Show your wood

My recently received Antoni Drums snare.
Its made of Elm, hollow trunk, one piece.
14x6,5.
Throwoff is Antonio in Alu,

Antonio%25206.jpg

Antonio%25209.jpg

Antonio%25208.jpg

Antonio%252010.jpg

Other than the hideous lugs, awesome looking snare.

Sonor uses Alpi wood veneer, which is indeed dyed. AlpiVeneer
Yes, I know, but unfortunately they actually don't tell what they did with every wood,
nor what kind of wood they use.

Generally I guess there's more manipulated wood finishes that are labelled natural today
than we might think. Which is kind of sad, but in the case of my veneer, or also veneers
like walnut burst, it's at least more obvious in the first place.

Here's the custom drum i got Allan over at Disturbance Drums to make for me:

324668_338660186154420_160576133962827_1161298_1150648906_o.jpg

its a 14x6.5" oak stave shell, trick throwoff, 3 vents, die cast on top, triple flanged on bottom, in a clear gloss finish. absolutely love it! and especially love the wooden badge he did for me :)
That's a nice touch with the cast batter hoop & triple flanged reso hoop, & I'm really liking the badge too. This is a really well thought out "players" drum = nice!

KIS, do you know more about manipulating wood veneers? What do you think
how many finishes are manipulated today, say from ALPI? I mean apart from
some obvious ones...
I'm not too well up on modern processed veneers. I do know that it's common practice to use mild dying to "match" veneers from different batches, but selective disassembly & reconstitution of veneers is a new one on me. As I deal only in solid timber, I'm afraid I'm deeply biased. Veneer was developed primarily as a means of saving money, & it's use is no different today. Putting the effort into the surface you can see is something most of us have come to accept. It's in every part of our life, from chicks to drums. Personally, I'm just as interested in the substance beneath the surface.

I'm really not liking manufactured representations of nature. Don't get me wrong, some of them look very cool, it's just not for me. As an example, compare the images on these two site pages, & take a wild guess which I would choose :)

http://www.cookwoods.com/lumber-site/shop/category/wood-by-species/cocobolo/page/2/

http://www.alpi.it/uk/ListaProdotti.asp?IDSC=14

And while I'm on the subject of forum members, I've just sent this picture to the same forum member. Probably the nicest cocobolo steam bent shell I've ever seen (unfinished). In fact, there's a whole traditional sizes bop kit worth of unfinished shells sitting in the kiln right now, hmmmm :)

Attachments

• cocobolo steam bent.jpg
    cocobolo steam bent.jpg
    811.4 KB · Views: 1,516
When talking about woodies....

Is it wrong to oil inside of the shells????

I think oil (danish or tung, not lemon oil, motoer oil etc.) is not only OK, but good for the wood. I feel the inside needs some treatment, however with snarees especially, a hard coated like clear urethane, poly etc. will not do the acoustics any favours IMO, a more natural rougher finish will give you more control and bottom end. Danish oil penetrates and protects the wood without making it hard and reflective. I also use bees wax on occasion over the oil.

I think oil (danish or tung, not lemon oil, motoer oil etc.) is not only OK, but good for the wood. I feel the inside needs some treatment, however with snarees especially, a hard coated like clear urethane, poly etc. will not do the acoustics any favours IMO, a more natural rougher finish will give you more control and bottom end. Danish oil penetrates and protects the wood without making it hard and reflective. I also use bees wax on occasion over the oil.
Superb advice! :) :)

Back