What Do You Tune First? Batter or Reso?

At this point with all of the heads that I have gone through I tune the bottom head to a general pitch (whatever it starts to resonate at) and then put on and tune the batter. Since I am now back to tuning my heads apart (reso is a 4th higher) I can't tune the reso until I know where I want the batter is at. Actually either way I still put the reso on first. Plus whatever way you do it you still have to fine tune it afterwards so it really doesnt matter but I say reso first.

I happen to do the exact same. Although I put the batter head on first, I actually tune the reso head first. Even the batter head before tuning should sound okay. Then I obviously tune the batter head, but slightly lower than the reso. Likewise you can tune the reso head even higher later. All of my tuning in that regard I learned in that first tama rockstar set up video with Mike Portnoy. It helped me a lot because I watched that video my first year of playing drums. Now I'm on my fourth kit and I've only ever had a few tuning problems since that video.

reso first, then batter, then tweak them in the same order... not sure if this is right or wrong, but it seems to work.

If you are going through ranges then you tune them consecutively, 1/4 turn flip over 1/4 turn. How does it sound? no tone. flip over. another 1/4 turn flip over 1/4 turn. How does it sound? how does the batter feel? good, good. fine tune batter. Hows the sustain? loving it? fine tune reso.
continue on for higher pitches.

If you tune to notes then it does not matter.
But if you always tune to the same note you will know how much you have to turn each lug to get you in the general vicinity, when your there for batter and reso then fine tune.

I'm a reso first man myself. I like to keep the resos on all of my toms at the same tension. I use a Drum Dial tuner for that and I fine tune the bottom heads with a pencil eraser afterwards. The Drum Dial only gets them close The pencil eraser gets them perfect. That gives me a common denominator so to speak. Once my resos are set I can do what I want with the top. I start by setting all of the batters on my toms to the same tension (Slightly tighter than the bottoms) and I fine tune from there just like I did the bottoms. I put new batter heads on three of my toms yesterday. I was tuned and playing in less than an hour using my above method.

Last edited:
Reso First. I get it where I want it then spend my time with the batter doing a lot of tweaking. Not often do I have to go back and adjust the reso.

Back