College to study drum set and something else

Shaneola

College to study drums?

What's up guys.. I'm actually currently a freshman as community college studying general studies because I don't know exactly what I want to do. I've found that all I really want to do is drum, though. Here's where I'm at:

I would like a college with a great percussion program, specifically drum set.. Like contemporary stuff. But I would also like to major in something else, perhaps chemistry, so double majoring in drums and chemistry. This knocks Berklee, etc. out of the picture.

Most of the programs I have found seem to be percussion majors with an emphasis on classical methods and whatnot, which is definitely better than nothing, but if possible I would really like to focus on drum set methods; stuff for playing in rock bands, that is really my dream.

One last thing, I'm definitely open to all suggestions, and they are much appreciated.. But I am from Maryland and if possible I would like to stay at least moderately close; 2 to 4 hours away (Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio) would be fine. This is just a preference, not absolutely necessary. Thank you in advance!

TL;DR - I want to study contemporary drums as well as something else, possibly chemistry, as a double major. What are some good drumming programs at schools that are not music specific? If possible I would like to stay close to Maryland but it't not essential.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I can't help you with which colleges have the best drum programs, but as far as what else to study you should be plenty busy getting in your prerequisites for the first couple of years. Try taking courses that will enable you to get credit in a wide variety of majors. Chemistry, algebra, trig, english, biology, and history are good places to start. Statistics would be a good one too.

Can you stretch it to INDIANA ?

Call Steve Houghton............legendary jazz (and rock) drummer.............he is now the percussion guy at the school of music at Indiana University. He used to be at the percussion school in L.A.

His thing is jazz but you need to talk to him about your rock interest.............he can do it all.

I'm sure Indiana can do well for you in Chemistry too !

link :

http://info.music.indiana.edu/faculty/current/houghton-steve.shtml

I have yet to see a state college that adequately preps a student for 'Rock' Art Styles.

Jazz and Classical...yes...

Can you stretch it to INDIANA ?

Call Steve Houghton............legendary jazz (and rock) drummer.............he is now the percussion guy at the school of music at Indiana University. He used to be at the percussion school in L.A.

His thing is jazz but you need to talk to him about your rock interest.............he can do it all.

I'm sure Indiana can do well for you in Chemistry too !

link :

http://info.music.indiana.edu/faculty/current/houghton-steve.shtml

I guess it depends on whether the college let's you study music and another subject together. I'm sure there are colleges that do this.

Most 4-year colleges will have a music department. And most music departments at 4-year colleges brag about how many non music majors they have playing in ensembles. So finding a school that lets you take music classes, play in ensembles, and take lessons will be easy.

The tricky part will be finding one that lets you emphasize the drum set. Honestly, I'm not sure that's necessarily the best avenue. There are plenty of opportunities to take drum set lessons from highly qualified instructors outside of the formal education system. Likewise, there are plenty of places to play the drums on your own. Most college music programs are geared more towards orchestral, wind ensemble, marching band, or jazz band type settings. They also have plenty of classes covering theory, composition, and music history. All of these will contribute to your dream of being a rock and roll drummer. And they are harder to find outside of academia than drum set lessons.

In your shoes I'd focus on either jazz band or marching band. Many members of college marching bands had never done marching band prior to college. Also, some colleges encourage students to form their own jazz combos which can be pretty interesting. Either way, you will meet all sorts of other musicians. That's perhaps the biggest benefit of college music programs.

In a nutshell, I wouldn't focus too much on formally studying the drum set in college. Instead, I'd look for opportunities to learn some theory, expand your horizons, and meet as many musicians as you can.

I considered adding drum set to my mechanical engineering degree. I went with something simpler though, to give myself breaks from all the math.

I can't tell you which schools have good drum set programs up there, but I'd suggest picking a second major that you can land a steady, reliable job in. A lot of BA or BS degrees will land you a teaching job at best. If you don't care what your second major is, just find whatever is available after you choose the drum set program you think you like best. Keep in mind it's very common for people to switch schools after the first year or so.

Something I personally recommend is to get your AA from a 2 year college first. The professors there usually care more about your learning more than at a 4 year school. You'll get through the lower level and general education classes actually learning things instead of being treated pooly by a 4 year institution who is trying to get you to repeat classes or drop out. Two year schools are often much less expensive as well.

Shane -

First off you should consider yourself ahead of "the game" by being willing to seek advise from older folks and having a clear idea about what you want to be - a drummer. I don't have a lot to offer as far as which school to go to but I will suggest that the most important thing to do is to GRADUATE! Any degree 4 year degree will open doors for you. I was a political science major with an English minor - you know what I do for a living? I am a database administrator - totally unrelated to my education. What I found was, with a degree I was given a chance to prove myself. Employers knew that if I started something that I would finish it and that I had a reasonable level of intelligence. Whatever you do graduate at all costs!

MM

You could always have a double major, one in drumming and one as an Orthopdic Surgeon. I've discovered at my age that the two share a similar bond.

Seriously though find something that intrigues you to the point where you could imagine doing it all week long if you don't become the pro musician you imagined.

Re: College to study drums?

What's up guys.. I'm actually currently a freshman as community college studying general studies because I don't know exactly what I want to do. I've found that all I really want to do is drum, though. Here's where I'm at:

I would like a college with a great percussion program, specifically drum set.. Like contemporary stuff. But I would also like to major in something else, perhaps chemistry, so double majoring in drums and chemistry. This knocks Berklee, etc. out of the picture.

Most of the programs I have found seem to be percussion majors with an emphasis on classical methods and whatnot, which is definitely better than nothing, but if possible I would really like to focus on drum set methods; stuff for playing in rock bands, that is really my dream.

One last thing, I'm definitely open to all suggestions, and they are much appreciated.. But I am from Maryland and if possible I would like to stay at least moderately close; 2 to 4 hours away (Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio) would be fine. This is just a preference, not absolutely necessary. Thank you in advance!

TL;DR - I want to study contemporary drums as well as something else, possibly chemistry, as a double major. What are some good drumming programs at schools that are not music specific? If possible I would like to stay close to Maryland but it't not essential.

Thanks!!

It is a little bit farther than you might want to go, but Belmont University in Nashville is a top rated music school, ahead of their next door neighbor Vandy. Plus they offer a 1st rate education in other areas. I, obviously, graduated from there with a Major In Business and a Minor in History. I was no where even close to being a good enough drummer to get into their program. Just a thought, Good Luck!

In the area you are in between Univ. of Maryland and VTech, UVA, William & Mary.... there are dozens of universities. You should contact all of them and see who has a program that appeals to you.

Wisconsin likes to include non music majors into their ensembles.

It is a little bit farther than you might want to go, but Belmont University in Nashville is a top rated music school, ahead of their next door neighbor Vandy. Plus they offer a 1st rate education in other areas. I, obviously, graduated from there with a Major In Business and a Minor in History. I was no where even close to being a good enough drummer to get into their program. Just a thought, Good Luck!

I will definitely look into it. It looks like I'm gonna be applying for the fall of 2015 so I would need to audition by September of this year. Thank you to everyone who gave advice, it was all great and very helpful.

@MasterCylinder Indiana is definitely on my list, thank you!

Thanks again to everyone! I have 8 or 9 months before I start applying, so feel free to keep the suggestions coming everyone, all are appreciated!

Dear it is really great to find that you have plans to learn music. Music is something which will make you relax and make you hormones run wild. Learning music you can have the admission to some of the best colleges available but even if you want to learn something extra you can always log in online to some of the websites available on the web who teaches music via chat tools. They are very flexible on your timing and very pocket friendly too. Note that the teachers are some of the greats in their fields. So go ahead and have a great music carrier.

MasterCylinder Indiana is definitely on my list, thank you!

I took private lessons on jazz drum set from Steve Houghton at a college in Dallas, Texas in 1977................at that time, Steve had just finished his drum set education at what was then known as North Texas State where he played for the legendary one o'clock lab band (big band jazz) under the direction of the late, great Leon Breeden.

Leon sent more great big band players to the tonight show than any other school.

North Texas State (now the University of North Texas) is the only college I know of that has a school of music and a school of jazz and they are not associated in any way.............a completely different approach and degree plan.

Some of the best big band music I have ever heard..............the first time I ever witnessed a rehearsal of the one o'clock lab band, Mr. Breeden walked in a handed out charts to a song they had never seen before...............I recognized it as "Vulcan Worlds" (by Stanley Clarke).............they played it, not perfect but, really well on the first try...........incredibly impressive, not just in technical instrumental playing abilities but the chart-reading was unbelievable.

Straight down the coast to the University of Miami. I am from Maryland and you are only 2 hours away by plane and the weather and the female students are gorgeous. And if I remember right, Towson University, my alma mater, had a great music program under Hank Levy

Has anyone tried the College Drum Classes at MI College of Contemporary Music? My goal is to major in instrumental performance. I think I could also try some courses with contemporary music emphasis and drum set centered studies. I also found good reviews about Drumtech, but it's in London, and I'm not ready to abroad just yet.

Has anyone tried the College Drum Classes at MI College of Contemporary Music? My goal is to major in instrumental performance. I think I could also try some courses to learn the basics and write my essay cheap with contemporary music emphasis and drum set centered studies. I also found good reviews about Drumtech, but it's in London, and I'm not ready to abroad just yet. And one more thing: I don't have much money to pay for the courses.

Any experience with The Drummer's Collective classes in NY, btw?

Back