Black heads because of the shell color hoping it would do the trick...I'm very pleased with the sound I'm getting but if I was to switch heads on my Renown's I would go back to the Evans heads that the kit came with...I tried the Evans Genera GPlus on the toms and didn't like what I heard...I did like the Remo Fibreskyn on the snare...With these Black Remo's the only muffling I'm using is 1 small piece of Moon Gel on my snare...When I bought this kit I was just getting back into drumming after 20 years without a kit (Children first) and ran into the Renown's at Drum Shop...I figured couldn't really go wrong with Gretsch but I am amazed at the "Pro levelness" of this kit all the way around...Paid $1,200 (Canada) and will never part with these shells...Thanks Gretsch...

Evans G2's are great, i love em too, but i recently started using the Evans EC2's, they give me a similar sound to the G2's but to me seem to be a bit more versatile and are also very easy to tune i can get lots of cool sounds outta these

I'd definetely reccommend these to any Evans fans out there.

I'm with ya GD. I have tried almost every possible head combo and always come back to a G2/G1 or Emp/Amb, clear though. I also like Vintage Ambs', a great coated, dual ply head with some single ply characteristics. I like the PS3 for it's single ply, high tunability and focused sound. But again the G2/G1 is a great combo. Recently I have favored a Evans Power Center Reverse Dot over a Genera Dry, more resonance.

Back